Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best inner primary bearing replacement? & oil seal inner shifter shaft (behind primary)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts
Default best inner primary bearing replacement? & oil seal inner shifter shaft (behind primary)

2012 Ultra Classic, 103 motor, stock, 50k miles.

"Might" be pulling entire primary in upcoming weeks (TBD, still working on it)

1) Wondered what the 'best' inner primary bearing replacement is? Is HD's bearing ok to go w/ now? (and the seal)
It was replaced at 23k under warranty (different issue they had the primary off so paperwork states it was replaced), but if I'm in there kinda thing.....

2) Also, how does one definitively know if they have an oil seal leak on the inner shaft (behind primary)? I know this is a common 'leak' area on many bikes & is a lot of work to fix for a tiny seal. I need to reinspect but it looks like there is oil residue around mine.

Input appreciated.

Edit: also wondering at 50k if there's a point to replacing the stator while in there or even a belt. These are secondary of course.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:03 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,266 Posts

1. I don't know what bearing is better than the HD one but you might try poking around the internet. If you pull the primary and the bearing appears to roll smoothly and doesn't have any metal flakes it should be ok. I would replace that seal just because. It's not expensive. Funny you would have a bad bearing at only 23k miles.

2. Once you pull the inner primary off, it should be sort of obvious if any seals are leaking. The shifter shaft seal is by itself so it will be obvious. I just did all the trans seals on my EVO. Yours may or may not be the same. There is a shifter shaft seal. You pull it by drilling a small hole for a sheet metal screw then screwing it in and pull out with pliers. Replacement to a specific depth is done with a driver like from Georges garage. The transmission mainshaft seal goes in and out the same way with it's own special seal driver. I'd be willing to bet your trans is a little different from here on out though. Mine has a quad seal which is under the inner primary bearing inner race. You have to pull that off to get to the spacer. There is also a very tiny seal called the 5th gear mainshaft seal that is between the main drive gear and the mainshaft. You'll know what's leaking when you take off the inner primary. Getting the 5th gear mainshaft seal off entails tapping all the way around it with a small screwdriver and driving it inward. Installation requires a special seal driver (can you hear the cash register ringing yet)?

Good luck. Remember, my example is for an EVO. A twin cam might be different for the last two seals but the shifter shaft seal looks exactly the same.

carl

The following users liked this post:
F150HD (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:07 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

had two hd bearings fail ,went with a solid bearing from baker(3k on it so far but if it goes 60k id be impressed).

replaced that shiftier seal twice (HD) and it was bone dry just felt like replacing it...maybe 07's never leaked?

F150HD (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:43 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

50K Id replace that stator since you aready in there. Preferably with a Cycle Electric.

F150HD (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:05 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I have the Baker High Torque bearing in there and happy with it so far.......my inner race had walked in and damaged the seal.

F150HD (08-13-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:14 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

The shift shaft seal if do some searches some have replaced and still have leaks after replacement. Be very careful when remove old seal as you don't won't to scratch outside bore or nice shaft. Once apart check for lateral excessive lateral movement with shaft as may be something more than just seal. Several have recommended using hi temp rtv sealant on OD of new seal. Good luck!

F150HD (08-13-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

You could also use these cometic C9259 shift seals that have a double lip.

Didn't you just have this opened up recently to install a compensator?

Old 08-13-2018, 09:58 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by carlgrover
1. I don't know what bearing is better than the HD one but you might try poking around the internet. If you pull the primary and the bearing appears to roll smoothly and doesn't have any metal flakes it should be ok. I would replace that seal just because. It's not expensive. Funny you would have a bad bearing at only 23k miles.

2. Once you pull the inner primary off, it should be sort of obvious if any seals are leaking. The shifter shaft seal is by itself so it will be obvious. I just did all the trans seals on my EVO. Yours may or may not be the same. There is a shifter shaft seal. You pull it by drilling a small hole for a sheet metal screw then screwing it in and pull out with pliers. Replacement to a specific depth is done with a driver like from Georges garage. The transmission mainshaft seal goes in and out the same way with it's own special seal driver. I'd be willing to bet your trans is a little different from here on out though. Mine has a quad seal which is under the inner primary bearing inner race. You have to pull that off to get to the spacer. There is also a very tiny seal called the 5th gear mainshaft seal that is between the main drive gear and the mainshaft. You'll know what's leaking when you take off the inner primary. Getting the 5th gear mainshaft seal off entails tapping all the way around it with a small screwdriver and driving it inward. Installation requires a special seal driver (can you hear the cash register ringing yet)?

Good luck. Remember, my example is for an EVO. A twin cam might be different for the last two seals but the shifter shaft seal looks exactly the same.

carl
Thanks. Bearing- I just figured if I had the inner primary off, why not? bearings are cheap. Though also don't know where I'd get it pressed in at.

Seals....pic in photo #1 is the seal I was referring to, on Twin Cams its often an issue.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:59 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
had two hd bearings fail ,went with a solid bearing from baker(3k on it so far but if it goes 60k id be impressed).

replaced that shiftier seal twice (HD) and it was bone dry just felt like replacing it...maybe 07's never leaked?
Thanks. I knew Baker had them...just wondered.

Where did you get it pressed in at? Surprisingly not a lot of Indie shops near me. Supposed I could call one and ask where they get it done.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by propflux01
50K Id replace that stator since you aready in there. Preferably with a Cycle Electric.
Thanks. That was the brand at the top of the list thats for sure. I'd have to guess its simple plug and play once I remove the entire primary?

Quick Reply: best inner primary bearing replacement? & oil seal inner shifter shaft (behind primary)