Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride-On Tire Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ride-On Tire Sealant

I posted a thread about one of my tires loosing air with no visible damage a few days ago.

Took the wheels and new tires to a dealer today to get changed and found that the Ride-On Tire Sealant had corroded the chrome on the wheel lip in several locations, causing the tire bead to separate from the wheel.

The indy dealer said he has seen this several times with other people using the Ride-On Sealant. I know need another wheel, bearings & disc rotor bolts at a cost of over $800.

I checked the Ride-On website and found this information on corrosion & Ride-On.

Ride-On TPS should only be installed in wheels that are free from corrosion. Ride-On TPS contains ingredients specifically designed to adhere to oxidized metals. This feature was engineered into the product to help thwart the spread of corrosion. If Ride-On is installed in a wheel with existing corrosion, when the wheel is dismounted, the product may appear to take on the color of the corrosion and may appear to be orange, dark brown, or rust in color. The product consistency may also appear to possess less viscosity (be more fluid). A portion of Ride-On will typically adhere to already-corroded wheels and will appear as scale. It is important to note that Ride-On does not worsen existing corrosion, and will actually aid in the removal of oxidized metal on wheels, which may be noticed when tires are dismounted from wheels. Ride-On TPS may also soften water- and latex-based paints. It is recommended that Ride-On be installed in aluminum- or powder-coated rims.

The last sentence says it all to protect them I guess but that information is not listed on their products

IF YOU HAVE CHROME WHEELS ON YOUR BIKE, DO NOT USE RIDE-ON TIRE SEALANT.

Attached Thumbnails Ride-On Tire Sealant-img_0126.jpg   Ride-On Tire Sealant-img_0128.jpg   Ride-On Tire Sealant-img_0129.jpg   Ride-On Tire Sealant-img_0125.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
cwsharp (02-08-2020)
Old 04-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll leave this here: I just pulled my tire with ride on installed to replace my valve stems with some 90* ones and there was ZERO ride on solution on the wheel. Every ounce was stuck in the tire itself. Not sure if maybe you added too much but I used the bottle and one half for the rear tire and it has worked flawlessly.

The following 3 users liked this post by Almostinvincible119:
acchd (08-10-2018), Drifter-10 (07-16-2019), hardheaded (07-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I've talked to techs that hate to change tires with Ride-On but hey. I'm happy after 3 days of using it Smother ride.
My Ride-On review:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheel...on-review.html

Old 04-13-2018, 06:13 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Almostinvincible119
I'll leave this here: I just pulled my tire with ride on installed to replace my valve stems with some 90* ones and there was ZERO ride on solution on the wheel. Every ounce was stuck in the tire itself. Not sure if maybe you added too much but I used the bottle and one half for the rear tire and it has worked flawlessly.
I used the regular dose, not the severe condition dose.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:51 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I ran the stuff for a few years, then felt the balance was off and went back to weights. A Brother of mine was chasing a really bad shake in his bike, he was so pissed after having everything checked out he was going to sell it. I told him about my experience, he pulled the tires and found the stuff had dried into clumps that shook the hell out of his bike. I understand this is rare but there it is.

Good times

Old 04-13-2018, 07:31 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Ive been running it in two bikes for several years now. The wheels are always balanced. It has worked flawlessly for me. Whenever I've pulled a tire to change it, very little is on the rim. It's all stuck to the inside of the tire.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
and found that the Ride-On Tire Sealant had corroded the chrome on the wheel lip in several locations

It is important to note that Ride-On does not worsen existing corrosion, and will actually aid in the removal of oxidized metal on wheels, which may be noticed when tires are dismounted from wheels. .
These 2 statements seem to contradict themselves, you say it caused the corrosion but the statement you posted from Ride-On states it will not worsen any existing corrosion and in fact says it was made to stop corrosion. You sure you didn't already have some corrosion on the rims from maybe moisture from airing the tires?

I use Ride-on and just had my old tires off. I had a little of it on the rims and cleaned it right off, no corrosion visible.

Next time I change them I am going to give the rims a really good inspection just in case this has some merit.

Thanks for posting

Old 04-13-2018, 07:45 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts

I change my tires once a season due to mileage wearing them out. So mine stays fresh and don't have any problems after three years. The first year when it became cold it might of been out of balance a bit. I Scotch Brite the inside of rims each time, 99 cast wheels.

I'm not a fan of chrome on aluminum. I've seen that kind of faluire on car wheels with out ride on in them. It does look like the ride on did damage it though and should not be used on that type of rims. Seams like someone mentioned that Harley rims are coming from China or other type cheap labor country's.

Last edited by xcbullet; 04-13-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
These 2 statements seem to contradict themselves, you say it caused the corrosion but the statement you posted from Ride-On states it will not worsen any existing corrosion and in fact says it was made to stop corrosion. You sure you didn't already have some corrosion on the rims from maybe moisture from airing the tires?

I use Ride-on and just had my old tires off. I had a little of it on the rims and cleaned it right off, no corrosion visible.

Next time I change them I am going to give the rims a really good inspection just in case this has some merit.

Thanks for posting
The rims were brand new out of the box in 2012........The front wheel had some slight corrosion starting but the indy said it shouldn't affect the tire seating correctly.

You may be on the something about moisture though.....The bike hasn't had much use in about three years now and has been sitting in my garage up on a lift. Maybe non use is partly to blame for this expensive lesson.

I lucked out and found an almost new 18 x 5 Anarchy wheel on Craig's List for under $400 shipped. That's cheaper than when I bought the wheel new in 2012. HD wants over $700 for the wheel today......

Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

'Had ride-on installed by ride-on dealer at time of new tires,,, about 5k miles, had blowout (instant deflate) that appeared to be caused by a small nail?? The ride-on sealant didn't appear to do anything to prevent the instant deflation...

Took pictures of the tire, took the time to call ride-on, email pictures, I was interested to hear what their take on it was??

No reply!!

No more ride-on for me!! Waste of money for a false sense of security...

Quick Reply: Ride-On Tire Sealant