Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans. rebuild - it's only money

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trans. rebuild - it's only money

I have a 2009 Elecra Glide Classic from almost new. I do all my own regular maintenance.
When it was about 4 months old I bought it from a fellow in Oregon, went through all the BS to bring it to Canada, then had to go through more BS to keep the warranty alive. Done.
During the inspection the service manager mentioned the noise in the transmission are sounded like an input shaft bearing dying, so I made an appointment and had it redone on the MoCo's dime.
Last year, the noise comes back, but, foolish me, we were gong through a financial rough patch just then, I parked it for the winter and thought I'll get it done THIS winter.
Nope.
In May it was so noisy, I thought "Better get this seen to" - finances were improving so .....
Long wait for the dealer, took it to an indie I've worked with before, he had it for a week, couldn't cure the noise, finally gave up & gave me back the bike, (no charge - nice of him, and appreciated)
I know he put in parts, 'cause I saw the old ones.
Took a deep breath and made an appointment with the dealer, 18 days into the future, but they could pick the thing up, since no way am I riding it!
So: No wonder it sounds like *****.
Output shaft bearing housing gouged - needs a transmission case.
6th gear needs replacing, metal "dots" like welding slag on the inner section just below the gear.
Main shaft scored, needs replacing.
What's still good? Gears 1-5, and shift forks. That's it. I told them to rebuild it.
I don't smoke, or drink, or gamble. I havn't replaced my computer or tablet in 5 years (no need). I'm not buying a new 'bike anytime soon and it's one of 2 extravagances - the other is my woodworking and I'm set up for tools.
The cost? $3250.00 Canadian. Holy cow! Without it, the bike is scrap metal, so what the heck, it's only money.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

For that money I would check out a Baker. Sorry for your misfortune but my 01 Road King transmission has been rebuilt a couple times.

The following 3 users liked this post by nobodyknowsme:
Campy Roadie (07-02-2018), GREENOHAWK69 (07-03-2018), Kingglide549 (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider

They gave me the option - it was a bunch more money and a delay while they got it in from the 'states, plus the uncertainty of the currency fluctuations

Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

As noted above, I'd give Baker a call. The DD5 builder's kit looks like a better deal, also I think they give a forum member discount.

https://bakerdrivetrain.com/collecti...nt=19560369731

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 07-01-2018, 09:57 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Nice. The dealer screwed it up the first time they went through it and now you get to pay for their mistake. I would have just taken it home at that point and put a Baker in it ...

Old 07-01-2018, 10:16 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Look into replacing the automatic chain tensioner in the primary with one that's adjusted manually. The automatic one that comes from the factory has no way to loosen once it ratchets up and the trans is usually what goes first.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Default Trams.

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Nice. The dealer screwed it up the first time they went through it and now you get to pay for their mistake. I would have just taken it home at that point and put a Baker in it ...
Different dealer. Different indie. Too far away by the tow bill to take to my "regular" independent guys.
They gave me the option of the Baker. It was more expensive enough I had to say "no". In another couple of years, when everything's ok, I'll look at the upgrade.
Besides, it's 8 years later. If the original dealer had screwed up, it wouldn't have gone this far like to Cali and back 3 times etc.

Last edited by Alter Kaker; 07-01-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:07 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Mileage?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Mileage?
48 ish thousand kilometres.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Buying a Baker gear set isn't going to address gouged transmission case. With the new case and the Baker gear set it would be much more expensive.

Quick Reply: Trans. rebuild - it's only money