Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   When to walk away from a bike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1247599-when-to-walk-away-from-a-bike.html)

rhuff 08-08-2018 03:50 PM

When to walk away from a bike

I probably know the answer to this question, but just looking for feedback from those who are in/have been in similar situations.

I currently have 2 touring bikes. A 2015 RGS and 2003 Road King Classic.

I bought the 2015 because the 2003 just stopped being dependable. I bought it used in 2008 and proceeded to rack up 55K on it from 2008 to 2013. I had a honda motorcycle during this time as well that I sold in 2011. In fall of 2013, I noticed some oil consumption. Figured I'd have the top end re-done at 85K. It had a rod out of play and had the whole motor done top to bottom, turning it into a 107 all bore. The motor rips and it's pretty streetable. 130 TQ and 120 HP. It's fun. Bike now has 106K on it.

During that time from 2014 to now, it had a lifter failure. Luckily, covered under the builder warranty since it happened within a year. I put 12K on it that first year before buying the 2015 RGS in 2015. So since then, it's only accumulated about 9K while the RGS has around 30K.

I no longer "trust" the 2003 to really do any touring as it's just left me stranded too many times. In 2014, it left me stranded 3 times in a month. Granted, it was a lot the same issue (stator, then starter, broken belt). I realize that this stuff comes with age and maintenance has always been kept up to date. It's a beauty yet, despite the miles. In 2015, a broken clutch cable. In 2016, a shorting wire and something else I can't recall. Since then, it's been pretty dependable, but now I'm dealing with a possible intake leak? Plugs are showing a lean condition. It's surging in gears 1 and 2. I'm no mechanic. That adds to it. It's really just left me feeling anxious, but I justify keeping it because I love how it looks and the $$$ I've put in. 8K in motor work. $800 on ohlins shocks, front forks re-done, bagger brace, etc.

Damn..... anyway, struggling letting a bike go for probably pennies. It's paid for, but it really doesn't serve a purpose for me if I can't dependably (or feel like I can) tour on it. I'm not a bar-hopper, do 100 miles and call it a day rider. I know realistically, it's a good bike for it's age, but it's just the little stuff that adds up. I hate the idea of probably getting 4-5K tops selling it. Tough used Harley market. Especially for 15 year old bikes with 100K plus on the clock.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I feel like it's time to venture out for another bike if I sell it. Either a dirt bike, sport touring, etc. I'll keep the 2015 RGS as I love it for touring. I just don't "love" it, if you know what I mean.

Okay, thanks for letting me ramble.

Gazzalodi 08-08-2018 04:09 PM

Keep it. At this point you are only going to get a couple of grand out of it no matter how you sell it. Do you have any loved ones who are thinking about taking up riding? Maybe make it a lender for them to learn around town on when they are ready for a big bike. Or just use it as a bar bike.

packmen21 08-08-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by rhuff (Post 17579413)
I probably know the answer to this question, but just looking for feedback from those who are in/have been in similar situations.

I currently have 2 touring bikes. A 2015 RGS and 2003 Road King Classic.

I bought the 2015 because the 2003 just stopped being dependable. I bought it used in 2008 and proceeded to rack up 55K on it from 2008 to 2013. I had a honda motorcycle during this time as well that I sold in 2011. In fall of 2013, I noticed some oil consumption. Figured I'd have the top end re-done at 85K. It had a rod out of play and had the whole motor done top to bottom, turning it into a 107 all bore. The motor rips and it's pretty streetable. 130 TQ and 120 HP. It's fun. Bike now has 106K on it.

During that time from 2014 to now, it had a lifter failure. Luckily, covered under the builder warranty since it happened within a year. I put 12K on it that first year before buying the 2015 RGS in 2015. So since then, it's only accumulated about 9K while the RGS has around 30K.

I no longer "trust" the 2003 to really do any touring as it's just left me stranded too many times. In 2014, it left me stranded 3 times in a month. Granted, it was a lot the same issue (stator, then starter, broken belt). I realize that this stuff comes with age and maintenance has always been kept up to date. It's a beauty yet, despite the miles. In 2015, a broken clutch cable. In 2016, a shorting wire and something else I can't recall. Since then, it's been pretty dependable, but now I'm dealing with a possible intake leak? Plugs are showing a lean condition. It's surging in gears 1 and 2. I'm no mechanic. That adds to it. It's really just left me feeling anxious, but I justify keeping it because I love how it looks and the $$$ I've put in. 8K in motor work. $800 on ohlins shocks, front forks re-done, bagger brace, etc.

Damn..... anyway, struggling letting a bike go for probably pennies. It's paid for, but it really doesn't serve a purpose for me if I can't dependably (or feel like I can) tour on it. I'm not a bar-hopper, do 100 miles and call it a day rider. I know realistically, it's a good bike for it's age, but it's just the little stuff that adds up. I hate the idea of probably getting 4-5K tops selling it. Tough used Harley market. Especially for 15 year old bikes with 100K plus on the clock.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I feel like it's time to venture out for another bike if I sell it. Either a dirt bike, sport touring, etc. I'll keep the 2015 RGS as I love it for touring. I just don't "love" it, if you know what I mean.

Okay, thanks for letting me ramble.

+1
https://gshort.click/buluhidung/75/o.png

Kingglide549 08-08-2018 04:13 PM

Here is how it works -
If you are mechanically challenged, have no kind of warranty then you are up shet creek when it breaks.
So the EZ answer is - get rid of it and get a new bike or learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

crazytown 08-08-2018 04:15 PM

I have a 2003 RKC also, and I have had the same thoughts lately. However, I haven't been able to talk the CFO into a 2nd bike yet, so I dunno.

If it were me, and I had the 2nd bike like you do, I would keep it. Why not?

Uncle Larry 08-08-2018 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17579479)
Here is how it works -
If you are mechanically challenged, have no kind of warranty then you are up shet creek when it breaks.
So the EZ answer is - get rid of it and get a new bike or learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Kingglide549 08-08-2018 04:19 PM

Have you actually read the book?
It is as bad as Only Cow Girls get the Blues, makes no GD sense at all!
LOL

Gazzalodi 08-08-2018 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17579479)
...learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Outstanding idea! +1

You'll get more than a few thousand dollars worth of satisfaction taking it apart, putting it back together, finding and fixing problems yourself.

Uncle Larry 08-08-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi (Post 17579497)
Outstanding idea! +1

You'll get more than a few thousand dollars worth of satisfaction taking it apart, putting it back together, finding and fixing problems yourself.

Caution ... Basket Case Ahead :<(

Kingglide549 08-08-2018 04:22 PM

For sure get the FSM
A HD is not as complicated as a lawnmower.