Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded sporty, bought SGS

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:20 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Think I can help you spend your money more effectively. First I have the Lindby engine guard on my older bike as I like the looks. But not crazy about them as they are not very stiff, with some side to side movement when I put my feet on them. Personally I would look at another company such as Big Buffalo or Factory 47 if you felt the need for change but nothing wrong with stock IMO. As far as highway pegs I would not use them at all and sorry I ever put them on my Road Glide. For quite a long time I have had Cyclesmiths Banana Boards on my Road King and I guess the most comfortable mod I have ever made to a bike, barring apes and seats. Of course I added pegs to my Road Glide when I first got it and have not removed them only because of the scar that they leave. After a little while I realized that I needed the Banana Boards on the Road Glide and life is wonderful. If you go this route be sure to get the XL size, and at nearly 22" long there is a boatload of room to adjust your footing for comfort. Between the length and the shape of the boards these things are super sweet (and comfortable).

I never felt the need for windshield pouches so wouldn't stress over that. I mean you are coming from a Sportster to a touring bike with saddlebags so enjoy/embrace the change. But the shield does require changing so my go to shield has been LRS for years now. You can spend more money on other shields but dollar for dollar they are your best bet. And unless you are in a huge hurry wait as they run sales pretty often if you want to save a few bucks. Just had one for the 4th and surely will again for Labor day.

And smooth move on removing the heel shifter. There are either caps or spacers that will dress up that part of the spine if you like. If you end up going with BB or any aftermarket boards you will especially appreciate the heel shifter not being there. Harley even finally recognized that not everyone was comfortable with the stock foot boards and now offer a slightly longer but super pricey extended length version.

Best of luck with the new bike and yeah, you are in the right section of the forum. One last thing, your signature. If you are an old man I would like to buy a few years off of ya LOL

The following users liked this post:
Old Iron Man (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
Are wind splitters, (an HD product), not popular? Why would there not be a windshield pouch solution for the most popular bike, with a very popular windshield?
I have the wind splitter and I am very happy with it. I did have the long ride windshield but it cracked and finally broke on me a while ago. I am real happy with the wind protection it gives. Not the best looking however.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

Maybe off topic a little, but I never understood why people remove the heel shifter on their bikes. Using the heel shifter is one of things I love about Harley baggers. Every shift is "down" if you think about it. Just so comfortable to me. Is it a "new" thing? Like t-bars and mini fairings on dynas? If I bought a bike with the heel linkage removed, that would be the first thing to go BACK ON. JMHO.

Oh yeah....CONGRATS on the new bike!!

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 07-10-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM
MNRiding
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I am 5'6" and really like the long angle mount. They are very adjustable them to be able to get the right distance and placement that is comfortable with a 29" inseam. I have mine set so that I have a slight bend in knees when on pegs, but I can stretch out by placing bottom of heel or ankle on peg. Also can place heels on floorboard and ***** of feet on pegs for variety on long rides.
I also recommend the extended heel shifter. I mounted mine almost even height with floorboard. Gives more room to use all of the floorboard. Then just slide back to shift without hardly lifting heel. It is out of the way, but still there when you want the heel shift .

Last edited by MNRiding; 07-10-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM
MNRiding
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I am 5'6" and really like the long angle mount. They are very adjustable them to be able to get the right distance and placement that is comfortable with a 29" inseam. I have mine set so that I have a slight bend in knees when on pegs, but I can stretch out by placing bottom of heel or ankle on peg. Also can place heels on floorboard and ***** of feet on pegs for variety on long rides.
I also recommend the extended heel shifter. I mounted mine almost even height with floorboard. Gives more room to use all of the floorboard. Then just slide back to shift without hardly lifting heel. It is out of the way, but still there when you want the heel shift .

Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

I am having them add all the stuff in my new signature, plus I went back there and spent another $700 on little stuff like transparent paint guard, saddlebag organizers and travel bags inserts, QD pass backrest & luggage rack, derby cover, smoked lenses, custom shift linkage, etc... I am also having them remove the hell shifter.

