Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Tire Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Mikhailov
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Never had an issue with beads. They are easier to put in the tire if you insert with a folded sheet of paper, pour down the crease, and not through the valve stem. Don't get any tire/bead lube inside the tire with them though or they will clump.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,252 Likes on 1,550 Posts

I have the NoMar Classic with the pedestal mount and the hitch mount. I also have their balancer. I use dyna beads on tubed tires and wheel weights on tubeless. The biggest benefit is convenience. I changed a tire last night ... when all the HD dealers and indies were home eating supper and getting ready for bed. It doesn't take long for it to pay for itself if that's a priority for you. Like one fella said, the beer fridge stays stocked with all the donations from helping out friends. The balancer also doubles as a truing stand for relacing spoked wheels.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 AM
TN_Biker
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it actually come with the right size center pole? I got a HF one with m/c attachment and the center pole is way larger than my bearings - I'll modify it, haven't even mounted it to the floor yet.

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Picked up one of these via Craigslist.. works great!

http://www.wikco.biz/mc110.200.htm

Old 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
TN_Biker
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

My local guy charges me 40 too.

Originally Posted by run1fsr
I buy my tires online, then pull the wheels and take them to local independent shop. Costs $40 per wheel to remove old tire, install new and balance. I've thought about trying it myself but would not be able to properly balance.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:54 AM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Was able to pick up a lightly used HF changer w/ the motorcycle attachment for $50. Tires, FOBO, some kind of balancing media and some spoons over the next couple of months and I'm in for my first DIY tire change. Was considering Dyna Beads at first, but may give Ride-on a try instead.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:36 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrankin
Was able to pick up a lightly used HF changer w/ the motorcycle attachment for $50. Tires, FOBO, some kind of balancing media and some spoons over the next couple of months and I'm in for my first DIY tire change. Was considering Dyna Beads at first, but may give Ride-on a try instead.
Yeah.... I wish I had installed a FOBO at the time, but there is only so much money in the bank.
I do, however, deeply regret not having purchased 90° valve stems.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:39 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,206 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_Biker
Does it actually come with the right size center pole? I got a HF one with m/c attachment and the center pole is way larger than my bearings - I'll modify it, haven't even mounted it to the floor yet.
For my Harbor Freight motorcycle tire adapter I had a fellow put 1 inch blocks under the wheel clamps. So, I don't use the center stem to go through the tire. But it is useful as a leverage point for the tire rod.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:47 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Nope, just have the man do it for a $20.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:57 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
This is a pretty good explanation from another forum:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/tires/6...tml#post557475

Plus I have seen what comes out of a tire with dynabeads.
The black stuff was formerly an integral part of a tire...
(not my pics)

The bottom line is you can do what you want with your bike and tire, but they will never be in my scoot's shoes.
I have replaced many a car/truck/tractor/motorcycle tire both with and without machines. And that debris was either in the tire prior (the big *****), or are micro shavings from the bead upon install, likely with a machine. That debris has jack **** to do with balancing beads. I have used them for several hundred thousand miles on many bikes, all of which I changed my own tires, and not once was there any debris like that, nor did I have a pressure holding issue (that wasn't puncture related) or a structural failure.

I highly doubt that the source of those photos, can provide internal pictures of the tire, of the tire bead before install and after removal.

The following users liked this post:
Lakerat (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 07:59 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrankin
Please forgive my ignorance but what is FOBO? I know as soon as someone answers I will have a V8 moment.

Quick Reply: DIY Tire Mounting