Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleed

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
No problem with the mix of DOT 4's, but this will keep it at a minimum:
Using a cheap turkey baster, remove all brake fluid from the reservoir, refill with the new type fluid. THEN Mity vac fluid down and out the bleeders, keep filling the master with the new type fluid as to not run out of fluid. When new fluid is all thru the system, proceed to the other and repeat. Same way with speed bleeders.
I always start my bleeding procedure this way, it is more effective in less time.
Otherwise, many folks just move old fluid down the line, and put new fluid in the reservoir.
Think about it...
I thought about this procedure myself but always worry that no matter how careful, that baster cant hold the fluid from running out and Id get a splash. Kind of like grabbing some broth for gravy Lol. Ends up over the side of the pan onto the stove...Happy wife,,,Lol

Old 02-18-2018, 09:17 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Have your catch container right next to the reservoir and just quickly do the old "Switcharoo".

Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I thought about this procedure myself but always worry that no matter how careful, that baster cant hold the fluid from running out and Id get a splash. Kind of like grabbing some broth for gravy Lol. Ends up over the side of the pan onto the stove...Happy wife,,,Lol
Go to the farm supply and get a large horse syringe. That shouldn't drip.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

With the Bikemaster bleeder I just vacuum it right out of the master cylinder, then refill with new fluid, hook the lines to the bleeders and vacuum again until I see new fluid......top up and done.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Can anyone tell me if its ok to mix the old style DOT 4 with the new Harley Platinum Label DOT 4 brake fluid while flushing? I picked up two bottles today to bleed my own brakes as Ive been doing and to change to the new recommended fluid.
Specs are all DOT 4 fluids are to be mixable without problem. I know of no instance where that wasn't the case.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:43 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguy
With the Bikemaster bleeder I just vacuum it right out of the master cylinder, then refill with new fluid, hook the lines to the bleeders and vacuum again until I see new fluid......top up and done.
We have several bleeders at the shop, bikemaster is one of them which we replace once in while. Another is the Mityvac, Part No: MV6830. We've never replaced the Mityvac, just new hoses once in while. The Mityvac beats all others hands down, it'll pull a golf ball through a garden hose. You actually have to be careful how much you open the bleeder valve or it will pull too much. I've never had a problem with air being retained in the line or joints with the Mityvac.