Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to you Road Glide owners...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,188 Likes on 5,615 Posts

Thanks guys, the Road Glide is the only HD touring bike I have not ridden. I'm still not sold on the looks of the fairing and I don't know how I would like the fairing staying stationary while turning the bars.

Someone above mentioned the other advantages of a RG. Anyone care to elaborate on that? What does the RG do better than a Road King or EG?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:13 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I enjoy mine a lot!! Got just over 50K on the road and never and issue. I am also old school from the Vetter Faring days of the 80's so I like the fixed unit in the front verses the handlebar mount.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
how is the wind buffeting on a Road Glide? Does the shark nose give good protection from wind & rain? Is there wind from under the fairing that makes your head move around? I currently own a Road King with a tall windshield and I used to own an Electra Glide with the stock height windshield. How does the Road Glide compare to those bikes as far as wind?
Everyone perceives things differently I suppose, and since it’s on a bike wind will always be an issue, that said compared to my street glide my road glide is light years smoother and way more stable, I’ll never go back to a batwing

Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Thanks guys, the Road Glide is the only HD touring bike I have not ridden. I'm still not sold on the looks of the fairing and I don't know how I would like the fairing staying stationary while turning the bars.

Someone above mentioned the other advantages of a RG. Anyone care to elaborate on that? What does the RG do better than a Road King or EG?
The fixed thing is a bit odd at first, it’s most notocsble at walking speeds, but you get used to it fast,it’s not even noticeable at speed. Test ride one for sure

Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I came off of a Road King and onto a Road Glide Special this year. Immediately, buffeting with the stock shield was absolutely horrible. I noticed that on the test ride, and ordered a shield from Freedom Shields to throw on there as soon as I got it home. I also ordered some wind deflectors that go on the lower portion of the fairing on either side, but to be honest the Freedom Shield was such an improvement I still haven't put on those additional wind deflectors. Its so much better now.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

You get used to it pretty quick, cause once you think about it, if you’re watching the fairing NOT move as you’re turning, and not looking ahead through your turn, you’re doing something very very wrong.
I have the Ultra (hard lowers) and the first time I rode through some moderate rain without the rain gear on, I was honestly very surprised at how dry I stayed.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Oh I should also add that the fixed fairing did not take any adjustment (for me anyways) it was just as natural as the RK. I dont know if its that way for everybody, but I dont pay any mind to the fairing or the position of the bars relative to the fairing while riding. If you've ever ridden a sport bike, its the same thing just smaller fairings. Unless its a naked bike without a fairing.

There IS more wind in general than the way I had my RK set up. It had a LRS and the fork wind deflectors (fangs) and it was incredibly smooth. The RG is more open, more windflow overall, but after the previously mentioned windshield change, its very pleasant. I am sure if I put the fairing mounted wind deflectors on, it would be just as smooth as the RK.

I test rode the SG/EG. The fairing was way too close for me. It just seemed like it was right up in my face. I prefer the looks of the shark nose over the batwing anyway, so it ended up working out.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

What does the RG do better than a Road King or EG?
...... since they are all the same framed machines, there is little 'quantifiable' difference... it's all about how you feel behind the screen
... i know from experience that having the fairing mounted to said frame eliminates any incidental wind inflection transmitting thru the bars
...... after 10-12 hrs of burning 5-700 miles on a long distance run, that is a welcome elimination.
........ rent one, ride it all day, form your own opinion

Old 02-22-2018, 01:48 PM
snafu
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I always thought they were fugly and frankly made fun of them for a long time. A riding buddy suggested I take one for a test ride, which I did, and bought it. While she may not be the prettiest belle at the ball, she sure can dance! I love the new M8 and the way this bike handles on the freeway.

As others have said, wind buffeting is negligible. The steering and handling at low speed seems easier to me and it handles similarly to my old RKC. The biggest issue I came across was adjusting to the new hydraulic clutch, but that didn't take long.

Until you test ride one, you will not be able to make an informed decision. I never thought I would own one, but couldn't be happier now.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:09 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,188 Likes on 5,615 Posts

I can see how the low speed steering would be better than an EG. I loved my 04 Electra Glide but at parking lot speeds the steering was very heavy with that fairing attached to the bars. That's not a problem with the shark nose I assume?

Quick Reply: Question to you Road Glide owners...