Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brake Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
Seriously.

Fact- it’s an automotive engineering standard for ABS systems to fail soft, leaving the basic brakes function unaffected. You simply lose ABS, not brake function. Harley made a point to specifically state that this was the case with their ABS system when they first added it to new bikes. But the Chinese assembly doesn’t work that way, and for Harley to blame owners maintenance schedules for this is criminal. The fluid going bad and causing the hard failures is a really lame attempt at smoke and mirrors.

Oh and then let’s add insult to injury and charge the people we lied to THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to fix it.
YES!!! People need to wake up and use their dam brains...

Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by 111111bw
My questions are? First, all my personal four wheeled vehicles have ABS on them, why can these units operate for years without any braking problem and never having to change the fluid? Secondly, What did Harley do to the 2013 systems to change this problem? Why can't this be retro fitted on the earlier models?

Question 1:

All DOT 4 systems will absorb moisture and it has negative affects on the entire system.

Your four wheeled vehicles should have the fluid changed at recommended intervals... all hydraulic systems need the fluid changed at periodic intervals... been that way for many, many years...

The reason your 4 wheel vehicles have not yet had a problem is due to the amount of fluid contained in a car v motorcycle system, and the fact that car ABS units are probably designed, as most are, to fail in a mode that allows braking, just doesn't allow for ABS to work.... note:If you've ever had to rebuild wheel brake cylinders (drum brakes) and/or calipers (disk brakes)... then you HAVE had a problem that probably would have been avoided by proper flushing of the system

Question 2:

I know that with the reflex brakes (2014), the MoCo switched to a different manufacturer/module for the ABS system. But I've yet to read the difference between the pre Rushmore ABS systems. From 2009 thru 2013, the ABS modulator assembly was part #48343-09 with no update letters added. So unless they are trying to hide a change (like with the M8 oil pumps), they are the same parts, same issues, and same maintenance requirements....

Old 03-12-2018, 07:32 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I definitely feel that the change was/is being hidden. They went from ChinaCrap to Bosch, a very reputable manufacturer. I’m willing to bet that my 2015 SG will fail “safe” if it ever fails at all.

I hope this BS really bites them hard in the end. Motorcycling is risky enough without the quest for profit costing lives.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I definitely feel that the change was/is being hidden. They went from ChinaCrap to Bosch, a very reputable manufacturer. I’m willing to bet that my 2015 SG will fail “safe” if it ever fails at all.

I hope this BS really bites them hard in the end. Motorcycling is risky enough without the quest for profit costing lives.
It is my understanding that the ABS will not fail "safe" if it's a mechanical failure. In other words, if the HCU fails in a closed position, like was being reported to the NHTSA and which eventually prompted the present recall, the brake fluid to the brake caliper(s) will be blocked by the failed circuit(s) and will lead to the "hard" foot brake pedal and/or hand brake lever. There is no way, at least the way the H-D system is presently designed, that the ABS electronic controller would know to fail "safe" under this condition. Like I said, that's my understanding.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Seriously.

Fact- it’s an automotive engineering standard for ABS systems to fail soft, leaving the basic brakes function unaffected. You simply lose ABS, not brake function. Harley made a point to specifically state that this was the case with their ABS system when they first added it to new bikes. But the Chinese assembly doesn’t work that way, and for Harley to blame owners maintenance schedules for this is criminal. The fluid going bad and causing the hard failures is a really lame attempt at smoke and mirrors.

Oh and then let’s add insult to injury and charge the people we lied to THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to fix it.
I know this is a forum and we are just talking here and I do agree there should be a failsafe for people who abuse their bikes and ignore maintenance schedules, after all that is the world we live in, its always some else's fault.

Bottom line is, there is NO brake recall, there is a recall to change the brake fluid in motorcycles because of owners failing to do scheduled maintenance. So they are getting a one time free brake fluid change.

