Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a tour pak to Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:37 AM
pacnwjim
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding a tour pak to Streetglide

I want to add a quick release tour pack onto my 2008 Streetglide. There are so many options out there it’s mind boggling.Any suggestions and information you have would be great. Where and why and cost, pics would all help
me. I have a quick release backrest and rack on it now. Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:46 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

First decide whether you want king or chopped or razor style based upon look or function. After that, decide whether you want OEM or aftermarket. Is price a concern? Generally can get a decent aftermarket like Matazu or Advan Black for a fair price.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

I went with the HD King tour pack. More expensive than after market but a lot better quality.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:17 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I just wanted occasional storage for helmets so I skipped the expensive OEM system. Got one from eBay and a mounting rack for $260. Cheap quality is good enough for how much I'm going to use it. Did not install it yet but will have to DIY a bit to mount the box to the rack. I thought/think it is worth the price.

The following users liked this post:
pacnwjim (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

I went with a Bad Dad Competition Tour Pack. Very well made and color is perfect on my RGS. Its a chopped version.

Attached Thumbnails Adding a tour pak to Streetglide-0218180858a_hdr.jpg  
Old 04-07-2018, 09:26 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I like getting high quality stuff so I don't mind paying a bit more. There is no substitute for HD quality for tourpak (construction, paint etc) though some after market comes close. Look on ebay for a complete set up (tourpak, pad, mounting plate, lock) and you can save a lot off new. I assume you have a 4 pt docking kit since you have a sissy bar and a luggage rack mpounted on your bike.

pacnwjim (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Mac daddy 103
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

If your riding 2up I would get the HD tour pak, if riding solo and need just for storage then aftermarket. That being said H-D brand is a much better then Aftermarket.

Check Boadertrack harley online, my buddy just made a purchase last week on a king tourpak and it came out to $1,047 and change on a vivid black

pacnwjim (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 AM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm not a big fan of some of the aftermarket units. Although some look identical to OEM and can even use the same hardware I found some were pretty flimsy. I was able to flex the entire lid of one unit by pushing down on the luggage rack. On our long trips we always have a top bag on our luggage rack so that was not going to work for us. Hopefully you can check them out somewhere before you purchase one.

The sturdiest tour packs are the older fiberglass units. I'm not sure when they started making them out of ABS. I know my buddies 03 was fiberglass and my 08 was ABS so somewhere in that time frame. I found one off an older Ultra on E-Bay for a few hundred bucks and had it painted. I'm not sure if this would really be cheaper in the long run. I'm fortunate to have friends in who paint cars for a living but you still need all of the hardware etc..

Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

I went the Matazu route.... tour pack with lights,seat back, detachable mount, and top rack....
Then my wife stuffed her jacket in the tour pack, rather than wait for me , next the cable broke, while she was at it,a and the top flopped over, causing a crack to form at the hinge

A year later, I ran across an OEM H-D TP on EBAY... also with quick release, seat back, and top rack... in MY color. for $600

I'd check Ebay, first... you can always make an offer.....If you will use it by yourself, the Matazu is fine....
but you get, what you pay for

pacnwjim (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Cruisineasy1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '14 SG and only use mine when I take the wife or on a long trip so I went with Matazu chopped. Got the rack, pack and backrest for about $450. Took a bit of time but it works well for me..

Quick Reply: Adding a tour pak to Streetglide