Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing oil and Smoke! HELP!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:32 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

When you filled up your crank case how low was your oil I have seen oil pumps produce higher pressure when the oil level gets too low and the remaining oil thins out that usually happens just before you run completely out and your motor seized. Check around the base of your cylinders if you're not ventilation system is plugged you could have blown a base gasket

Old 03-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Mickjbeck
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

you don’t have pump lines on a 15flhx. Pump and ports are all internal. His explanation sounds like a evo.
Are you sure you have the right bolts for the air cleaner? Some ac back plates have internal holes to vent and some require a hose on the end to vent into intake.
yes on the EVO it is external pump and lines. I think that he was referring to the oil cooler lines. I have the breather bolts that have the regular hex head and the hole drilled in the side of the shaft. Not the kind with the nipple for a hose. They are the same ones that were on the SE stage 2 filter and are similar to the newest style heavy breather. I think the newest ones are not a hex head but still have the vent hole drilled into the side. The breather o have installed has the holes drilled in it to vent back into the TB. Because all the breather holes in the rocker box and the cleaner are clear and not clogged, and the bolts are not clogged and the umbrella valve and the sponge thing are all in good shape, I am leaning more to the oil pump or maybe the relief valve in the cam plate.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:40 AM
greenlantern
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Pinched Breather Tubes

Originally Posted by Mickjbeck
I have a 2015 SGS. Yesterday I am rolling down the road at 85 and something tells me I should check the oil pressure. I do and the screen reads 59 psi which it never has before. Usually at that speed and rpm it’s about 40-43. Anyway without thinking about it I continue rolling. I come to a stop and the bike starts sputtering and spitting and doesn’t want to run. I blip the throttle and she smooths out until rpm drop to idle. I quickly pull over from the light and notice I was blowing smoke from my left side. I cut the bike off for inspection and there is oil all down the back side of the rear cylinder. Also my RH bag is coverd in oil along with the swing arm, battery box, plug wires, both oil fills, starter and clutch and my exhaust. I cracked the crankcase oil fill and it vents out a bunch of air and no oil on my dipstick. I was riding for 34 miles without notice of any problem or rough running until the light. Any idea where the oil might have come from and what caused it to spew oil? Please any help would be appreciated.
I'm a little late to the party, but I had the same thing recently happen to me, also 15 SGS. My problem, as it turns out, I believe was pinched breather tubes. When I installed my new V&H hi-volume air cleaner, I mistakenly did NOT route the breather tubes through the designed holes on the bracket. As a result, when I tightened the bracket/filter, the breather hoses got pinched off. Near as I can tell, as a result, motor wasn't able to spit oily air back inside the air cleaner as designed, so it was building up, backing up and burning off. I borescoped my cylinders and found wet, black oily crud on both cylinder heads. The oily air from the crankcase had nowhere to go and was backing up into the jugs and partially burning off. Removed air cleaner, rerouted breather tubes CORRECTLY (after inspecting for cracks, etc) so they dump INTO the air cleaner. No more smoke, no more smell of oily exhaust, no more black soot on left V&H pipe exhaust.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:56 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

One other thing comes to mind. The oil filter. The oil goes to the filter before going to the engine on a twin cam bike and if restricted could cause high pressure and the oil has to go somewhere. Just a thought.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:22 PM
darkkevin
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

post is 3.5 years old, I'd like to think it's either fixed or blown up by now