Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to you Road Glide owners...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:26 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Yes!

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
how is the wind buffeting on a Road Glide? Does the shark nose give good protection from wind & rain? Is there wind from under the fairing that makes your head move around? I currently own a Road King with a tall windshield and I used to own an Electra Glide with the stock height windshield. How does the Road Glide compare to those bikes as far as wind?
Its well known that Road Glide riders have a lot of wind - keep them behind you!

The following users liked this post:
Bubba Zanetti (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:29 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

I can see how the low speed steering would be better than an EG. I loved my 04 Electra Glide but at parking lot speeds the steering was very heavy with that fairing attached to the bars. That's not a problem with the shark nose I assume?
It’s much lighter, feels like a sport bike in comparison

Old 02-22-2018, 02:30 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,280 Likes on 2,348 Posts

The pre '15 RG's had air deflectors mounted to the neck on either side and down to the bars. These deflectors moved air up just between the rider and fairing. I drove with out them and experienced some bobble head behind the fairing. The post "15's with the air slot in the fairing helps direct air to prevent the turbulence. At freeway speeds while passing semi's the was negligible buffeting from the truck and crosswind turbulence was at a minimum. Rain was a bit of a problem between the rider and fairing due to the lower deflectors pushing water up to the tank. Can be nose heavy in slow front wheel braking. I've ridden batwings and the shark , I like the shark.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:53 PM
snafu
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I can see how the low speed steering would be better than an EG. I loved my 04 Electra Glide but at parking lot speeds the steering was very heavy with that fairing attached to the bars. That's not a problem with the shark nose I assume?

I thought the front end would be heavy with the frame mounted fairing, but it doesn't seem that way to me. Low speed turns and parking are, in my opinion, much easier and less taxing than with the batwing. I ride two up quite often and have not had any issues.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Stickman53
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

What does the RG do better than a Road King or EG?

For me the feather-light steering on the RG is why I prefer it over the the RK and EG...I’ve been riding my 09 shark for 8 years and had an Ultra previously for 3 years.....yeah we’re all grown men and can handle any handlebar forces with ease, but for me that light steering just enhances the free feeling I get when I ride....also dig the fairing further away from my face....

Old 02-22-2018, 07:10 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The one thing that no one has mentioned that I don't like about my RGU is that when the sun is slightly behind you the infotainment screen reflects it in your face and blinds you. Besides that I like my RGU better in every way over my 12 & 14 Limiteds

Bigaj2 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
The one thing that no one has mentioned that I don't like about my RGU is that when the sun is slightly behind you the infotainment screen reflects it in your face and blinds you. Besides that I like my RGU better in every way over my 12 & 14 Limiteds
I don't have a problem with it blinding me/reflecting the sun as much as there being times when the information on the screen is neigh impossible to see because of the glare. So yes, that is an issue.
(not disputing Greg, just saying my mileage is varying)

Old 02-22-2018, 07:58 PM
snafu
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jbfb
I don't have a problem with it blinding me/reflecting the sun as much as there being times when the information on the screen is neigh impossible to see because of the glare. So yes, that is an issue.
(not disputing Greg, just saying my mileage is varying)
Same here. It can be difficult to see the screen when the sun is behind you, albeit a minor issue.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 PM
nobodyknowsme
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,640 Likes on 6,421 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
I have the deflectors on the crash bars, not sure if they help but I think they do. With the stock small shield on the current RGS, I had a TON of buffeting with a FF helmet. I like to ride with my shield open, and once I hit 45 I had to close my shield. This bothered me because my CBR1000RR did not have the same issue, I could go however fast I wanted simply with more wind in my face, but not buffeting.

So, I ended up just removing the stock shield from my RGS, which I believed was creating a vortex of dirty air behind it and causing the buffeting. Its perfect now, and I can go as fast as I want with my shield open. However, I wouldn't mind having a tall shield for less mind on long trips, protection in the rain, and riding the wife.
Try taking those deflectors off. I had one from one of my last Road Glides. Lost the other. Put it (old style) on my new RGS when I got it and could really feel the difference. I ordered a new set ASAP and yes, they help.

Yeah, stock shield sucked. Replaced it with an LRS ASAP. Life is about as good as it can get until they offer a shorter version later this year. I never have a shield to look through, but over.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I don’t have one nor have I owned one. That said, everyone I have ever talked to that has a RG, without exception has told me they wouldn’t want anything else.

Bigaj2 (02-23-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question to you Road Glide owners...