Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5' 9" and wears a Full Face..... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Adam76
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 5' 9" and wears a Full Face..... need advice

Hello, is there any other folk that is 5' 9 and wears a full face helmet on a street glide???

i know there are literally hundreds of threads on helmet shaking/buffeting and how some people have solved it and others haven't.

before i fork over the money for a new SG, looking for the people of my exact height and area wears a FF helmet to hear what changes they have made to their windshield to geta clean flow of air. Thanks

please no -- drive a car or buy a roadglide comments

Old 07-13-2018, 10:12 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

no, really ........ get the Road Glide

Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Not attempting to be snarky...but being a realist...there is absolutely NO way to feed the data that you're giving us and expect to get a for certain answer. Such is the nature of motorcyling. The only way to get an more or less answer is to ride one and find out. And that's not gonna provide you the certainty you're seeking.

Honestly. ..and again not intending to be an ***...if you're a person who's not willing to take risks...this is probably not gonna be an activity that you're gonna enjoy.

But I suspect you'll be able to get a bike that you are drawn to and make it your very own. Might be a matter of trial and error...but do the test rides, get close, and it will come together!

Last edited by Veekness; 07-13-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:34 PM
patrikr
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 5'8" and got a 2018 SG a few weeks ago. I've done a bunch to it since but one of my first 100+ mile ride was with stock windshield and FF helmet with no buffeting at all. I did however experience buffeting with a 3/4 helmet with the stock windshield. Since then I've switched to a 7" LRS shield and installed lowers and have no buffeting with any kind of helmet.

This is my second SG so I knew what changes I had to do to solve buffeting for my height and ride posture. Your mileage may vary so I suggest you bring your helmet to a dealer and go on a test ride.

Last edited by patrikr; 07-13-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:35 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

The biggest step in the solution is a taller windshield. The stock one is merely a decoration. I’m close to your height, but everybody’s height sitting down is different. The 6” I use most of the time solves most of the problem but the 8” I use on long trips is better. And there are many shapes out there. I also have lowers on my Streetglide that remove almost all
of the air that would normally bounce off my legs and hit me in the chest and face.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm 5'9 and wear a FF. Stock winshield, I get a nasty buffet right at 70-80mph. Feels like its coming from under the fairing.
Have not fixed it yet

2018 street glide special

Old 07-14-2018, 12:58 AM
Adam76
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by imboden
I'm 5'9 and wear a FF. Stock winshield, I get a nasty buffet right at 70-80mph. Feels like its coming from under the fairing.
Have not fixed it yet

2018 street glide special
yeah thanks, this is what I've heard a lot of. Thanks for your feedback. Good luck solving the issue, if you do post up a reply.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:42 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm your exact measurements described. I have the Harley 7 inch recurve and that works for me along with my lowers. if I have the visor up then the helmet shakes at 70 plus. take off the visor and only use the drop down sun shade no issues. it also matters the helmet you wear. good luck in your quest. most dealerships will let you try a demo wind shield so your not out 200 bucks every switch to find what looks and feels good to you.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

The windshield that comes stock on a sg is there for appearance only and will definately need to be replaced by a taller one. That alone will solve a lot of the buffeting.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
no, really ........ get the Road Glide
Listen to the man,he knows his chit!

Quick Reply: 5' 9" and wears a Full Face..... need advice