Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do Street Glide Specials cost more than an Ultra Classic?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:36 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Because they can. Its all about demand. Hd isnt going to do you any favors.
^^^This^^^

My dealer and every one I've been to say they can sell every SGS or plain SG they get. Don't have to deal on them.

Ultra is the same bike 'cept for the 17" in front wheel, Tour Pak, Passing lamps and what few other goodies...........

Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I think the LIMITED should be the one dropped. Nothing wrong with the Ultra at all. If folks want all the cute accessories of the Limited, let them pay for it. I don't need "cosmetics" over and above what the Ultra offers.

Let others enjoy the Limited, and get what they want already set up for them. Not everyone wants what you want. It is not all about what just you don't need! "I don't need "cosmetics" over and above what the Ultra offers"
Some of us like the "cute" accessories!
Have a nice day!

Old 04-22-2018, 03:10 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_R
Let others enjoy the Limited, and get what they want already set up for them. Not everyone wants what you want. It is not all about what just you don't need! "I don't need "cosmetics" over and above what the Ultra offers"
Some of us like the "cute" accessories!
Have a nice day!
Hey, God Bless you for having the money to pony up for all those "cute" accessories. Enjoy spending that money and enjoy the ride.

Besides, I don't think Harley is going to change/add/delete from the lineup based upon what I post in a Forum

Old 04-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Hey, God Bless you for having the money to pony up for all those "cute" accessories. Enjoy spending that money and enjoy the ride.

Besides, I don't think Harley is going to change/add/delete from the lineup based upon what I post in a Forum
Oh come on GOV5....I thought you were more influential than that with the motor company...!
Seriously, I am blessed to be able to have a nice Limited. Even though it is a 2012 and 6 years old, I traded for it about 2 months ago, got a great deal, and it only has about 5,500 miles. Being semi retired, I can no longer afford to go out and just buy new like I use to, however I am making this one suite me even though I do like the extra features it already has. Would like a newer, Rushmore edition, but again, I am thankful for it. I hope you are happy with your Ultra as well.
Phil

Old 04-23-2018, 02:14 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_R
Oh come on GOV5....I thought you were more influential than that with the motor company...!
Seriously, I am blessed to be able to have a nice Limited. Even though it is a 2012 and 6 years old, I traded for it about 2 months ago, got a great deal, and it only has about 5,500 miles. Being semi retired, I can no longer afford to go out and just buy new like I use to, however I am making this one suite me even though I do like the extra features it already has. Would like a newer, Rushmore edition, but again, I am thankful for it. I hope you are happy with your Ultra as well.
Phil
I am not semi-retired..I'm FULL retired so I pay closer attention to cost than I did when I was still working, so I know what you mean.
As to the Rushmores, personally I don't think you would gain that much over what you have in the 2012 model. I don't know about the M8's...I'm afraid to test ride one. There's that "where there's a will, there's a way" thing that might grab a hold of me and not turn loose. LOL!!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
It's all about supply and demand. Every time i see a Street Glide it reminds me of SUVs. Everybody owns one accept me. I drove SUV's when nobody did. Now i don't. Ultra's are better touring bikes and a better value. Price isn't everything. Most dealers around are overloaded with Street Glides. Why? They sell to the hey look at me i'm cool crowd that and they make a fortune off of those buyers trying to make them as comfy as an Ultra.
Not my dealer. The can't keep them on the floor.

I just bought one last week. Picking it up Saturday. Compared to the Ultra, which is a damn fine bike, the SGS does have that cool factor (if a bagger can be cool) the Ultra doesn't have. The black chrome and extended bags alone did it for me. Plus, I sprang for the hard candy hot rod red flake, which looks great with all the black. Since I don't plan any elaborate cross country tours, the SGS suits my needs. And when it was all said and done, I saved $3,000 OTD! I'm keeping my beloved Dyna to keep me grounded.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't own a SG anymore, but when I bought mine in 2013 (41 years old), I didn't want an Ultra or Ultra Limited because I felt it was for a much older person. The reality is, there is a segment of consumers who do want to look cool....and to them, a huge box on the back isn't cool to them. And some of them don't even want a KP....they'd rather buy a SG and get a chopped pak. That setup looks really nice. Gives them the cool factor along with some function with that Chopped Pak. Also, the customization scene is still really heavy----I had mine all stretched out with Bad Dag fenders, etc etc. A lot of new HD riders are leaving crotch rockets for the SG/RG because it looks cool to them. Everyone hasn't outgrown the "wanting to look cool" phase and I say ......let them be!! If that's what they want, then there is a Harley for them.

If I still rode a SG, it would be the SGS special also.....it just looks really nice. I'd get it and just throw a King Pak on it for two up riding. Having said all of that, I'm 46 and own an Ultra Limited. But I had to do some things to it to make it look a little more cool "to me" and I'm happy with it. But that blacked out Road Glide Special ......and then add a King Pak.......umpt, that would be purty.

Last edited by sfcmo357; 04-23-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:27 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,508 Likes on 1,298 Posts

It is like paid for sex.

You can pay a little more and have a real hottie.

or you can take the one with baggage for less.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (04-25-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM
115th FLHXS
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DamifIknow
My brother bought a 2018 SGS with the Numbered paint set. Denim blue with the eagles on it. paid 30k. I tried to talk him into a 2017 Limited with stage 4 and lots of other extras for 26k and he said NO NO NO. People Like what they like and its his money. To each his own. I personally would buy a year or two older and let someone else take the depreciation hit. JMO.
Ouch! I paid MSRP for mine - $27k.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 115th FLHXS
Ouch! I paid MSRP for mine - $27k.
I paid $28k OTD, The MSRP was $29k for the Hard Candy paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do Street Glide Specials cost more than an Ultra Classic?