Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Tire Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 AM
MikeySom
Road Captain

Received 345 Likes on 150 Posts

I do my own tires all the time I break the beads with C-clamps peal the tires off and on with tire bars and balance with beads it does help if you have someone to help you the last tires i did on my ultra my wife helped with holding a bar while i get a grip with an other.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:45 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

tire irons, block of wood/bottle jack under my truck trailer hitch to break the bead.
pretty easy

Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I use a NoMar classic on a receiver hitch mount. I do it because I don't trust, or pay for anyone else's work. Also, I don't operate on anyone else's time frame.

It's also a great time to clean and wax those wheels, check your brakes and check and replace bearings as needed. I have a static balance stand also but rarely use it anymore, I use Ride On nowadays.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

I used these: Tire irons, but pretty nice ones. They also serve as a bead breaker. Worked well, for as infrequently as I work on tires.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...e-bead-breaker

Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,241 Likes on 808 Posts

I’ve used the zip tie technique quite successfully on dirt bike tires and others with flexy sidewalls that I could bring together. It works. Could not do it with the stiff harley tires.

i suck with irons. But...I’ve never used really good irons or spoons. I’ve always used cheap ones that are quite thick, or screwdrivers. All of which work, but poorly. Good spoons aren’t cheap. Nor is a good bead locker. Someday though.

i have, but have not yet used, the motorcycle attachment for my harbor freight tire changer.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Picked up one of these via Craigslist.. works great!

http://www.wikco.biz/mc110.200.htm
interesting, have not seen that one before. Some are so $$$ its prohibitive to order. How many times have you used it? Any tips/tricks? How long have they been in business? I always fear something breaking and not being able to get a part to fix it.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

IF, anything broke on that you would just weld a better part back on.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Dynabeads are a bad idea.
https://rideapart.com/articles/dyna-...tire-snake-oil

Plus they tend to wear away the inner most (aka the air-tight) layer of the tire as the spin.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Youtube it, you will find a couple interesting tricks.
I have not ever tried the wire tie idea-but it looks promising too.
Depending on which wheels I am working on I do mine the old way.
Tire irons.
+100 All the Youtube vids show how 'easy' it is to break a tire bead with a teabag and a table knife....good luck w/ that. Sidewall is so hard, everything I've tried....I'd consider purchasing a formal beadbreaker before sitting in the lawn for an hour again sweating and swearing with no results.

Won't hook anything to my truck hitch either (lots of vids on that), f##king that up changing a cycle tire would give me one more issue to fix.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:00 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I’ve used the zip tie technique quite successfully on dirt bike tires and others with flexy sidewalls that I could bring together. It works. Could not do it with the stiff harley tires.

i suck with irons. But...I’ve never used really good irons or spoons. I’ve always used cheap ones that are quite thick, or screwdrivers. All of which work, but poorly. Good spoons aren’t cheap. Nor is a good bead locker. Someday though.

i have, but have not yet used, the motorcycle attachment for my harbor freight tire changer.
stiff sidewall....most of them videos are dirtbike etc, and the tire is super squishy - easy on easy off. HD tire sidewalls not so much.

Quick Reply: DIY Tire Mounting