Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legend AXEO or Ohlins FKC100 or???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by adognharley
Hi HB,

Regarding your comment, "I just ordered the GP 25MM kit from Howard".

Is "GP" the name Howard is using for his Ohlin's up-line "Road and Track" cartridge? Or is this something entirely different?

I'm converting my 41mm fork tubes to 49mm. Then I'll use his triple trees and adjustable "Road and Track" cartridges. I just have not decided on 25mm or 30mm yet. But I do not recall hearing him use the name "GP".

Also, have you any experience, or spoken with anyone regarding the difference in feel or performance between the 25mm vs 30mm cartridge?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
I'm not sure where the expression GP comes from either, but I believe you will find that the 25mm Ohlins are their FKC range, which for our older 41mm forks are the FKC101 and for the later 49mm forks are FKC102. Neither of these are adjustable, although I understand that Howard sets them up to his own special recipe. In the case of your upgrade, going to the expense of 49mm forks, it would be a shame IMHO to not also use the fully adjustable/tunable 30mm cartridges.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 AM
adognharley
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GP expression

Hey G Brown,

From my conversation with Howard the other day, he has two different versions of Ohlins cartridges. There's the FKC 101(25mm) and FKC102(30mm). And these are not adjustable. And these perform very well.

But he also explained, he has a 25mm and a 30 mm "road and track" upline version of the Ohlins cartridge. And these are fully adjustable. I saw online that "Road and Track" is terminology that Ohlins uses . He made it very clear that their valving is far superior to the regular Harley FKC cartridges.

I suspect he has modified the Ohlins "Road and Track" cartridges that go in high performance front ends, to work with our Harleys. But I am just guessing here.

Maybe, the term "GP" refers to the fact that this is a modified version of the cartridge used in GP race bikes. ???

Again, I really don't know.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:09 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

"GP" is for GP Suspensions ... http://www.gpsuspension.com/ ... (the reference is for ones purchased / (modified?) through Howie)

Here's an Install Thread on a 2014 49mm Street Glide New Suspension Time

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-04-2019 at 09:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stopit (09-01-2022)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Hey G Brown,

From my conversation with Howard the other day, he has two different versions of Ohlins cartridges. There's the FKC 101(25mm) and FKC102(30mm). And these are not adjustable. And these perform very well.

But he also explained, he has a 25mm and a 30 mm "road and track" upline version of the Ohlins cartridge. And these are fully adjustable. I saw online that "Road and Track" is terminology that Ohlins uses . He made it very clear that their valving is far superior to the regular Harley FKC cartridges.

I suspect he has modified the Ohlins "Road and Track" cartridges that go in high performance front ends, to work with our Harleys. But I am just guessing here.

Maybe, the term "GP" refers to the fact that this is a modified version of the cartridge used in GP race bikes. ???

Again, I really don't know.
That's interesting stuff. Howard builds Ohlins shocks and cartridges to his own 'recipes' as I call them and has been doing so since before Ohlins discovered the Harley market. Prior to that he built Penske shocks for us, based on racing car shocks. He also started work on a 49mm fork set-up before Harley introduced theirs a few years ago, using the R&T 30mm cartridges, also can supply upside-down forks. He's a versatile chap! Checking the Ohlins website it seems they make 22mm, 25mm and 30mm cartridges.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 AM
adognharley
Intermediate
Cool $$$

I love my bike. But this mid life crises, motorcycle- make over, is getting very expensive

Old 01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
adognharley
Intermediate
Default Thanks Multihdr

Hey Multihdr,

Thanks for the explanation and the link. That answered all my questions.

Now my only concern will be how to adjust them without modifying the nacelle. I know I can cut and plug it. But I really do not want to do that.

Looks like I will have to remove the nacelle for a day of adjusting and then put it back on.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

I love my bike. But this mid life crises, motorcycle- make over, is getting very expensive

The good news is the experience just keeps getting better! The not so good news is it doesn't get any cheaper.....

Old 11-21-2021, 10:48 AM
BriGlide
Cruiser

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Brew61
I have a 2004 Road King and two winters ago I installed the Legend Axeo gas cartridges in the front and the Pro Action shocks in the rear.

It made a big difference on the ride. All the small bumps like railroad crossings and manhole covers disappeared and the large bumps were better. Now the big sharp bumps are still there maybe not as sharp but there is no way your going to get rid of those.

My wife says it was a waste of money but I think that is only because she was expecting that we would have a Cadillac ride so a little bit of a let down for her. But I know because I do most of the riding know and feel a big difference. The stock ride sucked big time and I mean big time. Harley Davidson should be ashamed of their selves for putting on such a shitty suspension.

So what ever you do it will be an improvement over the stock system. It just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Bruce
How isn't that the truth, my 25K Street Glide rode like a log wagon.. Is there not shame Harley Davidson?