Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some advice/points of view

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM
Jp82
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for some advice/points of view

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a 2005 RK Police with 55kmiles on it.

All of a sudden she started to leak oil from the primary a couple of months ago. I went to rumbleon and they low balled me, way too much. I was sincere when entered the information for getting a quote.

This bike won’t probably be a garage queen but she runs strong and here’s where I’m start having a ton of questions; I don’t want to keep her as she is know, mostly stock (except for the pipes) but I don’t want to invest money on doing improvements on an old bike, I will have to change tires, front suspension, brakes and do the transmission at minimum.

I know I should be able to come up with my own decisions but any point of view, opinions, suggestions would be much appreciated,

Thanks again for your time and enjoy the weekend

​​​​​​​jp82

Old 03-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Time for a new bike, and it will cost you. Interesting that you thought they low balled you and yet you listed a ton of issues with the bike. Somebody is going to have to pay for those issues - tires, leaks, etc. Several options, 1) fix the bike yourself and trade at the dealer or 2) fix the bike yourself and private sale, which will probably yield more money than the dealer, but you still need to be realistic. 3) trade at the dealer as is 4) private sale as is.

Motorcycling is an expensive hobby.

Last edited by Keithhu; 03-30-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:08 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

Ask yourself what you really want out of a motorcycle. Then you need to figure out two things.

First, what does your current bike need to entice you to keep it, and how much would that cost?

Second, how much would it cost to buy the bike that already has what you want? (Minus the trade-in value of the current bike).

Once you have those nailed down you won't need our opinions.

GM

Old 03-30-2018, 04:35 PM
davep
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess the oil is coming from the stator plug on front of primary....need to install a new stator....will cost a few dollars to dealer install it...they can do it fast and easy....good lusck.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:58 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by davep
My guess the oil is coming from the stator plug on front of primary....need to install a new stator....will cost a few dollars to dealer install it...they can do it fast and easy....good lusck.
If it is the stator plug a good cleaning and degreasing and judicious application of black silicone gasket maker will seal the leak just fine. No need to spend hundreds of dollars changing a working stator.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:13 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

All the things you mentioned that need to be done are regular maintenance anyways, and I hope you've done those at least once! Dealer isn't going to give you much for your bike, because they have to replace those items that you don't want to spend money on.

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma: I'm guessing you (a) want to trade your bike in for new, (b) want to trade and upgrade to a newer/used model, or (c) want to fix your existing bike. Only you know your financial situation and the love for your bike. If you have $30k for new, trade your bike in and go for it. If not, put $1-2k into your bike and enjoy it. Find a good mechanic and knock it out.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 AM
Jp82
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there, yes, it’s time for a new bike, I was just amazed of getting a 1400 offer, maybe it was just me not ready for that.

I will do the maintenance, which I’ve been doing regularly, and try to go for a private sale. Thank you guys, enjoy your weekend

Old 03-31-2018, 09:14 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

If you look to selling it either fix it up correctly or please disclose all that is wrong with it when you list it there are a bunch of us that don't mind wrenching on a good deal but we need to know the problem up front. If you know how to repair it please do so then sell would not recommend the dealer for repair that's way too expensive. If you can't do the repairs I would recommend selling at a discount through cl and replace it with a newer one

Old 03-31-2018, 12:10 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Sell it on cycletrader, be honest about description and you’ll do a lot better than a trade in.