Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Opinions and reviews on the FLH oil coolers. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1247706-opinions-and-reviews-on-the-flh-oil-coolers.html)

Anthony C 08-09-2018 10:26 AM

Opinions and reviews on the FLH oil coolers.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...1464bf0376.png
Thinking of buying a HTTMToil cooler for my 09 Street Glide. I’m looking at one on Amazaon. Any in put would be helpful. This particular oil cooler has dual fans, in mounts horizontally below the voltage regular. 220 CFM. Does anyone have anything like this? Thanking you in advance,

Anthony C

Kingglide549 08-09-2018 10:38 AM

Absolutely none are worth anything unless mounted in the wind, and then they do very little as measured in efficiency.(Measuring temp in and temp out)
Most stick them behind the front fender in the shadow of air flow.
No good.
Oil is not a very good medium for cooling as it takes a lot of it to do it ...but if you do it right is will help a little.
I mounted mine outside of dwn tube and on the bottom of the crash bar.
It is hardly noticeable

The other things to consider with oil cooling is line size and the boundary layer of oil inside.
1/4 and 3/8 inch line is almost useless once the boundary layer sets up inhibiting oil flow and the thermal conductivity.
I think it would be more efficient to have an oil cooler on each side if you really want to dissipate heat.
The boundary layer would be less restrictive for one thing and two coolers has to be more area to exchange then one .

xcbullet 08-09-2018 07:29 PM

Looks like a copy of ultra cooler that I have. Makes a big difference even behind the tire.

Joe from So Cal 08-09-2018 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17581440)
Absolutely none are worth anything unless mounted in the wind, and then they do very little as measured in efficiency.(Measuring temp in and temp out)
Most stick them behind the front fender in the shadow of air flow.
No good.
Oil is not a very good medium for cooling as it takes a lot of it to do it ...but if you do it right is will help a little.
I mounted mine outside of dwn tube and on the bottom of the crash bar.
It is hardly noticeable

The other things to consider with oil cooling is line size and the boundary layer of oil inside.
1/4 and 3/8 inch line is almost useless once the boundary layer sets up inhibiting oil flow and the thermal conductivity.
I think it would be more efficient to have an oil cooler on each side if you really want to dissipate heat.
The boundary layer would be less restrictive for one thing and two coolers has to be more area to exchange then one .

What you said about a cooler being in the wind makes a lot of sense. I picked up a set of coolers from an Aprila 1000 and I'm working out a way to reliably mount them inside my engine guards. Lots of wind and they will not impede air flow over the motor.

The biggest challenge is going to be how to mount them securely so they don't fall off, and yet look good enough and not like some hayseed hack didn't cobble them onto the bike.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...087ade91c8.jpg

bklynbob 08-10-2018 12:57 AM

Jagg has a crashbar mount if you’re so inclined.

Kingglide549 08-10-2018 05:16 AM

If you want to do some experimenting?
Take clear hose the larger diameter the better.
You fasten it where you think, is a good place for the cooler.
It is aimed into the wind.
the angle is important to remember as your cooler needs to represent that in the end. (horizontal is probably best)
Make sure it comes horizontally l back a couple inches and whatever you choose for that distance remember it.
as you will repeat this a couple times.
After it comes back a couple inches put a downward "U" in it like what is under your sink.
This "U" will go dwn about 6 inches then back up.
Fill the "U" with food coloring.
Put some numbers about every 1/2 inch up the "U"
Go for a ride monitor the results of how hight the water is pushed at the different location where you might put the cooler.
The higher the number the H2O is pushed, the better the place for you cooler as that represents the best airflow.
Use a speed that is you avg for you, as that will also change the known pressure areas.

Tarkus60 08-10-2018 07:02 AM

My 02 oil temp dropped 15 to 20 degrees with a HD cooler.....

Joe from So Cal 08-10-2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by bklynbob (Post 17583218)
Jagg has a crashbar mount if you’re so inclined.

I’ll take a look when I get home today but because I’m building a bastardized system I’m not expecting any easy fitment.

Anthony C 08-10-2018 04:17 PM

Hd cooler

Originally Posted by Tarkus60 (Post 17583479)
My 02 oil temp dropped 15 to 20 degrees with a HD cooler.....

Where is your cooler mounted? Is it fan assisted? Very curious. Thanks in advance

Anthony C

Kingglide549 08-10-2018 05:51 PM

You can get a 10 deg drop just running the oil through the crash bar.
But is it a bit of work to clean it all out correctly so you do not destroy the engine with FOD.