Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit the start button and *click*

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 06:29 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Hit the start button and *click*

I'm going to hope I just have a loose connection...

went to leave for work this afternoon (working nights) and I always let the bike warm up while I load all my junk up. Turned the switch on, flipped the kill button from stop to run, hit the starter button and... nobody home... it does click, and the dash lights will blink but she won't turn over. Lights look bright but it's harder to spot low voltage with LED lights nowadays. I normally park the bike inside my shop but due to a project of my wife's taking up space, I have parked the bike outside under my shed. It has gotten some rain blown in on it but nothing serious, and nothing I haven't been in numerous times on the road. I didn't have time to mess with it this afternoon so I got in the truck and came to work. I'll look at it tomorrow.

I rode to work Friday night and parked it Saturday early am when I got home, nothing abnormal. Business as usual. I didn't ride to work last night because of some thunderstorms blowing through. So the bike has only sat one day, battery was new in January.

Anyway, just venting more than anything. Bored at work and can't stop thinking about it hahaha. I expect everything to be fine when I check it out tomorrow. Worst case the new battery has taken a dump. Shat happens....

Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 PM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like battery is low. Hook up multimeter to your battery and press the start button … see how low it goes. If you don't have then charge and take in for load test.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:04 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

First thing to do is check connections. Surprising how often it is that. After that you have to figure out if charging system or battery. Batteries are more common.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:21 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

I'll snug the connections and check everything out some time tomorrow. I really doubt it's the battery being 6mo old but stranger things have happened. I honestly just hope it's one of those two things, hunting a random parasitic draw when the bike is shut down can be a pain in the ***.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Like Zerk said, check connections,especially battery cables. Anytime I have my seat off I check the battery cables tightness. I can ALWAYS move them some. The vibration and heat will make those cables loosen over time.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:59 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

The battery was swapped out in January - likely culprit would be loose connections: battery-starter or battery-ground. The battery connections will not take a lot of torque, be careful to not strip the bolts.

Could be a problem with the charging circuit.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:43 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

A battery like a boat anchor is only as good as it's connection...

Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I would check charging before I worried about chasing parasitic draw. If I was going to, I would just disconnect the battery when parked for a few days, a few times, and see if the problem went away. Thats what people used to do with old stuff.

But first I would check the connection, if not that, charging.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:12 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

I'm about to go fart with it, I'll report back. I do have a load tester as well so I can thoroughly check the battery out.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:28 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Everything is snug, battery is holding 11.8v and checks fine on my load tester. I'll carry it to the parts house to run on their digital tester, and they'll charge it overnight for me. Looking like a weak/bad battery at this point.

Quick Reply: Hit the start button and *click*