Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket windshields

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

LRS sale ended at midnight on the 28th of February. That said my new 8" Ultra recurve will be delivered by 8pm tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

Just a word of caution....Polycarbonate, is the material of choice for shatter resistance. Not sure if LRS makes ALL of their shields out of Polycarbonate or not, but it's something to check. It's costly, so some cheaper shields arn't made from it. A few years ago I saw a demonstration using a hammer and a few sample windshieds made from a variety of plastics. The Polycarbonate one held up great, the others, not so much. Most all materials will scratch but my greatest fear is a shield shattering from a rock or stone while I ride. So make sure you know exactly what material the shield is made from before you buy.

Last edited by Rob175; 03-02-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:50 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob175
Just a word of caution....Polycarbonate, is the material of choice for shatter resistance. Not sure if LRS makes ALL of their shields out of Polycarbonate or not, but it's something to check. It's costly, so some cheaper shields arn't made from it. A few years ago I saw a demonstration using a hammer and a few sample windshieds made from a variety of plastics. The Polycarbonate one held up great, the others, not so much. Most all materials will scratch but my greatest fear is a shield shattering from a rock or stone while I ride. So make sure you know exactly what material the shield is made from before you buy.

From LRS

“Currently, most LRS windshields are made from Impact Modified Acrylic. Our ELITE series of windshields are made from Glass-Coated Polycarbonate material.”

https://longrideshields.com/pages/support

I have owned both regular and elite versions of LRS shields, and am very happy with the quality. In talking with Matt, there are pros and cons to both. Scratch resistance and or being able to polish out scratches is the main difference.

If I recall correctly (don’t quote me here, read below and Call LRS to be certain), the ELITE shields with their hard coating resist scratches, but it they do get scratched, they cant be polished out, whereas the less expensive acrylic are less scratch resistant, but, can be polished to like new easily.

The basic acrylic shields are VERY budget friendly, but the ELITE shields won’t break the bank either.

I continue to recommend LRS, and, I will continue being a customer. Call and talk to Matt, or catch one of regular sales, you will get a great deal.

More ore info from the above support link =

“Acrylic, Impact Modified Acrylic, and Polycarbonate

Acrylic (Trade names Plexiglas and Lucite) is one of the most transparent (Clear) materials known. It is used to make fiber optics which transmit light signals over long distances. While acrylic has greater impact resistance than glass, it is breakable.

Impact Modified Acrylic (IMA) is made by adding butyrate to Acrylic and significantly improves its impact strength. We have had a UPS truck drive over one of our Ultra windshields to prove that it can take a beating. IMA has moderate scratch resistance because of its relative hardness and is an good choice for windshields. Scratches can be buffed out. Several major brand names of windshields for motorcycles are made from IMA.

Polycarbonate (Trade names Lexan and Makrolon) was dubbed early on as the “Unbreakable Plastic”. Compared to Acrylic, it is softer and tougher (leather-like) than acrylic. In its general purpose form, polycarbonate is not a good material for windshields because it scratches easily and is UV susceptible. When a mar resistant (Glass) coating is applied to the outer surfaces, it becomes an excellent material for windshields. The cost of coated polycarbonate material, plus additional processing time drive up the price of this type of windshield.”

Last edited by HM_SanDiego; 03-02-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I have purchased Freedom Shields and LRS! Both are great products at good prices LRS has some really good sales from time to time like 70% or so. Great deal! Fit and finish as well as customer support are the best. Good luck

Old 03-11-2018, 06:51 PM
CageyKG
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
8" Memphis Shades Ghost windshield, top 2" is clear, the rest is smoked, really works good.
Do you have a better picture of your shield? I am considering the same one.

EDIT: Just realized you're on an Ultra and not a Road Glide. Never mind!

Last edited by CageyKG; 03-11-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by CageyKG
Do you have a better picture of your shield? I am considering the same one.

EDIT: Just realized you're on an Ultra and not a Road Glide. Never mind!
In my signature picture below, I'm running a 6.5 inch Memphis Shade shield. Love it.

The following users liked this post:
CageyKG (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've bought several windshields over the years. Harley, LRS, Memphis Shades & Freedom Shields. In my opinion, Freedom Shields are by far the best, but they are also a bit more expensive.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I owned several of them over the years, mostly LRS and HD, and if found that the best but also the most expensive is Klock Werks. I'm using one now and it's great. Just my opinion.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:39 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Check out Clearview Shields, they have a sale going on right now and make a recurve

Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I have the Mega-Curve, along with every other shields they sell for my bike except a Flat top. I did not notice any substantial difference between the Recurve and Mega Curve. My favorite is the Mega Wide.
I'm glad I read this. I was considering on getting a mega-curve to replace my recurve but if there isn't much difference I reckon I'll save my dollars!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket windshields