Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:06 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
...... you gotta admit, a 10 ply would last a really long time
And a load range E tire could come in handy

Old 04-03-2018, 06:40 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kq2dc7
I had a 2009 Road King get totaled out and I was running dark side. No mention of the tire. The accident involved a 6 point deer and the motorcycle.
Sorry to hear. I guess what you wanted to say is that the insurance covered the claim, correct? If it is, that's good to know and good for you.

On another note, did you have one of these deer whistle installed? One of my riding buddies here had one and it didn't do stop a deer from crossing in front of him either. On the other hand, he noticed that it did a great job at keeping elephants away ..... <jk>

Last edited by frenchbiker; 04-03-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:50 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Personal experience won't matter to the naysayers. I bet they don't even know that Boss Hoss Motorcycles originally came with Car Tires. As do virtually all of the 3 wheelers classified as motorcycles.
You're correct, the Boss Hoss originally came with a car tire but not anymore.

Hmmm...... I wonder why they are now delivered from the factory with a fat rear motorcycle tire. I bet it's because a CT has a different bead and it can spin around a motorcycle rim under heavy acceleration.

As for 3-wheelers, you're correct. I ride a TriGlide and it does have 2 car tires on the back and it's because it doesn't lean to turn but steers.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 04-03-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:15 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Why, if you were really such a hot shot lawyer you would "know" it too without asking to see proof....
Lol.... Hot shot lawyer? I haven't even heard that expression in years! Never have been , and probably never will be. But it's funny just the same. Probably never run a car tire either. But thats more to do with the fact they don't make car tires with white walls on both sides!

Old 04-03-2018, 08:01 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
But thats more to do with the fact they don't make car tires with white walls on both sides!
Well don't let that stop you!

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Port-O-W...ite-p/ww12.htm

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,338 Likes on 3,275 Posts

Well it would look white walled from 1 side at least... Just watch where you park,,,

Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Lol.... Hot shot lawyer? I haven't even heard that expression in years! Never have been , and probably never will be. But it's funny just the same. Probably never run a car tire either. But thats more to do with the fact they don't make car tires with white walls on both sides!

running out of reasons!!!!

https://www.tirestickers.com/

I kid, I kid.... (but that company does make some unique stuff, red line tires anyone?)

Old 04-03-2018, 09:38 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Hmmm...... I wonder why they are now delivered from the factory with a fat rear motorcycle tire. I bet it's because a CT has a different bead and it can spin around a motorcycle rim under heavy acceleration.
Spin on the rim ?! Come on now, now we're just grasping for stuff.... only way you're turning a tire on the rim is with a real sticky compound, a prepped surface, a hard launch a lot of Hp. I have drag raced for years and while we do screw the tires to the rim or run beadlocks to prevent this, we're talking 1000hp to the ground, relatively heavy vehicles and transbrakes. On a bike with 150lb/ft and even a "good" tire, you're going to turn the tread against the pavement first. I'd wager my next paycheck on that.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:53 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 67Shuv

Spin on the rim ?! Come on now, now we're just grasping for stuff.... only way you're turning a tire on the rim is with a real sticky compound, a prepped surface, a hard launch a lot of Hp. I have drag raced for years and while we do screw the tires to the rim or run beadlocks to prevent this, we're talking 1000hp to the ground, relatively heavy vehicles and transbrakes. On a bike with 150lb/ft and even a "good" tire, you're going to turn the tread against the pavement first. I'd wager my next paycheck on that.
Your post assumes that the tire is designed for the wheel, which is not the case for darksiders. It's been demonstrated that a CT bead doesn't seat on a motorcycle wheel the way a MC tire does. Anyway, the point was that Boss Hoss bikes have been delivered with a MC tire for many years now. If you know the reason for having abandoned the CT, go ahead, tell us.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

I don't, and honestly didn't know that they shipped in their beginning with car tires. But I'll guarantee this, those MC tires they are installing now are probably at or over their load limit the day they're installed. That's one well documented advantage of the CT.

The only difference I've ever been aware of in regards to seating the bead is that it usually takes more air pressure. In my mind that means it's a tighter fit and even LESS likely to spin on the rim. But hey, that's practical logic, and that **** doesn't fly around here.... so.....

The following 3 users liked this post by 67Shuv:
cacomly (04-04-2018), perki48 (04-03-2018), PFWiz (04-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Car tires