Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for bore kit, cams, throttle body, and...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:07 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Suggestions for bore kit, cams, throttle body, and...?

2000 Ultra running an injected TC 88 with SE cam plate assembly (incl high volume oil pump and hydraulic tensioners), Big Sucker air filter, and Vance & Hines turn-down slip-ons.

This bike really is a pig, performance wise, and I'd like to wake it up some.

I ride mostly one-up, and I ride more aggressively than the average bagger driver, but I'm not a maniac. Day-to-day riding is mostly around town in Silicon Valley (I'm in the construction trades, not the tech sector), but I do get up into the Santa Cruz mountains several times a year for some fun on the twisties. I also use this bike for summer camping trips in the Sierras, and will be riding this summer round-trip to Alaska, loaded down with camping supplies but not with another person on the bike. My lady lost her previous man to a solo crash on the freeway, so she's no longer interested in riding.

I am *totally* open to any and all suggestions on how to wake this bike up, and have in general been thinking a 97" kit, a cam to match my riding needs, head work and throttle body as necessary to take advantage of the increased displacement and a better-breathing cam.

And like so many of us, my budget isn't what I'd like it to be, so I'm happy going with quality 2nd tier products if necessary to save some cash, as long as I'm not going to sacrifice longevity or performance for doing so.

So... what do you think? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: About 50k miles on the clock, and crank run-out is around .003.

Last edited by Z; 05-18-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Big Block 17
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

>>I am *totally* open to any and all suggestions on how to wake this bike up, and have in general been thinking a 97" kit, a cam to match my riding needs, head work and throttle body as necessary to take advantage of the increased displacement and a better-breathing cam.<<

Posted at 4:07am. Up all night thinking about this? LOL
You answered your own question with the statement above. Big bore kit & cam. Browse Andrews or S&S sites for a cam that suits your riding style. There is lots of them available.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:58 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Check out Fuel Moto's 98" big bore kit on their website. Then give them a call and talk to them about what you have on the bike now and what you want to achieve with the build. They will set you up and take care of you.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-231017...-bore-kit.html

Old 05-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with a 98" Muscle kit from Zippers on my 01 TC. Couldn't be happier.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:10 AM
skydude426
Club Member

Zippers Performance is another good option. I installed a Zippers 107" Sport kit in my 2012 Ultra this winter. I've just finished break in yesterday. It's up on my jack with the oil drained out waiting for me to finish the oil change. I'm looking forward to getting on it a little to see what she'll do. I can say that so far my bike has never run better.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/al...5-kit-efi.html

Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude426
Check out Fuel Moto's 98" big bore kit on their website. Then give them a call and talk to them about what you have on the bike now and what you want to achieve with the build. They will set you up and take care of you.

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-231017...-bore-kit.html
This is what I'd recommend based on my experience with Fuel Moto. The challenge will be where to have it installed here in the Bay Area if you chose to outsource the work.

I'm still trying to figure out a shop to do my 107 install.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Since it is a 2000 with MM fuel injection, my recommendation is to trade it for a bike with a carb or a newer one with Delphi injection. Converting your will be expensive. MM parts are basically non existent anymore and any hop-up has always been limited.
better yet just buy mine for 10k...

Old 05-18-2018, 07:16 PM
skydude426
Club Member

Well if you like the bike and want to spend the money to upgrade the engine, you can spend some more and upgrade the EFI system with a new ECM with auto tune from Thunder Max. I have a Thunder Max on two bikes and they work very well. I can make any change I want and I never have to rely on someone to dyno tune them. I've probably saved the cost of both of them in dyno fees over the last few years.

http://www.thunder-max.com/Products/...dyTouring.aspx

The following users liked this post:
xcbullet (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 07:56 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,785 Likes on 1,670 Posts

A couple of years ago, I had the S&S 97 inch big bore kit with Screamin Eagle ported heads on my 06 Heritage. Kept the 510G cams (for now). 98 hp and 102 lbs/torque. I’m very happy with this except I’ll be doing new cams in the future. I haven’t decided whether to go wit 583EZ start cams or 585s.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:55 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
This is what I'd recommend based on my experience with Fuel Moto. The challenge will be where to have it installed here in the Bay Area if you chose to outsource the work.

I'm still trying to figure out a shop to do my 107 install.
There are a couple places in the Bay Area that do good work. RE Engineering in San Jose (close to the Airport) does excellent work. He is a pretty small shop but does everything. Recently had him rebuild a bottom end for a 06 RK and install a TImken conversion). Got it back with just about exactly .001 run out on the crank ... good work. He has a dyno in his shop but currently has no one to run it.

RC Cycle Hayward has been around forever and also has a good reputation. I have not use them since around 2008 but I live very close driving by there several times a week. There are always a dozen bikes in the lot. If anyone can get a MM set up to perform Dyno Bob at RC Cycle can do it.

With respect to the set up I'm running an S&S 98" kit in my son's 06 RK with TW 555-6R cams, D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust and head work by Hannon,s in Hayward CA. Compression is set at about 10.3:1. This set up runs circles around my buddies 110" CVO Street Glides and can keep up with me on my 107 build pretty well (he's about 100 lbs lighter, I'm sure that helps)

Fuel Moto also has a 98" Big Bore kit as well but I'm not sure they set up the compression individually for different cam selections. The set of heads I had were previously decked and only 81CC (vs 85CC stock). I believe the FM 98" kit is based on stock head volume, A .030 head gasket and 10:1 compression. I could be mistaken but this is what was explained to me on the phone when I inquired. Some cams, my TW555-6R for example, perform better with a little more compression which is why I went with the S&S option and worked with Hannon's to get the compression set correctly. They actually machined the piston domes slightly to get the compression correct.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for bore kit, cams, throttle body, and...?