Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to install new bars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,195 Likes on 658 Posts

Awe did poor you get your panties in a bunch because i said what needed to be said? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If you want to be respected try giving it instead of expecting it after disrespecting somebody. Dont give it if you cant take it.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:39 PM
FPV
Tourer
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

redacted context

Last edited by FPV; 06-17-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: gone away
Old 06-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,195 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
When you can figure out where to put a seat on a valve and why come talk to me JR
otherwise stay the course and do not crack the book and learn something.
You could not have ridden a Harley very far in the 60s or 70s...
i wasnt even alive in the 70s jackass. As far as cracking a book, ive done it enough for an mba so if you cant make a valid contribution to a thread do us all a favor and keep your dick beaters off the keyboard and dont say anything at all.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 AM
SCGamecock
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone. I should add that their is only one part that scares me a bit about doing it myself and that is the wiring. I watched a YouTube video and everything looked pretty easy until he got to a part where he had to pull the PIN connector apart in order to fish the wire through the handlebars. Fishing the wires is one thing but pulling apart a PIN connector makes me a nervous. I didn't understand why he had to pull the PIN connector apart in order to fish the wires back through the handlebars when he didnt have too to pull the wires out of the old bars. That part was a little unclear to me. Do I really have to do that?

Old 06-18-2018, 06:22 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,524 Likes on 10,077 Posts

I did not feel comfortable doing these 16's, so I paid my indy mechanic his going rate of $65 / hour to do the install.
He was a service manager for HD shop for 20 years before opening his own shop.
I have all the confidence in the world with this man.....never second guessing his work.
Money well spent.

Last edited by ybnorml; 06-18-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:14 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I had mine done by KST at their vendor tent, he wired the new bars on the bench before ever touching my bike. Two guys worked on it and I was in and out in 40 mins. They defiantly knew what they were doing as I'm sure they do a ton of these jobs at events.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

OP, if you change your mind and do the deed yourself, I'll make my usual suggestion...break the project into two phases.

First, get the bars and install them. Determine at that point if and how long your wiring, cables, and hoses need to be. It's very possible that your handlebar wiring won't need to be extended of you can reroute the chassis wiring. THEN order what you need.

At first, this may seem to be the long way around. But it can save time and money in the long run.

The last advice I have is to wait for the off season to do this project. ..if things go to hell in a handbasket, you could be down a week or two.

Last edited by Veekness; 06-18-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by ybnorml

I did not feel comfortable doing these 16's, so I paid my indy mechanic

Good advice... if you're not comfortable doing the repair/mod, get someone you trust to do it for you....

Over the years, there were jobs I wasn't willing to try, that I will do now without batting an eye... live and learn....

However, the canbus bikes are much easier to change bars than the older bikes. The electrical wires are all plug and play... they both plug into the switchpaks on the handle bars and plug into the harness (under fairing or nacelle) of the bikes. The connectors are smaller than in the past, which makes them much easier to feed through the bars and there's no need to remove and reinstall (an area where mistakes can be made) pins from electrical connectors.... You can buy a new harness from Namz that will work for bars up to 14". It replaces the OEM harness, so you avoid adding an extension that will have a connector/splice inside the bars.

Of course, if you need to change clutch or brake lines, that's just a little extra time and effort. Certainly not a daunting task...

The job can easily be done by someone with basic to intermediate mechanical skills... just take your time, refer to the service manual when in doubt, then take pride in a job well-done...!

Last edited by hattitude; 06-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts
The following users liked this post:
macbar19 (07-01-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:16 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

you can't ask for price quotes without all the info.
What bike (fairing or not)?
what bars? Wire extensions needed? brake line extensions needed? clutch cable needed?
Wiring internal in bars?

So much is involved that you don't realize.
the original post is much too vague.

The following users liked this post:
SCGamecock (06-19-2018)

Quick Reply: How much to install new bars?