Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Long Ride Shield etc install question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1237449-long-ride-shield-etc-install-question.html)

Leverlution 06-07-2018 03:12 PM

Long Ride Shield etc install question

If I were to order an LRS or other "replacement" recurve shield for my 18 Road King Special, what else would be needed? I have a harley brand shield now with the brackets etc. Do I just unbolt everything and pop it on? Do I need some sort of tape kit from harley or something? Thanks

leftyjm 06-07-2018 06:41 PM

Nothing more if it’s similar to my Road Glide, 4 screws out put in new windshield and 4 screws in. 10 mins if that

Leverlution 06-07-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by leftyjm (Post 17420019)
Nothing more if it’s similar to my Road Glide, 4 screws out put in new windshield and 4 screws in. 10 mins if that

i think its a little different. Could be wrong. Road kings have the h brackets

Buzz 3 06-07-2018 06:50 PM

Call the Longride Shield folks and ask them. Been using one for 3 years now on my Ultra and they have great customer service. They will know if you need new tape.

nobodyknowsme 06-07-2018 07:31 PM

Have done it om my Road King. The hardest part is the stock shield had an adhesive that was a bit contrary to remove so just be careful so none of the hardware gets bent. Once you do it you will be all smiles. I know I have been for many years. Make sure you order a size that will allow you to look over as opposed to through. The height should come to about your nose but if any questions they have excellent customer support. My dark tint has seen many thousands of miles and still in perfect shape.

giacomo56 06-07-2018 08:32 PM

Road Kings have the hardware that needs to be removed, on my road king the tape is actually on the metal not the windshield,. Just be careful when you take it apart, do not overtighten the bolts or over time you will get cracks...i actually added two rows of additional electrical tape so it has some "give" and the windshield will not crack......
as someone also said, when you sit straight the top of the windshield should be at your nose height, unless you like looking through it....

RK_Classic 06-08-2018 04:06 AM

Like mentioned, do not bend the brackets when removing the old shield, Also do not use locktite or over tighten the hardware installing the new LRS.

rk classic.

GOV5 06-08-2018 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by leftyjm (Post 17420019)

I gotta ask this question: Why do you even need an LRS for a Road King? I can understand it on the Fairing bikes, which tend to have different heights and widths. But The RK windshield is a great one (imho).

RK_Classic 06-08-2018 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by GOV5 (Post 17420590)
I gotta ask this question: Why do you even need an LRS for a Road King? I can understand it on the Fairing bikes, which tend to have different heights and widths. But The RK windshield is a great one (imho).

I was looking through my stock RK shield so I replaced it with a shorter 18" LRS. Problem solved.

rk classic.

Nokkon Wud 06-08-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by GOV5 (Post 17420590)

Personally, around town I take mine off but for long hauls it goes back on.