Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to install new bars?

Old 06-19-2018, 07:37 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

If you aren't confident in doing it yourself, don't. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I did mine because I am a stingy *****. I spent between 1500 and 2K on mine and did almost everything myself. And I will never do it again.

The wiring is easy. But then I am good with a soldering iron. The clutch cable sucked, you have to loosen or remove the right side exhaust. The brake lines I replaced were a chore, tank had to come off. New riser bushings sucked too. The ones I ordered, which many here said were the go to brand, didn't fit in my bike and I ended up reordering different ones. All told, I spent a couple months on the project.

As mentioned before you are best to do it in 2 phases. Get the bars, extend the wires, install the bars where you want them. Then phase 2 you measure for brake and clutch if needed. I swapped all mine for a theme. MIne only went into the shop for a power bleed on the ABS and to fix the exhaust leak since I didn't get it lined up right.

You can do it. Just be patient, have a manual, and know that there will be speed bumps. Otherwise, find a shop you trust. They will get it in and out and away you go.

The following users liked this post:
SCGamecock (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 AM
SCGamecock
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
you can't ask for price quotes without all the info.
What bike (fairing or not)?
what bars? Wire extensions needed? brake line extensions needed? clutch cable needed?
Wiring internal in bars?

So much is involved that you don't realize.
the original post is much too vague.
2015 Ultra Limited. I planned on going with 12" bars which from what I have read are just big enough not to have to extend the wiring or brake and clutch cables. Hopefully that is true.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had them installed at the dealer for $1500. Was a bargin. I used the Carlini 12"apes, Carlini grips, new TBW unit, NAMZ wire extensions , HD brake and Clutch hoses and Carlini bushings. That was parts included.
Before anyone's horseshit kicks in, I had them installed because I work 6 days a week underground and the last thing I want to do on my day off is change bars. I have a **** load of tools and a lift table, but NO TIME for anything.
Don't forget to change the bushings in the bars. The stock ones suck bad.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

You needs lots of patience if you want to do it yourself. I put 10in Khromewerks bobber apes and I still had to extend the wires by 6-8 inches. I didnt have to put new brake and clutch lines, but if I did, I would have had to take it to the dealer just for the brakes alone since I have ABS. Bar install gets expensive quick because all of the associated parts you need. The 1500 quote seems to be inline with most jobs, but prices will vary. So the higher the bars the higher the install price.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

You needs lots of patience if you want to do it yourself. I put 10in Khromewerks bobber apes and I still had to extend the wires by 6-8 inches. I didnt have to put new brake and clutch lines, but if I did, I would have had to take it to the dealer just for the brakes alone since I have ABS. Bar install gets expensive quick because all of the associated parts you need. The 1500 quote seems to be inline with most jobs, but prices will vary. So the higher the bars the higher the install price.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:04 PM
redeemed
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2013 ultra classic that had 18 inch apes. Harley wants $1100.00 to change back to stock bars.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:41 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

please post a pic of 18 in apes on a ultra

Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 AM
zeke7142003
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm interested in doing this. I've seen the videos and it's nothing I wouldn't be afraid to do. My only problem is I'd have to wait until late October to do this in my garage because of the heat and humidity here in South Carolina. My garage is a sweat box from mid May to late October.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by zeke7142003
I'm interested in doing this. I've seen the videos and it's nothing I wouldn't be afraid to do. My only problem is I'd have to wait until late October to do this in my garage because of the heat and humidity here in South Carolina. My garage is a sweat box from mid May to late October.
Well, good idea, heat and humidity can make any project into a miserable undertaking. You might wanna consider breaking your project up into two phases, as I suggested earlier.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:50 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Will be letting the dealer install these in a couple weeks.
LA Choppers Twin Peak - 12"

Price listed is parts & labor for a 2014 and up Batwing bike.
If I really wanted to tackle this myself, I am sure I could get it done (I do most of my own work, but not all).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much to install new bars?