Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dot 4 Platinum label brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Motul RBF660 or RBF600 for mine. But I recommend you buy the absolute cheapest, oldest brake fluid you can find. I enjoy watching poor people crash their toys.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:44 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Bought four bottles of Prestone DOT4 at Autozone for $.97 each.
Is it Synthetic and recommended for ABS?

At that price point maybe not.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:11 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,735 Likes on 3,504 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Is it Synthetic and recommended for ABS?

At that price point maybe not.
No, it's DOT4, recommended for DOT4 specifications

Old 03-11-2018, 11:16 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Motul RBF660 or RBF600 for mine. But I recommend you buy the absolute cheapest, oldest brake fluid you can find. I enjoy watching poor people crash their toys.
I'm guessing you pay extra for E3 plugs as well? This is turning into an oil thread. I wonder where people put their Master Cyl cap when adding brake fluid?

Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

And I enjoy watching fools being parted wit their money for useless upgrades. Makes this site very entertaining at times.
Speaking of oil it might be time to change the oil on the bike, it's got 1500 miles on it...

The following users liked this post:
Peter Griffin (07-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:25 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

And away we go.....

Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Well, first thing, I reckon OP's question would have probably best directed toward the people behind the counter in the moment rather than us speculate about it.

That said, I will speculate...had the same deal at my local dealership. They had four cases of Platinum DOT 4 on hand, and they didn't know why they couldn't put it out on the shelves. But I suspect that it's because the local dealerships really don't know exactly how many recalls that they will be doing, and it's far more important to them to be able to handle those versus selling the stuff outright. And I suspect that the word to hold onto it for recall comes from on high, whether that means dealership management, or a directive from the MoCo.

I do not share the view that Platinum DOT 4 is the same as the more generic stuff. I am under the same understanding as Big Mike. I've had the recall work done, easy peasy, 45 minutes, and from here on in, I'll have the flush done at the dealership every two years. I have the skills and technology to do the flush, but this is a job that I'll leave to the dealership.

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Well, first thing, I reckon OP's question would have probably best directed toward the people behind the counter in the moment rather than us speculate about it.

That said, I will speculate...had the same deal at my local dealership. They had four cases of Platinum DOT 4 on hand, and they didn't know why they couldn't put it out on the shelves. But I suspect that it's because the local dealerships really don't know exactly how many recalls that they will be doing, and it's far more important to them to be able to handle those versus selling the stuff outright. And I suspect that the word to hold onto it for recall comes from on high, whether that means dealership management, or a directive from the MoCo.

I do not share the view that Platinum DOT 4 is the same as the more generic stuff. I am under the same understanding as Big Mike. I've had the recall work done, easy peasy, 45 minutes, and from here on in, I'll have the flush done at the dealership every two years. I have the skills and technology to do the flush, but this is a job that I'll leave to the dealership.
To each his own but a pair of Speed Bleeders and a container of DOT 4 recommended for ABS will be a lot, lot cheaper than a visit to the dealership and without worry that they will damage your paint by spilling some fluid on it...
I also think if you read the material makeup on the HD container, it's probably the same as the Prestone Synthetic DOT4 container at over half off.....

Old 03-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,783 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
And away we go.....

Old 03-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
I'm guessing you pay extra for E3 plugs as well? This is turning into an oil thread. I wonder where people put their Master Cyl cap when adding brake fluid?
Well no. I prefer NGK DCPR7ERX-P Ruthenium racing spark plugs. Too expensive for most people. Available only from Japan so I always keep a few around. But I recommend putting the cheapest possible spark plug in your engine. I enjoy watching poor people load their motors on trailers.
ngk-racingsparkplugs.com/iridium-rx dcpr7erx-P

Last edited by Sierra977; 03-11-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Dot 4 Platinum label brake fluid