Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for lowering (Seat? Shocks? Blocks?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

I f you decide to get lowered shocks, make sure they are decent quality, Revo, Ohlins, Pro-Action, Bitubo etc...

Old 03-16-2018, 08:10 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I totally forgot about that frame drop section! That's yet another option for the OP with a newer bike.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I did not want to lower the bike for fear of changing the ride.
I had Mean City Cycles lower and narrow my seat and I had a shoemaker add 1/2" to my soles. It was just enough to make things work. I hope you get yours resolved. The dealer should be skilled at fitting the bike to you and get it right the first time. Good luck. You'll love the bike when done right.
BTW, a friend of mine always gets air adjustable suspension added to his bikes. He can lower it when stopped and raise is when under way with a button on the handlebars. Best of all solutions.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:27 AM
Brandon Warrick
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
I did not want to lower the bike for fear of changing the ride.
I had Mean City Cycles lower and narrow my seat and I had a shoemaker add 1/2" to my soles. It was just enough to make things work. I hope you get yours resolved. The dealer should be skilled at fitting the bike to you and get it right the first time. Good luck. You'll love the bike when done right.
BTW, a friend of mine always gets air adjustable suspension added to his bikes. He can lower it when stopped and raise is when under way with a button on the handlebars. Best of all solutions.
I actually just got off the phone with Mean City Cycles, they are going to lower me about 1.5". That should be plenty, Im not far off from it. I just cant believe how difficult it has been dealing with this dealership here and the fact that they were unable to resolve what I feel like is a common issue. I really appreciate the the input from everyone. This forum has become a life saver for me already. I know I will love it when its all resolved. On the upside I might have some parts to sell here soon.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 AM
zodder
Road Captain
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I think that's why the MoCo started making the Ultra Lows.... MCC did a great job on my seat. I'd much rather do something with the seat then mess with the suspension and change the handling

Old 03-16-2018, 10:02 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Being 5'7 with an Ultra I can relate to your problem. For me the solution was a low profile C & C seat with Progressive 944 shocks. I also installed 12 1/2 Wild One's bars so I wouldn't have to lean forward.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Messing with the suspension, which is lowered already on your bike, could severely impact ride quality...

If you're gonna lower with shocks, do it with Ohlins.

Call Howard at Motor Cycle Metal, after checking out his web site. Make sure you tell him you're a forum member for a price discount...

He has his #2-#1 shocks @ 11 5/8" and could probably suggest a few others. I would bet they would give a better ride than OEM...

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Messing with the suspension, which is lowered already on your bike, could severely impact ride quality...

If you're gonna lower with shocks, do it with Ohlins.

Call Howard at Motor Cycle Metal, after checking out his web site. Make sure you tell him you're a forum member for a price discount...

He has his #2-#1 shocks @ 11 5/8" and could probably suggest a few others. I would bet they would give a better ride than OEM...

Old 03-16-2018, 02:54 PM
zodder
Road Captain
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Damn. For those prices I'd exhaust all seat options before trying the Ohlins....

Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by zodder
Damn. For those prices I'd exhaust all seat options before trying the Ohlins....
With his forum discount, they are comparable in price to other premium shock absorbers....

If you lower a the seat too much, you have less padding... I had MCC lower a seat 2" and it was like sitting on the seat pan. Had to redo the seat, adding some padding

Probably need a combo of both seat & shocks... but in the end it would be money well spent for a bike with a great ride and that he's able to flat foot....

A lot of people try to get suspension/seats to work, on the cheap.... they usually end up spending more $$$ in the long run, to get something they like....

Buy once, cry once....

Last edited by hattitude; 03-16-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for lowering (Seat? Shocks? Blocks?)