Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Your choice, but just to set the record I did not "hear from a guy".
I have over 30,000 trouble free miles on the Dark Side. Actually I am pretty sure that nearly everyone discussing the Pro's actually does it. The only folks who don't actually have any experience are the folks arguing the Con's, like you....
Just because you haven’t, doesn’t mean you won’t.

And there has never been enough Data accumulated in a controlled environment, using sound scientific methods, to support your argument. That is pretty much the definition of Anecdotal.

But that’s it for me. Maybe Look for some 10 ply truck tires, they will last longer.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
It was sarcasm...sorry if I didn’t clarify that, for the less fortunate. (more sarcasm)
fair enough. I know sarcasm is hard to convey with a keyboard. I've been guilty of it myself. With the amount of mud slinging and name calling that these types of threads typically devolve into though, I've seen some seriously childish stuff out of grown men.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,250 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2

Until I see solid Data on the safety of Car tires on motorcycles, I shall refrain from taking the advice of “Internet Fanboys” based on anecdotal information who heard it from a guy, who heard it from a guy, and listen to the engineers who design this ****.
Laughing.

Actually you're rejecting first hand knowledge, and the input from some engineers who "design this ****", as you put it.

What you are relying on is anecdotal hearsay from inexperienced, and generally hysterical, naysayers.

Regardless, by all means, don't do it if you don't want to.

The following 2 users liked this post by foxtrapper:
cacomly (04-04-2018), perki48 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 04:36 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

There are many intelligent people who think riding a motorcycle is too dangerous and will never get on one.... and yet we choose to ride...

Riding a motorcycle is inherently much more dangerous than driving a car... and we see people killed in car wrecks all the time...

If you ride, there are many choices to be made:

Wear full protective gear, with armor, or a t-shirt ..?

Wear an $800 full face helmet, cheap full face helmet, 3/4 helmet, 1/2 helmet, beanie, no helmet..?

Buy a bike with ABS brakes or no ABS brakes....?

Do mods that add to safety performance or mods that actually hurt safety to "look cool"....?

These are just to name a few of the many decisions that all motorcycle riders make almost daily.......

It's great to share opinions, and information... it's a great way to learn.

But the bottom line is that life is full of risk, it is up to each individual to decide the level of risk they are comfortable with......

IMHO ......

Anyone who doesn't:
Ride a bike with a full compliment of crash bars.
Wear the most expensive full face helmet.
Wear full racing level jackets/pants, with body armor, in the hottest weather.
Wear full racing boots.
Follow the rules of the road to the letter.
And never does a mod that changes the OEM performance.

Anyone who doesn't do all of the above, all the time, has absolutely no business calling anyone else names for their level-of-risk choices.... Those arrogant and self-righteous comments add nothing to the discussion at hand...

The following 3 users liked this post by hattitude:
67Shuv (04-02-2018), cacomly (04-04-2018), perki48 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Just because you haven’t, doesn’t mean you won’t.

And there has never been enough Data accumulated in a controlled environment, using sound scientific methods, to support your argument. That is pretty much the definition of Anecdotal.

But that’s it for me. Maybe Look for some 10 ply truck tires, they will last longer.
You sound like one of those guys from the Flat Earth Society desperately trying say something that will make sense...

Old 04-02-2018, 07:30 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

You sound like one of those guys from the Flat Earth Society desperately trying say something that will make sense...
Actually, I would say the opposite. Technology of motorcycle tires has evolved, to the point the we have many choices fro high performance, reasonably long life tires, that are affordable. But, then there are the the flat earth guys, that want to step back in time.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,250 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
But, then there are the the flat earth guys, that want to step back in time.
Many darksiders actually lament the lack of progress in motorcycle tires. Runflat technology for example. All but non existent in motorcycle tires, but fairly common in now in automotive tires.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:50 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
@foxtrapper.
There is a big difference between using a different BRAND of lubricants or tires than those recommended by a manufacturer (see Magnusson-Moss Act) and using a different TYPE of lubricant or tire.

I for one believe that should someone have a serious motorcycle accident while running car tires on it, the lawyers of the Insurance Co will be given the opportunity to decline coverage, simply due to it. But I'm sure "darksiders" have deep pockets and will sue the Insurance Co for years, until they win their case. SMH

As for the cost of replacing motorcycle tires every 3 or 4 months due to high mileage, last time I checked, the cost of gas per mile was much higher than the cost of tire per mile. If we consider that a rear motorcycle tire costs $180 and needs be replaced every 10,000 miles and if we also consider 35mpg at $2.75 a gallon. Gas will cost $785 and tires $180 or 4.5 times less. By the way, car tires are not free, and even if they last longer, they will still need to be replaced at a cost.

Just to prove that trying to save a buck on tires at the risk of serious legal problems might not a wise decision.

But you guys do what you want. It's your bike, your life and your wallet, not mine.

Happy Easter to all.
I had a 2009 Road King get totaled out and I was running dark side. No mention of the tire. The accident involved a 6 point deer and the motorcycle.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:04 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by kq2dc7
I had a 2009 Road King get totaled out and I was running dark side. No mention of the tire. The accident involved a 6 point deer and the motorcycle.
Personal experience won't matter to the naysayers. I bet they don't even know that Boss Hoss Motorcycles originally came with Car Tires. As do virtually all of the 3 wheelers classified as motorcycles.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Maybe Look for some 10 ply truck tires, they will last longer.
...... you gotta admit, a 10 ply would last a really long time

Last edited by groupw; 04-02-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Car tires