Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

@foxtrapper.
There is a big difference between using a different BRAND of lubricants or tires than those recommended by a manufacturer (see Magnusson-Moss Act) and using a different TYPE of lubricant or tire.

I for one believe that should someone have a serious motorcycle accident while running car tires on it, the lawyers of the Insurance Co will be given the opportunity to decline coverage, simply due to it. But I'm sure "darksiders" have deep pockets and will sue the Insurance Co for years, until they win their case. SMH

As for the cost of replacing motorcycle tires every 3 or 4 months due to high mileage, last time I checked, the cost of gas per mile was much higher than the cost of tire per mile. If we consider that a rear motorcycle tire costs $180 and needs be replaced every 10,000 miles and if we also consider 35mpg at $2.75 a gallon. Gas will cost $785 and tires $180 or 4.5 times less. By the way, car tires are not free, and even if they last longer, they will still need to be replaced at a cost.

Just to prove that trying to save a buck on tires at the risk of serious legal problems might not a wise decision.

But you guys do what you want. It's your bike, your life and your wallet, not mine.

Happy Easter to all.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 04-01-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Future Darkside rider ......

Old 04-01-2018, 10:48 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
But you guys do what you want. It's your bike, your life and your wallet, not mine.

This is what it really comes down to in the end.

As for the rationalization of tires vs fuel. Fuel is an expected expenditure given an expected consumption. Tires are too to an extent. On the same token as what you're saying, wouldn't it be kinda nice if your bike got 60-70mpg? $ per miles is not my only motivation, safety is high on that list as well. Scoff, laugh, and call names, until YOU try it for YOURSELF, all the internet pecker measuring is just that.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,250 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
By the way, car tires are not free, and even if they last longer, they will still need to be replaced at a cost.
I don't think that's a discovery that dark siders are unaware of. ;-)

Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Direct copy and paste from the owners manual:

Do not pull a trailer with a motorcycle. Pulling a trailer can cause tire overload, damage and failure, reduced braking performance, and adversely affect stability and handling, which could result in death or serious injury. (00018c)

but these guys who choose to tow campers, trailers, etc don't get harassed and warned about their firey death every time they make a post do they?

The following 3 users liked this post by 67Shuv:
cacomly (04-04-2018), loanrider (04-01-2018), perki48 (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 11:46 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv

This is what it really comes down to in the end.

As for the rationalization of tires vs fuel. Fuel is an expected expenditure given an expected consumption. Tires are too to an extent. On the same token as what you're saying, wouldn't it be kinda nice if your bike got 60-70mpg? $ per miles is not my only motivation, safety is high on that list as well. Scoff, laugh, and call names, until YOU try it for YOURSELF, all the internet pecker measuring is just that.
I wonder if anyone has asked their insurance company if running a car tire would effect any claims? My insurance company wont insure a bike without a proper VIN from a manufacturer, a custom titled bike is not an option. Im willing to bet theres a lot of riders out there paying for insurance they don't know is invalid.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:58 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

How bout I put in a call to my agent in the morning? Been doing business with the guy for 15+ years, he'll shoot me straight. That seems to be the only angle the naysayers seem to think they have.... besides the firey crash thing hahaha

Old 04-01-2018, 11:59 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Do not pull a trailer with a motorcycle. Pulling a trailer can cause tire overload, damage and failure, reduced braking performance, and adversely affect stability and handling, which could result in death or serious injury. (00018c)

but these guys who choose to tow campers, trailers, etc don't get harassed and warned about their firey death every time they make a post do they?

I read the manual when I got my 017..... I think there where a few hundred warnings that told me I was gonna die..... made me want to sell it and get a bike without a manual....

The following users liked this post:
loanrider (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:39 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

How bout I put in a call to my agent in the morning? Been doing business with the guy for 15+ years, he'll shoot me straight. That seems to be the only angle the naysayers seem to think they have.... besides the firey crash thing hahaha
You would think that with all of those "firey crashes" that have happened over the years someone who had one would have warned us about their insurance being in-valid. Or maybe they all just died in the crashes.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Woops :<(

Quick Reply: Car tires