Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 05:30 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,104 Likes on 8,921 Posts

I dont put motorcycle tires on my car, I dont put car tires on my motorcycle. Honestly, if you are trying to save money on a tire, get a good tire, keep the tire pressure up. But if you start putting car tires on Motorcycles, then I think your are in the wrong sport. Maybe get a nice sports car.

I got almost 20,000 miles out of my Metzlers 880's on my 09..... I just put a set of 888's on my 017.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,272 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
had a witty reply-deleted it......

bottom line, it's his bike, and if it were such a sin there would be bodies strewn about the highways as their car tires spontaneously combust rolling down the road. If you're more comfortable running a motorcycle tire, nobody's going to tell you not to, as I'm sure this fella like many others have weighed the benefits of running a car tire. If he feels it's what he wants to do, who is anybody here to call a man "stupid" for it, especially when there is probably zero experience there to back up the name calling...

OP, my $.02.... make your darkside posts in that section to avoid the regurgitation of bad info, you'll get replies in that section from people who have logged many miles on "forbidden" hardware.

as for the question about wet cornering: most if not all people on a CT report better wet traction in all situations. Cornering/braking/accelerating etc....
This is the Ops first post. So, I thought it might be appropriate for him to understand the risks of running a car tire.

But, you’re right, car tires must be better performing, that’s why so many motorcycle manufacturers ship their bikes with car tires.

Edit: FWIW, following article covers the pluses and minuses of the dark side.

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php...de%E2%80%9D.9/

Last edited by TriGeezer; 03-31-2018 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
frenchbiker (04-01-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 05:38 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,104 Likes on 8,921 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
This is the Ops first post. So, I thought it might be appropriate for him to understand the risks of running a car tire.

But, you’re right, car tires must be better performing, that’s why so many motorcycle manufacturers ship their bikes with car tires.
Serious question on car tires on the rear of a trike..... can they work in that application?

Back in my sidecar days, because we cornered flat, some of the time car tires where put on some hacks, on both the front and rear.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:51 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,272 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default P

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Serious question on car tires on the rear of a trike..... can they work in that application?

Back in my sidecar days, because we cornered flat, some of the time car tires where put on some hacks, on both the front and rear.
Yes, the TriGlide is shipped with car tires in the rear. Harley uses the Dunlop Signature, which based upon my research is not a well rated tire. So, even before delivery I had them swapped for Michelin Pilots. I have 40,000 miles on them, and could probably get another 20K on them. But, they are now 6 years old, and will replace them soon due to age.

Also, other than it would look ugly, I’d consider a car tire in the front of a Trike, because the tires do not lean. But, the only car tires in the correct size are for antique cars.

frenchbiker (04-01-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 06:41 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

I've read that article and plenty others. Most of them are written by people with no first hand experience on the matter. I take the info given, as well as first hand accounts, and form my own opinions. I've spoken to probably 30 riders personally who run car tires on their personal bikes of all flavors from scooters, adventure rigs, and goldwings and everything in between and I have had exactly one out of all of them say they didn't like the car tire. That one fella didn't like how the bike felt in a parking lot. Luckily for me, I don't take many road trips in parking lots. The rest of them will never buy another motorcycle tire for the rear of their bike. That sort of feedback tells me there's something to it. I haven't personally gone down that road but will in a couple months when I put tires on my bike. At my rate, a tire that lasts 10-12K will last me about 2-3 months. Pathetic. That's why I'm personally searching for better options.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,094 Likes on 1,910 Posts

And then you have an article where "personal" experience applies:

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html

Old 04-01-2018, 06:38 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Everyone knows that "real" magazine article about using car tires on motorcycles tells how bad they are. Just like this one...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...?src=soc_fcbks

perki48 (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 06:43 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

Read this before....

Old 04-01-2018, 06:50 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv

I've read that article and plenty others. Most of them are written by people with no first hand experience on the matter. I take the info given, as well as first hand accounts, and form my own opinions. I've spoken to probably 30 riders personally who run car tires on their personal bikes of all flavors from scooters, adventure rigs, and goldwings and everything in between and I have had exactly one out of all of them say they didn't like the car tire. That one fella didn't like how the bike felt in a parking lot. Luckily for me, I don't take many road trips in parking lots. The rest of them will never buy another motorcycle tire for the rear of their bike. That sort of feedback tells me there's something to it. I haven't personally gone down that road but will in a couple months when I put tires on my bike. At my rate, a tire that lasts 10-12K will last me about 2-3 months. Pathetic. That's why I'm personally searching for better options.
Aaaaah! The dreaded parking lot riding club...they are a offshoot of the Garage Queen riding association...lol

Tired (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

I don’t care what the dark side people say.
Because experience is irrelevant?

How’s that [car tire] going to work on a wet sharp turn?
Quite well, according to those with experience, whom you dismiss.

As well, if you crash, and the insurance company discovers you are running a non recommended tire...good luck with that.
The normal claim by naysayers is that it's illegal, which it's not. The car tire is DOT rated, and of sufficient load and speed rating. But that of course is irrelevant to the naysayers.

But not recommended? That takes it to a new and more comical level. Harley, of course, recommends their tire. So by your logic, people running non-recommended Avon tires are in grave legal problems should they crash. Which we all know not to be true. You do know that, right? Just because Harley recommends something you don't incur a legal obligation to follow that recommendation. You can run non Harley oil, non Harley filters, non Harley tires, and have the bike worked on by non Harley mechanics.

cacomly (04-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Car tires