Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet

Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcarso1
well I think my new helmet is gonna be a full face. Can you full face riders out there give me your pros and cons of the helmets your using and maybe some pics? I know that weight is my major concern right now and a helmet with the best perifferal view is really important!
I use the Bell RS-1 full face helmet. It is very quiet and comfortable and I like it a lot. I don't consider there to be any significant cons to the helmet. I will not ride without its protection. It works terrific with the Sena 20s for streaming tunes from my GPS or iPhone. It also has good venting for cooling ventilation. I'm not a big guy (5'7" dripping wet) and the weight does not bother me in the slightest. DOT requires pretty good peripheral vision which is standard on FF helmets pretty much.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 181 Posts

whatever you end up buying, be sure to get one with bluetooth and built in speakers.

The following users liked this post:
g.pederson (06-01-2020)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

My most recent purchase is a Shoe RF-SR. I've owned a few full face helmets over the years and it is the best so far. Fits very well and the ventilation is excellent. It also came with a Pinlock visor, which really helps with anti-fog. My favorite feature is that the face shield is supposed to filter out 99.9% of UV A and B rays. I know it works because the transitions lenses in my glasses do not turn dark when I'm wearing it. Just like my car windshield. That's a big plus for me because I've had malignant melanoma.

The following users liked this post:
jmbear328 (08-08-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 AM
nykn72
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I know all the full face benefits , and wear a modular most times ..... but using with a half is so much better IMHO.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM
owend78
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I half a 3/4 and a fullface. Only down side from the FF is I can't feel the wind (obviously), I use it for longer trips, helps keep the wind noise to a minimum, can ride without glasses. Only down side, since I don't use the pinlock, is it can fog up randomly but it rarely happens.
I wear the HJC IS series, seems true to size that is advertised and fits my dome pretty well.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:40 AM
jimglassford
Tourer
Received 195 Likes on 115 Posts

I too am considering moving from a 1/2 helmet to a full helmet for the crash protection. I have a Harley 1/2 helmet and a carbon fiber full face Harley made by HJC. I really do not like the fit of the Full Face Harley. I know that HJC tends to build toward the bottom end of the price and quality range. I have a large head, wearing an XXL full face in the Harley Branded. I feal like I am always trying to pull the front down lower while riding. In addition, it is very hot. I blame this on the design not that it is a full face helmet. I will be looking toward the higher end helmets and pay for the better design. As you get into the higher end Shoei and like helmets, I know you are paying a lot for the name but I hear they just fit better and provide more ventilation. I guess I am just saying, I will stay away from the Harley helmets in the future.

As for those who offer a modular when the OP is asking for full face recommendations, the modules may block more wind but offer no more crash protection than a 3/4 helmet. The chin piece is not designed for any impact and will come loose in a crash. This has been discussed many times in the past.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 PM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been thinking the same thing. I really like the looks and features of the Bell Bullet.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,619 Likes on 3,209 Posts

Originally Posted by jimglassford
I too am considering moving from a 1/2 helmet to a full helmet for the crash protection. I have a Harley 1/2 helmet and a carbon fiber full face Harley made by HJC. I really do not like the fit of the Full Face Harley. I know that HJC tends to build toward the bottom end of the price and quality range. I have a large head, wearing an XXL full face in the Harley Branded. I feal like I am always trying to pull the front down lower while riding. In addition, it is very hot. I blame this on the design not that it is a full face helmet. I will be looking toward the higher end helmets and pay for the better design. As you get into the higher end Shoei and like helmets, I know you are paying a lot for the name but I hear they just fit better and provide more ventilation. I guess I am just saying, I will stay away from the Harley helmets in the future.

As for those who offer a modular when the OP is asking for full face recommendations, the modules may block more wind but offer no more crash protection than a 3/4 helmet. The chin piece is not designed for any impact and will come loose in a crash. This has been discussed many times in the past.
The HJC RPHA series helmets are quality pieces.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Shoei Neotec modular for me.

Pros:
Flip up front that locks down very securely
Confidence that come from knowing that if I fall down and bonk my head I'm as protected as I can be (having chosen a modular)
Extremely comfortable for my medium oval head
Drop down sun visor
Pinlock shield system
Removable/Washable padding
Blue tooth ready
Very good venting
Quiet

Cons:
Stink like an old barn. Has since new, and 24 months later it still does. Some say it's the glue they use. I dunno, I don't care; it's unpleasant if I think about it

I've gotten used to the one con, all else on this full face/modular is stellar. It's not the most expensive modular out there (shuiberth C3 being more money), it IS expensive though. That having been said it's very comfortable, very quiet, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I like it that much. Being on blood thinners for three years now, I made the decision to go full face all the time while riding when I started on this damned medication, and the Neotec modular gives me the confidence I need to know I'm being smart, and it's a quality helmet.

As Mr. Brown suggested, trying on your helmet of choice makes all the difference. I tried on a Shuberth C3...love the look of that helmet and I know they're good.It just wasn't a good fit for my head size and shape. If you buy from Revzilla, they're return policy is excellent, so they're a good recourse if trying on helmets isn't practical fro you.

Good luck!

Last edited by gipper; 07-20-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:21 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,640 Likes on 2,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Puglia10
Nice helmet but there are way better options for the money. Unless you're after looks, then Simpson does have their niche.
While I do like the looks of it, the weight is the biggest factor and it seems that actual reviews of the helmet all seem to sing the praises of it. Some of those reviews are coming from riders that wore the other brands mentioned. What other options would you recommend lightweight, good performing helmets?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Full face helmet