Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob / Security ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM
FL_Grown87
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob / Security ????

Morning fellow riders, i recently purchased a 2002 Electra Glide. The issue I'm running into is that I can start my bike no problem without the key fob by or near the bike or without it asking for a Pin... Anybody have any idea why that is? I have the red Key display on the gauge plus the blinkers blink a couple times then goes away. Any help would be great.
No I don't have w key hiding on the bike..

Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 AM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,146 Likes on 992 Posts

Factory alarm on a 2002 is a push button arm/disarm, not a proximity fob.

If if you have the owners manual (or get it @ Harley website for free) you can see how to “auto arm” after 30 seconds or so. This would require you to disarm it before starting, and it would arm itself after shut down.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM
top0211
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

In addition to the alarm system, the red key on the gauge is an indicator of other faults. I had a 2001 and used the owners manual to decipher the reason it was on. I don't recall the issue, but it was not directly linked to security.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by FL_Grown87
Morning fellow riders, i recently purchased a 2002 Electra Glide. The issue I'm running into is that I can start my bike no problem without the key fob by or near the bike or without it asking for a Pin... Anybody have any idea why that is? I have the red Key display on the gauge plus the blinkers blink a couple times then goes away. Any help would be great.
Most likely because your bike doesn't have a security system. At the time your bike was built security was an optional extra, but it has the provision for one. Buy or download the owners manual, if you don't have one, and read all about it!

Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 AM
FL_Grown87
5th Gear

It has the dog with the button in the middle when I hold it for 2-3 seconds the light flashes and if I try to start to the bike it won't and the four ways come on..

So should I take this is for services? I looked for the owners manual and it doesn't really dive into the whole red Key light on the gauge. I have downloaded it from Harley.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 AM
top0211
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

If the four ways come after holding the button on the fob and you cannot start the bike, you have set the alarm. Hold the button again and it should undo the alarm and the bike should start.

If this is what is happening, you have the optional security system in place. Your fob button requires you to set the alarm and undo the alarm manually unlike the proximity fobs.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:43 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Morning fellow riders, i recently purchased a 2002 Electra Glide. The issue I'm running into is that I can start my bike no problem without the key fob by or near the bike or without it asking for a Pin... Anybody have any idea why that is?

I have the red Key display on the gauge plus the blinkers blink a couple times then goes away. Any help would be great.
As mentioned, you do not have an FOB proximity type of alarm. Once your alarm is off, you do not need the FOB anywhere near the bike to use it...

It has the dog with the button in the middle when I hold it for 2-3 seconds the light flashes and if I try to start to the bike it won't and the four ways come on..

So should I take this is for services? I looked for the owners manual and it doesn't really dive into the whole red Key light on the gauge. I have downloaded it from Harley.

It sounds like the alarm sets as designed (highlighted above)

Once alarm is set, you hit the button 2x, the turn signals flash once, and the bike is supposed to start....

If so, you're security is working as designed....

Then the red key is notification of another issue(s). You'll need to access the codes, kind of a pain on an 2002

If you don't want to research the issue online, you need to pick up an electrical diagnostic manual (good to get the service manual & parts manual too) for your bike.

Last edited by hattitude; 04-16-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,146 Likes on 992 Posts

to arm the alarm the alarm manually: press and hold the button on the fob until the turn signal lights on dash flash. Note, factory alarm systems from harley did not always come with a siren, the flashing of the dash lights and turn signals is the only indication you will receive that alarm has been set.

When alarm is set, the red key in speedo will flash slowly.

To disarm the alatm, press the button on the fob, two times in quick succession. The turn signals and dash lights will flash, and the red key in speedo will not be illuminated. Again, no siren, so you will not receive an audible confirmation.

it sounds like the alarm is working as designed. It is different than a car alarm, and that can sometimes trip new users up.

when you try to start the bike with the alarm set (or roll it, or stand it up, or turn the bars) the lights will flash. This is the alarm going “off”. Without the siren, it is just flashing light. If it were a car, the horn and siren would be going off in addition to the lights flashing.

Hioe that clears things ip for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by Just Mike; 04-16-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM
FL_Grown87
5th Gear

Oh ok sure did the owner before me had the bike from the beginning, kept telling me it's a prox fob.. So it's only the fob to arm/disarm my security system. So technically I need the circle key to lock or unlock my ignition switch.. Solves the problem. lol The whole time I was thinking it was a prox-fob. lol

As per the reply regarding the codes. I've checked the code banks 1 through 10 and found nothing. That was fun finding out how to do that. Next I will be changing my 5 digit pin just if I forget a fob when the secuirty system is aet.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

The electrical diagnostic manual is priceless. It is a separate manual.
I fixed my CC in just a few minutes with it. Also got my alarm functioning correctly!
If you keeping your bike I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: Key Fob / Security ????