When to walk away from a bike - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Reload this Page >

When to walk away from a bike

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to walk away from a bike

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:50 PM
rhuff's Avatar
rhuff
rhuff is offline
Road Warrior
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,597
Thanked 181 Times in 143 Posts
Default When to walk away from a bike

I probably know the answer to this question, but just looking for feedback from those who are in/have been in similar situations.

I currently have 2 touring bikes. A 2015 RGS and 2003 Road King Classic.

I bought the 2015 because the 2003 just stopped being dependable. I bought it used in 2008 and proceeded to rack up 55K on it from 2008 to 2013. I had a honda motorcycle during this time as well that I sold in 2011. In fall of 2013, I noticed some oil consumption. Figured I'd have the top end re-done at 85K. It had a rod out of play and had the whole motor done top to bottom, turning it into a 107 all bore. The motor rips and it's pretty streetable. 130 TQ and 120 HP. It's fun. Bike now has 106K on it.

During that time from 2014 to now, it had a lifter failure. Luckily, covered under the builder warranty since it happened within a year. I put 12K on it that first year before buying the 2015 RGS in 2015. So since then, it's only accumulated about 9K while the RGS has around 30K.

I no longer "trust" the 2003 to really do any touring as it's just left me stranded too many times. In 2014, it left me stranded 3 times in a month. Granted, it was a lot the same issue (stator, then starter, broken belt). I realize that this stuff comes with age and maintenance has always been kept up to date. It's a beauty yet, despite the miles. In 2015, a broken clutch cable. In 2016, a shorting wire and something else I can't recall. Since then, it's been pretty dependable, but now I'm dealing with a possible intake leak? Plugs are showing a lean condition. It's surging in gears 1 and 2. I'm no mechanic. That adds to it. It's really just left me feeling anxious, but I justify keeping it because I love how it looks and the $$$ I've put in. 8K in motor work. $800 on ohlins shocks, front forks re-done, bagger brace, etc.

Damn..... anyway, struggling letting a bike go for probably pennies. It's paid for, but it really doesn't serve a purpose for me if I can't dependably (or feel like I can) tour on it. I'm not a bar-hopper, do 100 miles and call it a day rider. I know realistically, it's a good bike for it's age, but it's just the little stuff that adds up. I hate the idea of probably getting 4-5K tops selling it. Tough used Harley market. Especially for 15 year old bikes with 100K plus on the clock.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I feel like it's time to venture out for another bike if I sell it. Either a dirt bike, sport touring, etc. I'll keep the 2015 RGS as I love it for touring. I just don't "love" it, if you know what I mean.

Okay, thanks for letting me ramble.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Gazzalodi's Avatar
Gazzalodi
Gazzalodi is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: was Vegas now CT
Posts: 848
Thanked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Keep it. At this point you are only going to get a couple of grand out of it no matter how you sell it. Do you have any loved ones who are thinking about taking up riding? Maybe make it a lender for them to learn around town on when they are ready for a big bike. Or just use it as a bar bike.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
packmen21
packmen21 is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: US
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
I probably know the answer to this question, but just looking for feedback from those who are in/have been in similar situations.

I currently have 2 touring bikes. A 2015 RGS and 2003 Road King Classic.

I bought the 2015 because the 2003 just stopped being dependable. I bought it used in 2008 and proceeded to rack up 55K on it from 2008 to 2013. I had a honda motorcycle during this time as well that I sold in 2011. In fall of 2013, I noticed some oil consumption. Figured I'd have the top end re-done at 85K. It had a rod out of play and had the whole motor done top to bottom, turning it into a 107 all bore. The motor rips and it's pretty streetable. 130 TQ and 120 HP. It's fun. Bike now has 106K on it.

During that time from 2014 to now, it had a lifter failure. Luckily, covered under the builder warranty since it happened within a year. I put 12K on it that first year before buying the 2015 RGS in 2015. So since then, it's only accumulated about 9K while the RGS has around 30K.