There only two little things I can't decide on:
1) Do I want to go with highway pegs mounted on the crash bar, long or short angle, or change the crash bar to a Lindbar type, or live without them and just use the floor boards? I used the highway pegs on my Iron, (below), all the time, (but Iron's don't have floorboards), My legs are short, (29" inseam), and I'm 5'7". I was worried that if I got the Lindbar, my feet would not reach the footrests on the top of the bar, and on the HD angled peg mounts & pegs, will they be out to far? And if mounted closer, will I not be able to reach them because of the brake pedal? Mostly, they just look a little clunky clamped on there. Any suggestions?

2) This whole windshield pouches don't work with wind splitters thing is just plain odd. Are wind splitters, (an HD product), not popular? Why would there not be a windshield pouch solution for the most popular bike, with a very popular windshield?

1) I am similar size as you (5'-5.25", 30" inseam). I had the short angled mount that I transferred from my Dyna, and they were juuuuust a bit to short. I sold them and purchased the long version; much better. However, your local parts guy should be able to loosely mount a set of each to help you decide.

2) For reference, imagine that your stock windshield is completely opaque. Better, mask completely off with tape. Having it blocked, combined with the fairing, was too little visibility for me. But YMMV. Not sure about pouches vs wind-splitter.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

I am having them add all the stuff in my new signature, plus I went back there and spent another $700 on little stuff like transparent paint guard, saddlebag organizers and travel bags inserts, QD pass backrest & luggage rack, derby cover, smoked lenses, custom shift linkage, etc... I am also having them remove the hell shifter.

There only two little things I can't decide on:
1) Do I want to go with highway pegs mounted on the crash bar, long or short angle, or change the crash bar to a Lindbar type, or live without them and just use the floor boards? I used the highway pegs on my Iron, (below), all the time, (but Iron's don't have floorboards), My legs are short, (29" inseam), and I'm 5'7". I was worried that if I got the Lindbar, my feet would not reach the footrests on the top of the bar, and on the HD angled peg mounts & pegs, will they be out to far? And if mounted closer, will I not be able to reach them because of the brake pedal? Mostly, they just look a little clunky clamped on there. Any suggestions?
I love my Linbar. Never put my feet up on top, so I mounted move LEDs on the front to be seen. My feet now slide all the way up into the Linbar and is comfortable. I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you. Oh, and congrats and welcome to the touring section.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:17 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Wow, nice!
It seems like a totally different bike? Are you setting on a ton of cash these days?

Old 07-11-2018, 02:48 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
Wow, nice!
It seems like a totally different bike? Are you setting on a ton of cash these days?
No, cash flow is always an issue, but... I owned the Iron outright, and paid for all the stuff I put on it over a year. Now I'm on the hook to Eaglemark Bank for a while. You see, I made the mistake of taking my 1200 Iron up to bike week in Laconia, NH for a few days. At least 75% of the bikes up there, (thousands), were HD Touring. Mostly Street Glides and Road Glides. They were all so f-ing awesome, and my modded out Iron, that I though was so cool riding around my town, seemed dwarfed compared to all the "big bikes". There were very few Sporty's. Not to mention it was difficult to carry overnight stuff, plus a jacket. I didn't have saddle bags, because I didn't like the look on the Iron. I had a detachable windshield that was needed to the long highway ride, but I had to take it off and haul it into my hotel room because it looks goofy on an Iron imo. While I was drooling over the Street Glides, wondering how all these people can afford them, (and also have a car)? It occurred to me that there is such a thing as financing. I really didn't want to go that route, but... The local dealer up there had one on the lot with the apes, pipes, etc.. just how I would want it, and I test drove it. Oh man. Made my Iron seem like a toy. The "life is short" feeling came over me and I visited my regular dealer the next day and he came up $1,500 more on my trade, and got me a tier one rate from HD, and wadda you know, it was time to go shipping for mods! Still haven't told the wife yet. Supposed to pick it up, all done, on Fri. Surprise! Looking forward to posting some revised shots

Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Haven't told the wife yet. Classic move and what I have done with a couple bikes.

Old Iron Man (07-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Traded sporty, bought SGS