Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a stupid error I think so have a brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:43 PM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

another option is maybe have a lookski on CL or offer^ might be able to pick up a good used one cheap?

Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Just open a bleeder should allow release of the pistons. Easy push back that way. To bleed after together attach a length of plastic tubing to the bleeder dropped into a can or similar of your dot 4 brake fluid. Keep the reservoir full to the recommended level during bleeding.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

I pull my pistons and clean them up and put them back in. I doubt you have hurt anything , just relax and pull caliper loose clean the area with a paper towel and slide it back together.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:12 AM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

It did sound like one piston moved out too far.

I've worked on plenty of disc brake calipers but not on a Harley unit. Pushing it in now may lodge some dirt in the bore.

If it was me I'd disconnect the line and keep it positioned upward so no air moves into the line. Disassemble the caliper and look around.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 AM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the plan on Sunday I think. I got the pads off now and for some reason neither of the pistons on the inside side of the caliper want to compress at all. Outside pistons slid in easily. May have found something that was already an issue and I just didn't know it yet because I've put a good amount of force behind trying to get them to compress and they will not budge.

Thanks,

Old 07-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Since you mentioned it’s s 2015 with ABS, do not cycle your ignition on. You could have gotten some air in the caliper through the spot the brake fluid was coming out of. If it hasn’t happened yet, it will when you start working more on the caliper, especially with a rebuild.

When you turn your ignition on, the ABS self cycles as a diagnostic, to make sure it’s working. You don’t want to this to happen with air in the line. Bleed before turning the bike back on.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,080 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I guess I misjudged the picture that you post with the caliper in your hand. I thought you had already taken it off and over to a wooden workbench. Forget the part where I told you to push compressed air into the brake line port......... that would be dumb, lol!

Good info on the ABS system! Thanks!

Last edited by MotoJockey; 07-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:09 AM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by HDK
The rebuild kit for the caliper is about $50 I think and pads needed a change anyway. Apparently Harley doesn't sell them.
Where are you getting the rebuild kit?, It includes all the seals? I did that a while back and it was a major pain.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:15 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I’ve worked on motorcycle brakes more times than I can remember. For the future now I suppose, this thing has been way over complicated. 1) Always, I repeat always, loosen the master cylinder cap before compressing the brake pistons inward to relieve the back pressure. Failure to do so can over pressure the system, blow a seal, and cause leaks. Hopefully not, but if fluid is coming from where it’s not supposed to my guess is you’ve experienced this. The system isn’t designed to compensate for reverse pressure. 2) Do not pry with a screw driver or other implement because you run the risk of slipping and gouging something, and you don’t have a good feel for how much pressure you’re applying. Forcefully prying something on a brake system until it gives is always a bad idea especially if the master cylinder cap is still on. If the pistons don’t move freely something is wrong. Go to your local auto parts store and for about $10 buy a set of reverse snap ring pliers. You can buy a special tool for more money, but these work fine. They fit between the brake pads and push them apart without having to pry anything. Plus you can tell if you’re having to use undue force and stop before it gets really expensive.

Last edited by PeteF; 07-21-2018 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flinter (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

There is some good information, and some bad information above for correcting your brake problem. Please get someone that is experienced to help you with this repair. Brakes are not something to take lightly, and it will be too late if you're flying down the road and the brakes don't work when you need them most.

Quick Reply: Made a stupid error I think so have a brake question