Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Who is riding to Sturgis (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/123064-who-is-riding-to-sturgis.html)

TomFLHTC 06-22-2007 09:52 PM

Who is riding to Sturgis

My wife and I are planning to ride to Sturgis from Cincinnati. Leaving 2 1/2days for the ride.
Any good advise.
Tom

Mr Wonderful 06-22-2007 10:14 PM

RE: Who is riding to Sturgis

If you don't have a place to stay, you are probably S.O.L. Take twice as much money as you think you need, a cell phone charger, sunscreen, your extra bike key in case you somehow lose the primary one, and a boatload of patience. It is almost gridlock in town a lot of the time. Park and walk. Be sure to visit the Broken Spoke Saloon and One-eyed Jack's at the other end of main street.

Lot's of scenery: Mount rushmore, Devil's Tower, Needles Highway, Badlands, Lead, and Deadwood of course. Don't forget your cameras. It's a big time with lots of people and bikes to see......Biker's Mardigras. Oh, and on the road in the area, stay off that center stripe....lots of folks hugging it in the opposite direction...collisions aren't unheard of.

Have fun![:-]

beemer737 06-22-2007 10:57 PM

Been planning this for 10 years, Leaving PHX 2 Aug, Utah, CO, Wy, arrive SD 6 Aug at Horsethief campground, Backup reservations at KOA hotel in case it's wacky Hot, Cold, wet.Family from three directions arriving. See you there.

SBFD8 06-22-2007 11:03 PM

Leaving Aug 2 from San Bernardino Calif. Already have reservation at Lamphere Campground. Should be a nice ride.

schoney 06-23-2007 12:21 AM

Also check out the Crazy Horse Monument. I think it is better then the 4 pres. it's about 15 miles from Rushmore.

txfxstrider 06-23-2007 12:53 AM

ORIGINAL: schoney

Also check out the Crazy Horse Monument. I think it is better then the 4 pres. it's about 15 miles from Rushmore.

Exactly!

PapaTravis 06-23-2007 06:31 AM

One day I will make it there.:(Took the family to Disneyland this year. Told all of them, next year is my turn. The wife can come if she wants. LOL

100thRK 06-23-2007 08:50 AM

Been going to Sturgis since 1987. Never miss it. Leaving New Orleans area 8/1 to ride to Sturgis. Staying at the Buffalo Chip Campground. Loud but good concerts. Buy gas at stations not near Sturgis or at weird hours like early AM because you can wait for a hour or more to get gas from about Tuesday on. Agree with all the other posts of where to ride and to escape the girdlock mentioned leave by Friday Morning. Fri-Sun is crazy. Monday morning the interstate will be be bumper to bumper all across South Dakota. Catch the Badlands on the way home or going! Ride safe.

truegentlemann 06-23-2007 10:26 AM

i ride each year from Omaha Ne.
not too far a good day of riding puts me just south of Rapid City at a campground.
if you are coming from the east in lieu of innerstate 90 and the 90mph traffic i always take hwy 44 beatiful country, no rush, no waiting at gas stations although once you cross the missiouri in the middle of the state; fuel every time you see a gas station..
you go across indian res. no one bothers u and you get to see the southern half of the badlands for no charge. stay on the hwy and you meet back up with I-90 just outside Rapid City intime to get a good last 50 mile taste of it getting into sturgis.

mrhappy999 06-23-2007 11:33 AM

We always ride. See so much more and get to really relax.:)