Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm I The Only One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:35 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by oasis856
Did a 500 mile run down 95 south yesterday, the 100 miles between Washington DC & Richmond Va is insanely dangerous. With cell phone towers allowing nonstop texting & talking, a level of fear/caution must be used. The signs;
BREAK TEST & FLOATING IN THE LANES.
AMAZING, how drivers text & drive at 80mph plus.
Please don't text & drive, please don't text/talk with your children in the car & please talk to family members about the results of texting & driving.
I have done that stretch several times riding from NJ to Maggie Valley on the bike.......

Back six years ago, it didn't faze me one bit, now's a different story some how.

I think if I can find a few local riders to ride with who like to ride under 80mph, I'll get out of my funk and enjoy the ride again....

Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

58 here, and I'm growing more aware of my mortality and the increased time in takes me to heal. I'll continue riding as long as I'm able, but my mental game has changed as I grow older.

- Longer following distances, made longer still if somoene's following me closer than I like.

- follow close to the path carved by the tires of the car in front of me so I don't run over something that he straddles without incident

- more diligence about checking both directions before crossing intersections that some inattentive driver may blow

- am leary of every car that seems it might possibly turn left across my path, and remain situationally aware about my best avoidance action

- trying to be more zen-like by not letting other drivers get under my skin and make me crack the throttle *in anger* to get around them

and more, of course.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:48 PM
wiliturk
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Groups bother me as they can only do 45 MPH and are white knuckled
Why is that? I tried riding with a group of guys I work with. It was like being in a parade. We held cars up. Never went over 50mph, and that was on the interstate. I told them we were going to get killed riding like this. They told me they were concerned for their CDL's and just couldn't chance it. I told them we should at least do the speed limit. I haven't rode with them since, they haven't asked me either.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 PM
115th FLHXS
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I'm 62, been riding Harleys on the street since 1977.....

No doubt there are more people driving on the roads now, than when I started riding on the street.

No doubt there are more distracted drivers now, than when I started riding on the street.

Absolutely there are more angry, in a hurry drivers now, than when I started riding on the street.

And yet...... I will not give up riding because of the "other" guy...!

I have adopted my riding style to be much more defensive, but life is full of risk. And it's not getting any safer, in almost everything we do...

Each individual needs decide the risk they're willing to accept for all of their choices.......
To me this sums it up all perfectly.

In fact, I could not agree more.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-26-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 AM
07_Dyna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At 68 I suppose I have thought too much about dying. Went to the Philippines last year and brought home the most wonderful little person. She is my wife now. (If you're considering doing the same better go to thephilippineresource.com first) So I have a lot to live for and, thank You God, I'm healthy as a hog and feeling fine.

I have a few things to say.

Drivers not seeing you - could that be your fault? Is your bike murdered (flat black) and your clothing the same? Pull your head out of your ***. Wear a bright orange shirt. Or get killed - I don't care.

Helmets - some people don't have a lot to protect, so they don't

Space Cadet - are you aware.. of anything? Are you watching your mirrors? Watching for cars that are not acting right? Planning an escape route, in case that car turns in front of you? DRIVING SLOW ENOUGH so you can do something - hell, ANYTHING - except plow into it? If you have to hit it will you put your boots on the triple trees and do a birdman?

Tantrums - what chance do you have, against any car? "...You don't tug on Superman's cape..." (Jim Croche)

Drinking and riding - be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

OK - so you do all the obvious things. You take responsibility for your self and you do what you can to survive. Still, you might lose. Let's examine that.

"It is appointed to each man, once, to die," (you know Who)

The hip way to die, in the 21st century, is lying on your back, screaming (if you're able) while you frantically push that button for more morphine. But is doesn't work, 'cause it has a timer... There is a hallway in the hospital in your town where that is happening, as you read this.

Well, Lord, let me get hit by lightning, OK, please? And if there is not enough lightning to go around, let me get hit on my bike - hit so hard I am knocked out, and never wake up.