Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bars and wrist position

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts
Default Bars and wrist position

Need some recommendations Im a big guy 6'6' 300 lds and fairly wide across the shoulders , Riding an 09 Ultra with stock bars rolled as far forward as they can be up against the fairing , I could live with the hieght but taller would be fine. The problem is my wrist angle my arms are tucked in and my wrists turned out ( clear as mud right) Looking at 12-14" bars but the pull back has me confused i would like something that squares me up a bit better with the wrists
Any suggestions and or part numbers recommendations appreciated

Thanks

Dave

Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

My suggestion has always been to sit in a straight back chair, put your hands where they are comfortable. ..and find those bars. Actually easier than you think it might think. Has always worked for me.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Big Dave (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 12:40 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

You will not find what you are looking for on any internet forum …
I am 6’1” and my brother is 6’6”, but when sitting both appear to be the same height.

First make sure your seating position is correct and comfortable.
Changing bars and then the seating position may necessitate changing the bars again.

I went through this, there is no standard that manufactures use when doing their measurements.
I had spreadsheets calculating the anticipated measurements based on advertised pullback, center-line, height, wrist angle, etc.
There is no standard!

The link mmesa005 provided is a good start, but I disagree with the comments about the tape measurement.
It can be very helpful to know where your comfort zone is compared to what you are using.

You also have to decide if you want to have your hands above the fairing, or protected behind it.

Bottom line, you need to find some different bikes to sit on and test.
Your arm length, torso height, weight, past physical characteristics and medical history all come into play.

Good luck in your search.

The following 2 users liked this post by IKnowNot:
Big Dave (07-22-2018), Veekness (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:54 AM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Have to agree with IKnowNot on that one. I'm betting we both had the same issue. Circulation and nerve compression. Best bars I've found are any kind of apes. Because the wrist angle is quite a bit less than anything else on the market. Ultimately, there is no real standard (although they claim it is) when it comes to manufacturers and their bars. On the upside, they are all pretty close (within an inch or so usually). I went with Khrome Werks 10" bagger bobber ape hangers, but in reality they're closer to 12". You already know the apes will give you the best relief on your wrists. So sit on your bike, close your eyes and put your arms at the height that feels most comfortable and then have somebody take a rough measurement on it. You'll be amazed at the difference. Just remember that if you want to run everything internal, you'll need the wiring extension (can get away with not if you run outside) and you'll definitely need a longer clutch, but the brake line should be fine.

Big Dave (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

You can call John at Wild 1, he can answer your questions.

Big Dave (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Rodzilla71
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Love my 13" Arlen Ness Modular Bagger bars. You can set the pull back to whatever is comfortable for you. And they are easy peazy to wire. Win win.

Attachment 619131

Big Dave (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:04 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Allow me to share with you a tip from when I did my project. Buy some small pvc pipe and some fittings. Cut several different lengths, piece them together (don't glue it) and twist them around until you find what is comfortable, Then I zip tied them to the stock bar and measured the differences so I could tell height and width and things like that. Then found a bar that was as close to a match as I could.
I set the pvc mock up right on top of the frame in front of the tank. There is just enough gap to feed it through. Picture below.
My problem was mostly height and wrist angle. I wanted something taller, perhaps a little wider at the grip, and grip angle straighter than stock.

The following 3 users liked this post by cprhed:
Big Dave (07-22-2018), soulpatch (07-22-2018), __Splat__ (08-10-2022)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
Allow me to share with you a tip from when I did my project. Buy some small pvc pipe and some fittings. Cut several different lengths, piece them together (don't glue it) and twist them around until you find what is comfortable, Then I zip tied them to the stock bar and measured the differences so I could tell height and width and things like that. Then found a bar that was as close to a match as I could.
I set the pvc mock up right on top of the frame in front of the tank. There is just enough gap to feed it through. Picture below.
My problem was mostly height and wrist angle. I wanted something taller, perhaps a little wider at the grip, and grip angle straighter than stock.
Thats a great idea - Thanks for sharing
Your mock up looks like what i am looking for ,would you have a pic and info on your new bars

Dave

Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
Awesome idea! What did you end up getting for bars?

Quick Reply: Bars and wrist position