Harley has since redesigned the system to safe guard the brake system for those who abuse it by not doing the required maintenance ... and again, It should be that way, brakes are important, Harley is not immune screwing up and not figuring out every possible problem due to owner abuse, its been solved in the new bikes, now if they abuse their system they will be able to stop. They will still have to deal with frozen calipers and other effects of not changing the fluid but they will be able to stop, yeah and ok, its kind of important if it can be engineered that way.

Ok, off to work I go ... )

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-13-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM
rfulford
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently purchased a 2011 Harley Ultra Limited with 64,000 miles on it. Well cared for from the records. Just prior to my purchase, the Honda dealership that took it in as a trade, sent it to a local Harley dealership for a ABS problem. They replaced the module along with whatever else was needed and charged the Honda dealership $1500 for the repair. The repair was done about 5 months ago. No problems so far. Now I see that there is a recall on the fluids. I took it to different Harley dealership and they verified by VIN that it did fall under the recall for fluid change. I advised them of the repair at another dealership, and he said that it still needed to be done.
I wondered if I went back to the dealership that did the repairs, to have the bike serviced for its 65,000 service, if they would replace the brake fluid on the recall or say that it didn't need it because of their recent repair? How would I know if they change it or not, if I have the other service done?

Last edited by rfulford; 03-13-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
I know this is a forum and we are just talking here and I do agree there should be a failsafe for people who abuse their bikes and ignore maintenance schedules, after all that is the world we live in, its always some else's fault.

Bottom line is, there is NO brake recall, there is a recall to change the brake fluid in motorcycles because of owners failing to do scheduled maintenance. So they are getting a one time free brake fluid change.

Harley has since redesigned the system to safe guard the brake system for those who abuse it by not doing the required maintenance ... and again, It should be that way, brakes are important, Harley is not immune screwing up and not figuring out every possible problem due to owner abuse, its been solved in the new bikes, now if they abuse their system they will be able to stop. They will still have to deal with frozen calipers and other effects of not changing the fluid but they will be able to stop, yeah and ok, its kind of important if it can be engineered that way.

Ok, off to work I go ... )
All of that is very reasonable

Except

There is no other vehicle, that I am aware of, that disables braking when the ABS fails. I have heard of no auto, truck, bus, van, motorcycle, plane or whatever that fails the same way. Lots of ABS failure but none that disable braking.

You are correct, the only recall is for fluid so that's what folks are stuck with. But it's not right and is dangerous and deserves a recall. And the MoCo is blaming users for something that's not a poblem on other vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
bikerlaw (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:27 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought my bike used three years ago. I've had the brake fluid flushed twice. Once when I first got it, and again the following June. I took my bike in yesterday for the ABS flush recall, and whamo...while in the shop (convenient) my ABS module fails and the front brake lever is hard.

Now I have no record of what the previous owner did or did not do, but it's been flushed twice in my ownership. I don't know if I should be suspicious that it magically failed on it's way from the storage lot to the digi tech, or thanking my lucky stars that it didn't happen on the freeway while riding to the dealership.

$545.30 to replace the module and I *might* have it back by the end of March.

Last edited by PPearl; 03-13-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:07 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I feel that there is more to this recall than meets the eye. Read it, all their blame is on the brake fluid, and only the brake fluid. "Flush the system at intervals not to exceed 2 years, or if moisture content reaches 3%". BS. The MoCo does not address why only these certain model years. There is more to this, beyond the brake fluid.
Flame away...

Old 03-13-2018, 01:28 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rfulford
... How would I know if they change it or not, if I have the other service done?
You can buy a brake fluid moisture analyzer for less than $20.00. Forget the two-year thing. Change the brake fluid when it's moisture content approaches 3%.

I'm not sure how they came up with the two-year interval. A bike in the deep south with high humidity levels will certainly need the fluid flushed more often than a bike in the southwestern deserts.

Quick Reply: ABS Brake Recall