Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear turn signal lenses. Need to dial it down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:01 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Rear turn signal lenses. Need to dial it down.

Have custom dynamics rear LED's turn signals. All around really. But in the rear they are really bright. When I apply the brakes they get even brighter. I think it's because I used red lens with red leds. Question is how can I mellow the light a bit. What color lens might do that. I just added the tour pak rack brake light to make it more distinguishable. But would like to make the rear brake/running lights softer? I am think the right lens would do the trick. Thanks

Old 07-04-2018, 02:24 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Those lights can save your life.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:36 PM
ldk59
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with OldMike, the reason I run CD LEDs on both my sleds is BECAUSE they're obnoxiously bright!

You could try some dark smoked lenses to tone them down a bit if you really feel you must though

Old 07-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Route66
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Totally agree with previous posts. I installed Custom Dynamics LED Fillerz. They're bright as hell and that was the point,

Photo by Custom Dynamics

Old 07-04-2018, 03:05 PM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

they make smoke vinyl tint you can install they have it in different shades from light to dark it will take the brightness down a little (light) or a lot (dark) local shops that do car graphics can do it for you or if your handy can order some online an diy

your signal lights look like there on brake in that pic compared to your other running lights that would drive me insane if it was my bike, id swap them all to led to have the same brightness

Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 PM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Bright is safest - resist the temptation to “tone them down” and look ahead for knuckle-headed texting idiots.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks I will think about it I agree. More light more better. But the reason for concern is my buddy said that the brake light is not that MUCH brighter. So a person can see the light. But if they can't see or tell the brake light is on. Defeats the purpose. Which is the reason for the high tail light brake light. Plus I thing the whole lights thing looks cool! lol. Check out the front of my bike . I am defiantly seen. LED's below windshield. Engine guard lights, Daymakers all around. And the Halo blinkers from Custom Dynamics. Also have the pigtail add on that allows brights and spots and the same time.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:20 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

They're behind you and you can't see them. What's the problem?

Old 07-04-2018, 07:27 PM
TXNT
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I would call Custom Dynamics and ask the why there is so little difference between running and brake. I converted my 2012 rears to CD LED's with red lenses and there is a noticeable difference between brake and running. Did you use the 1157 replacements or 1156? There is a difference and more voltage (brake) to an 1156 will make a slight difference. Could be you got the wrong LED.

The bike looks great from the front BTW.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:23 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Budda109

Thanks I will think about it I agree. More light more better. But the reason for concern is my buddy said that the brake light is not that MUCH brighter. So a person can see the light. But if they can't see or tell the brake light is on. Defeats the purpose. Which is the reason for the high tail light brake light. Plus I thing the whole lights thing looks cool! lol. Check out the front of my bike . I am defiantly seen. LED's below windshield. Engine guard lights, Daymakers all around. And the Halo blinkers from Custom Dynamics. Also have the pigtail add on that allows brights and spots and the same time.
Yes, these leds are bright but their is little contrast between running light and brake light. CD sells a module to increase contrast. Or, you can make a simple circuit to fix the contrast issue. I ride with a couple folks that have these leds and its difficult to know when their brakes are applied unless you look directly at the led's. Not a safe way to ride. I use smoked lenses, dont think they do much to reduce intensity. They certainly do nothing to create more contrast.

This circuit costs ~$4 to make and works perfect. Made one a few years ago and I think used a 33 ohm resistor. Definitely used schottky diodes which have a very small forward votage drop. If you go this route, when trying different electrical components, keep in mind that the leds get brighter when the bike is actually running. Or, just spend the money with a plug and play module that can be adjusted . Either way, your buds will appreciate it.

The following users liked this post:
Budda109 (07-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Rear turn signal lenses. Need to dial it down.