Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tallboy seat with non adjustable backrest fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:45 PM
GlideDriver
Cruiser
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Tallboy seat with non adjustable backrest fitment

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for mods to move my backrest back a couple inches or so to fit my tallboy seat without pushing me forward. I've searched the forums but I can't see any pics from photobucket.

I read that some had bent the backrest rods and I'd like to know where and how much to bend, or is it trial and error? Do you need to put two bends in it so everything lines up?

Does anyone have pictures of a way to put the receiver in backwards?

If you are running a tallboy seat with a H-D backrest please add your thoughts and solutions.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have a solution for you man, but my tallboy, with about 400 miles on it , hangs in my garage and was replaced by Mustang Summitt with backrest. It does sound like bending the rods may work....bend a little and ride.....bend a little and ride....until you find that sweet spot.

I just didn't like the seat nor how the backrest fit with it .

Old 02-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I run the Tallboy HD saddle with the HD non-adjustable backrest on my Limited, so I think your question is relevant to my situation...

I installed the backrest support bracketology to the frame and rear fender in the most rearward position at the time of install. There were several mounting holes from which to choose, so I just made sure that it was installed as far back as possible.

Maybe check how/where yours is bolted up.

Then I run the backrest down into the under-seat support such that it locks into the lowest position (of 3).

I've thought about altering the spring-loaded pad-support rods, but really have found no good reason to do so yet.

At 6'4" and 220lb, this works well for me.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:03 AM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

There are 2 different brackets that bolt to the fender. One places the backrest further back. I have both brackets, they look alike but there is a big difference when they are side by side. I have mine as far back as possible and could use a bit more. I am considering bending the back rest arms.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanebo
I run the Tallboy HD saddle with the HD non-adjustable backrest on my Limited, so I think your question is relevant to my situation...

I installed the backrest support bracketology to the frame and rear fender in the most rearward position at the time of install. There were several mounting holes from which to choose, so I just made sure that it was installed as far back as possible.

Maybe check how/where yours is bolted up.

Then I run the backrest down into the under-seat support such that it locks into the lowest position (of 3).

I've thought about altering the spring-loaded pad-support rods, but really have found no good reason to do so yet.

At 6'4" and 220lb, this works well for me.

Good luck.
I did these things plus, at the suggestion of someone in another thread on this forum, put a couple washers under the front attachment point to tilt it back further which also helped. I had thought about ending the rods, but that seemed very imprecise and unlikely to produce a uniform result left side vs. right side.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,243 Posts

If you mount at the most rear position on the bracket under the seat and adjust the set screw inside the backrest pad for the final adjustment, you should have a lot of room.