Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Life Saver Horn Lever (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1219437-life-saver-horn-lever.html)

HDV-GLIDE 02-19-2018 01:18 PM

Life Saver Horn Lever

I was able to obtain a free Life Saver Horn lever to try out.

It's a nice concept but unless your grips are about 5"+ long (grab area), the screw assembly on the hose clamp makes for an uncomfortable grip/ride.

If they could figure out a way to have a somewhat smooth mounting device to secure the lever to the grip it may be a worth while investment.

I tried sending the company a PM but I have not heard back from them and the original thread has been locked.

BTW - I'm using Avon Contoured Grips on my SG.

hbsoldier3 02-19-2018 01:56 PM

I'm still waiting on my freebie.

Jackie Paper 02-19-2018 02:13 PM

So now you can hit the horn. Still sort of like the bug giving the windshield the old middle finger about 3' before he greets it.

7125 02-20-2018 01:39 PM

received mine today can not get it on grip I have covers on mine so my buddy has a 99 I will let him try it

Brewmany 02-20-2018 03:43 PM

Got mine a couple days ago but have not tried to install it yet.

Ragtop 02-20-2018 08:48 PM

They told me I was too late, but got one anyway.
Will update when I try it out.
At first sight, it looks like a lot of plastic to have on your grip area.
I suppose if you don't care about looks, it could be ok.
I just like to keep my bars clean and neat as much as possible, and
this is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Deucedog 02-20-2018 09:44 PM

I got mine last year and still haven't figured how to make it fit with the ISO grips. It seems to be designed for the small diameter stock grips.

rjg883c 02-20-2018 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by RIPSAW (Post 17106012)
So now you can hit the horn. Still sort of like the bug giving the windshield the old middle finger about 3' before he greets it.

Or announcing to the windshield that it, the bug, is there. Or in motorcycle/cage terms, the motorcycle letting the cage know it is there. Useless if the motorcycle waits until a crash is imminent, but possibly a life saving action if the motorcycle rider has enough situational awareness to 'announce' his presence before things are about to 'hit the fan'?

rjg883c 02-20-2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by 7125 (Post 17109333)
received mine today can not get it on grip I have covers on mine so my buddy has a 99 I will let him try it

I have fat grips and moved the switch to the right and mounted the gizmo on the handlebar, instead of the grip. I also used the little black hose clamp included in the box instead of the included clamp that looks better. A useless addition if someone depends on loud pipes to make noise. But for anyone that values a horn, for any reason, this is a worthwhile addition, IMO.

rjg883c 02-20-2018 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ragtop (Post 17110629)
They told me I was too late, but got one anyway.
Will update when I try it out.
At first sight, it looks like a lot of plastic to have on your grip area.
I suppose if you don't care about looks, it could be ok.
I just like to keep my bars clean and neat as much as possible, and
this is going to stick out like a sore thumb.

It does 'stick out', but since it is chrome it doesn't look terrible.