Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Mart.com--IMO bad business

Old 03-13-2018, 02:27 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Battery Mart.com--IMO bad business

FYI
FYI,
I Have a usa made BIG CRANK etx30l battery 1.5 years old ( 1 year warranty) and looks like its beginning to fail. Had accessories on for 5 minutes while changing to DST, and battery voltage was 12.35. Hour later 12.46.
bike charging rate 14.3 is normal. This after a 30 minute ride.

Called company, and they did a DK ( see wall street movie ). Generously they offed me a 5% discount on a new 109.95 battrery, ie $5.49.
I thought they would stand behind this battery by offering a deep discount or something. They mentioned that I should get one year out of this battery.

Went to a national customer sat site, they get a 2.5 out of 10 rating, ie BAD.
I will not do business with these people anymore, some on the customer site complained of them selling inferior products. Guess I agree.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Seems to me that your readings are within the normal range IF it's starting the engine normally all the time. Keep in mind that the rule of thumb is that it normally takes about twenty miles of riding to recharge the battery to the level it was before you hit the start button.

Before I'd give up on that battery, I'd do a load test on it. Especially if it's starting the bike normally...now if the battery was falling into the 11 volt range, sure...

That said, if you've lost confidence on it, then by all means, replace it! Yeah, I know this isn't the subject of your thread, but I'd hate to see ya spend money you don't need to!

As far as your complaint goes, I'm a little puzzled. If the warranty is for one year...and it's half again that old...are you expecting a major warranty adjustment. It's gone beyond it's warranty period, they have no obligation to adjust it, and $5.49 is better than nothing at all.

What am I missing here?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Batteries Plus sells 2 batteries that fit my bike. A cheaper one with a one year warranty, and a more expensive one with a two year warranty. Why would you expect replacement, when you’re out of the warranty?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ron750:
Scudda (03-14-2018), Veekness (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:03 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Another one here that wonders what makes you think the battery is going bad? 12 volt batter putting out 12.35 then 12.46? Sounds good to me if you are strictly looking at voltage. I also wonder why you think they should honor a warranty when it expired 6 months ago. Buy a battery from the dealership. I think their warranty is six months.

I'll combine your two previous responses. Take the battery out after you have ridden for a while and then take it to your local Batteries Plus. They will load test it for free. If it's bad, you can buy the Duracell they sell with the two year warranty. Then if it fails in a year and half, you can take it back and talk to a real person and get a new battery.

As said before, unless it's dragging when it starts, it sounds like it will be fine.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I get about 2-3 years out of a ETXL30, about the same as I got out of my stock HD battery when I bought the bike...If I can get that out of a Sub $100 battery, I’m doing good.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,375 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
I Have a usa made BIG CRANK etx30l battery 1.5 years old ( 1 year warranty) and looks like its beginning to fail.

Generously they offed me a 5% discount on a new 109.95 battrery, ie $5.49.
I thought they would stand behind this battery by offering a deep discount or something.
Originally Posted by Ron750
Why would you expect replacement, when you’re out of the warranty?
I agree.....

Why should they give you a deep discount on an out of warranty battery.....?!?

News flash, the length of the warranty is directly proportional to the quality of the battery.....

There's always exceptions, but if you want a 1 year warranty battery to last 2-4 years... you're being unrealistic...

Last edited by hattitude; 03-13-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:36 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I hear what you are saying, however when the warranty is over you are out. You are at their mercy.
I recently had a security camera go bad out of warranty, I called them and they admitted it was out of warranty, but said "Send it to us, we will check it out, and we will see what we can do". They called me back a week or so later and said "Sorry, the unit is fried. It is out of warranty, however we can sell you another one brand new in the box - not refurbished - at a discounted rate". And it was! A heck of a deal! They allowed me to buy THREE more of them at the good rate! I am very happy all the way around, they did not have to do this, and I will keep trading with them.
That is what the battery company should have done for you, but they did not.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:51 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I guess I should expect a warranty, mine only lasted 4 years. JK. How is your bike starting? Any problems? Do you use a battery tender? How often do you ride? All things that can affect the life of the battery.

Toby

Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I had that same battery from them. It lasted for about a year and a half. Not great, but they fulfilled their obligation when it lasted a year. I bought my next one from Autozone.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

I have a 2 year old Mega Crank from them, the Chinese one.
I have not really taken care of it like I should, bike sitting for long periods without being started. Yet this battery is holding up better than the last 3 HD batteries did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Mart.com--IMO bad business