Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded sporty, bought SGS

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Haven't told the wife yet. Classic move and what I have done with a couple bikes.
My first bike, last spring, she encouraged me to buy. A month ago, she encouraged me to trade for the street glide, since she was tired of hearing me talk about wanting a street glide, (she doesn’t even know what it is). She had an ulterior motive. She wanted to be able to use my street glide purchase to justify her nagging for a convertible. Interestingly, when I bailed on the street glide last month, she still whined for a convertible until she got it. Therefore, I fully completely justified in springing this surprise on her in a few days when it just shows up in the garage. How long can she possibly stay mad for? I work hard. I deserve it, right?

The following users liked this post:
Hate Work (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man

My first bike, last spring, she encouraged me to buy. A month ago, she encouraged me to trade for the street glide, since she was tired of hearing me talk about wanting a street glide, (she doesn’t even know what it is). She had an ulterior motive. She wanted to be able to use my street glide purchase to justify her nagging for a convertible. Interestingly, when I bailed on the street glide last month, she still whined for a convertible until she got it. Therefore, I fully completely justified in springing this surprise on her in a few days when it just shows up in the garage. How long can she possibly stay mad for? I work hard. I deserve it, right?
yes hard work deserves it.

I am a toe shifter too but instead of removing my rear shift lever. I put on the shift arm that lets you move the peg at an angle and I do find using my heel to find neutral easier.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:47 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

On my 3rd bagger and the heel shifter has always been the first thing to go. And you’re welcome to post whatever you want in the M8 section. You have an M8 and there are some things specific to the 17’s and up. Don’t mind the wannabe forum police. Nothin wrong with the touring section either!

Old Iron Man (07-22-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
How long can she possibly stay mad for?
Usually once she gets over it enough to go for the first ride. But make sure you have the bike set up for her to be comfortable. Mine never liked foot pegs so I replaced them with boards. Not only a backrest but put on a detachable tour pack just to make her feel more in than on the bike. Best of luck!!!

Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 AM
RoyB
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Beautiful bike. I was really debating on a SGS but ended with an Ultra.

I have a single pouch on my Fat Boy. It has no bags so it's extremely helpful (thought now I removed the windshield lol). I was researching pouches for the Ultra and was having a hard time finding one that worked well with the vent. Then I thought, what do I need the pouch for I have bags? I got a nice phone mount and the rest of the stuff (insurance, kickstand plate, glasses, etc) are sitting in my bags now. I got pouches for my lowers (which you don't have), but they are tiny and not all that useful.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 AM
RoyB
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh yea, try the heel shifter out. I was totally weirded out by it on my first touring bike with it. The more I used it the more I liked it. Plus it's damn near impossible to get into N without it.

Old Iron Man (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:35 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by RoyB
Oh yea, try the heel shifter out. I was totally weirded out by it on my first touring bike with it. The more I used it the more I liked it. Plus it's damn near impossible to get into N without it.
Thanks Roy. I took your advice and tried out the heel shifter and I really like it. I'm so glad I didn't have them remove it.
Cheers!

Last edited by Old Iron Man; 07-21-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Maybe off topic a little, but I never understood why people remove the heel shifter on their bikes. Using the heel shifter is one of things I love about Harley baggers. Every shift is "down" if you think about it. Just so comfortable to me. Is it a "new" thing? Like t-bars and mini fairings on dynas? If I bought a bike with the heel linkage removed, that would be the first thing to go BACK ON. JMHO.

Oh yeah....CONGRATS on the new bike!!
You are totally right! I left the heel shifter on, because the dealer forgot to remove it and I didn’t want to wait there, plus there’s a cap piece that would have to be ordered. I said screw it, leave it on, and I’m glad I did. I love it. I use it all the time now.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:04 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

If you like the heel shifter bonaroo. I don't like it, and for specific reasons. It's all about what YOU like, not what I like!

That said, when I remove it, I cut off the extra shaft. I'll never use it.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:55 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I only use the rear shifter for neutral.

I went with this.

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/folding-heel-shifter

can't quite figure out how to do the link on the mobile. Copy paste look it up if you wish. It's the folding feel shifter.

Quick Reply: Traded sporty, bought SGS