I no longer "trust" the 2003 to really do any touring as it's just left me stranded too many times. In 2014, it left me stranded 3 times in a month. Granted, it was a lot the same issue (stator, then starter, broken belt). I realize that this stuff comes with age and maintenance has always been kept up to date. It's a beauty yet, despite the miles. In 2015, a broken clutch cable. In 2016, a shorting wire and something else I can't recall. Since then, it's been pretty dependable, but now I'm dealing with a possible intake leak? Plugs are showing a lean condition. It's surging in gears 1 and 2. I'm no mechanic. That adds to it. It's really just left me feeling anxious, but I justify keeping it because I love how it looks and the $$$ I've put in. 8K in motor work. $800 on ohlins shocks, front forks re-done, bagger brace, etc.

Damn..... anyway, struggling letting a bike go for probably pennies. It's paid for, but it really doesn't serve a purpose for me if I can't dependably (or feel like I can) tour on it. I'm not a bar-hopper, do 100 miles and call it a day rider. I know realistically, it's a good bike for it's age, but it's just the little stuff that adds up. I hate the idea of probably getting 4-5K tops selling it. Tough used Harley market. Especially for 15 year old bikes with 100K plus on the clock.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation? I feel like it's time to venture out for another bike if I sell it. Either a dirt bike, sport touring, etc. I'll keep the 2015 RGS as I love it for touring. I just don't "love" it, if you know what I mean.

Okay, thanks for letting me ramble.
+1
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Kingglide549's Avatar
Kingglide549
Kingglide549 is online now
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Viet Vet, crossroads
Posts: 2,033
Thanked 363 Times in 274 Posts
Default

Here is how it works -
If you are mechanically challenged, have no kind of warranty then you are up shet creek when it breaks.
So the EZ answer is - get rid of it and get a new bike or learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingglide549 For This Useful Post:
r-bar-j (08-14-2018)
  #5  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:15 PM
crazytown's Avatar
crazytown
crazytown is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 457
Thanked 60 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I have a 2003 RKC also, and I have had the same thoughts lately. However, I haven't been able to talk the CFO into a 2nd bike yet, so I dunno.

If it were me, and I had the 2nd bike like you do, I would keep it. Why not?
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Uncle Larry's Avatar
Uncle Larry
Uncle Larry is offline
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southeast Michigan 15 Minutes East Of Hell
Posts: 100,354
Thanked 3,215 Times in 2,176 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 View Post
Here is how it works -
If you are mechanically challenged, have no kind of warranty then you are up shet creek when it breaks.
So the EZ answer is - get rid of it and get a new bike or learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
Amazon Amazon
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Kingglide549's Avatar
Kingglide549
Kingglide549 is online now
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Viet Vet, crossroads
Posts: 2,033
Thanked 363 Times in 274 Posts
Default

Have you actually read the book?
It is as bad as Only Cow Girls get the Blues, makes no GD sense at all!
LOL
 
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kingglide549 For This Useful Post:
Dan89FLSTC (08-11-2018), rhuff (08-08-2018)
  #8  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Gazzalodi's Avatar
Gazzalodi
Gazzalodi is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: was Vegas now CT
Posts: 848
Thanked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 View Post
...learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
Outstanding idea! +1

You'll get more than a few thousand dollars worth of satisfaction taking it apart, putting it back together, finding and fixing problems yourself.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Uncle Larry's Avatar
Uncle Larry
Uncle Larry is offline
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southeast Michigan 15 Minutes East Of Hell
Posts: 100,354
Thanked 3,215 Times in 2,176 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gazzalodi View Post
Outstanding idea! +1

You'll get more than a few thousand dollars worth of satisfaction taking it apart, putting it back together, finding and fixing problems yourself.
Caution ... Basket Case Ahead :<(
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Kingglide549's Avatar
Kingglide549
Kingglide549 is online now
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Viet Vet, crossroads
Posts: 2,033
Thanked 363 Times in 274 Posts
Default

For sure get the FSM
A HD is not as complicated as a lawnmower.
 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: