Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slight wobble around 70mph?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker87
Tire pressure is set to 34psi cold

I’m going to order the rear bushing and engine front engine mount regardless just do to there age, I’ll have a look at the front steering bearing

this was happening while going straight, it’s possable it was the roads but it done it on a few different routes we was on that’s what got me wondering if it something with the bike?

again it wasn’t really bad it was pretty mild but enough to feel it, I was on it today and felt it again on another highway right about 70mph feels like the back is wondering just a touch
It wouldn't hurt to try a bit more psi up to the max pressure on the sidewall. I run 40/41 in my Michelin CIIs.

Last edited by DAVENRINO; 07-18-2018 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stroker87 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, 34 is WAY too low. Minimum would be 38 but 40 cold is much better. Too low of pressure can let the tires flex too much.

stroker87 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Your tyre pressures are wrong, especially if you have 34psi in both. Check your owners manual, but also check the website of the brand of tyres you are using, as they are not always the same. Don't go spending any money until you have the psi sorted!

stroker87 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I also agree that your tire pressure is too low. What tires do you have on the bike? Go to their website and see what the recommended tire pressure is. Dunlop for example even has recommended tire pressures that are tire model and bike model specific. Don't use the pressure on the sidewall or the manual. That is max pressure for the tire and will be a lot higher than the recommended and the owners manual will be for the original tires, probably Dunlop 402's.

For example Dunlop American Elites for my bike the recommended air pressure is 36 front, 40 rear. At 34 it's going to ride different than it should.

Put the right air pressure in the tires and I bet your problem goes away. As I said before, probably no need to change those other parts unless you just want peace of mind and have extra cash and time.

stroker87 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 05:41 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

ditto on tire pressure. I also like my true track. made a world of difference.

stroker87 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 AM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

i have continental conti legend's on the bike, just read the side wall 40psi max on both, there website or any place on the inner web i cant find a "recommended" pressure? i'll bump them up to 37 or 38psi i ride solo and took the tour pak off so max might be a little much i think?

i dont usually just throw parts at something hoping to fix a problem, but replacing the rubber bushing and front engine mount would make me feel better just knowing i replaced the 10+ year old parts, ill be doing the labor so its not going to hurt my pocket all that much i got a service manual to so shouldn't be to bad on me

all the feed back is awesome guys!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by stroker87
i have continental conti legend's on the bike, just read the side wall 40psi max on both, there website or any place on the inner web i cant find a "recommended" pressure? i'll bump them up to 37 or 38psi i ride solo and took the tour pak off so max might be a little much i think?

i dont usually just throw parts at something hoping to fix a problem, but replacing the rubber bushing and front engine mount would make me feel better just knowing i replaced the 10+ year old parts, ill be doing the labor so its not going to hurt my pocket all that much i got a service manual to so shouldn't be to bad on me

all the feed back is awesome guys!
Take one step at a time, there's a good chap! Fix your tyre pressures first. Use the numbers in your owners manual. If you don't have one visit the Harley website, Owners tab, where you should be able to download one. I suspect your bike will ride much better with the correct pressures, then you can attend to the other suggestions we've made above, confident that you have solved this mystery.

stroker87 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

are bikes are getting old , I look at it like you have to stay up on there issues,and I wouldnt know what to do with all my time(retired)lol . one thing that helped was 10 years ago I added one of those tru-tracks. I also plan on doing an alignment...watched a bunch of videos , really like the simple one with the string and cones. neck and swing are bearings are on my list too perhaps

stroker87 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:38 PM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah im going to bump the pressure up 1st and take it out on the highway see how it go's when the rain lets up maybe sunday, but still regardless will do the swing arm bushings for a peace of mind if those are still good

Old 07-21-2018, 02:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

If you're particularly heavy also consider adding extra air, after trying stock pressures first. Make changes in small steps. I've owned Harleys for over 40 years and the MoCo has never addressed tyre pressures properly IMHO. A very light rider should try slightly lower pressures, just as a heavy solo rider should add a little extra, as should two riders, especially when loaded up for that grand tour. I have three sets of pressures for my Glide: solo, duo, max.

Quick Reply: slight wobble around 70mph?