Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of moving to a touring bike.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM
TA5406
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '02 Softail since new, moved to an Electra glide a couple months ago. Completely different ride. Like most, I wish I would have made the switch years ago. I have severe degenerative disc which made me not want to ride at all cause of the pain, now it's bad only when I hit a bad pothole.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:40 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by tas_todd
Looks like a common thread is...everyone is good with their switch to a touring platform. lol The good thing now days is, there are more and more aftermarket companies out there that make these baggers have a since of coolness. No longer does a dresser have to look like a Shriners parade bike, unless you're into that sort of thing. lol
Well you got that right, my 07 Road King Classic has a coolness factor about it, "at least in my eyes it does."

Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Switched from an stage one 1200 Iron to an SGS. “Regret it” is not something I think, but I do miss the easy manuverability and sportiness of the Iron. The SGS is so much better though. The power. The radio, the comfort, being able to carry stuff. I can ride forever on th SGS, so I don’t look back. Plus it’s so badass in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I did the opposite...went from Sportster to FLHX to Dyna...

Either way, do what makes "you" feel good!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 PM
boomer16
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
If you ride long distance there is no substitute. The Road Glide is a mile eating machine. I have ridden as far as 954 miles in a day on it and I got off feeling pretty good. I did more 1259 mile days on my 07 SG than I can count. I owned a house in Naples Florida and my other is in Pittsburgh. I felt pretty beat up after that trip. 900 miles I wanted off the SG. Prior to the SG I owned a Suzuki C50 and it was a 250 mile a day bike. The Rushmore bikes are nice for long distance riding. If you want a reliable long distance machine don't modify other than creature comforts. Knock on wood but my 16RG has been dead reliable. The 07SG was a big PITA.
Amen on the Road Glide. I have put 40k on mine and loved every mile. No bike like it. Just eats the miles in comfort.

The following users liked this post:
FX4 (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Nightventure
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my 2018 road king today. I had a 2011 softail deluxe and wow the difference is amazing. Rides so much better. Took a 200 mile ride straight off the dealer lot. Just had so much fun on it. I wish I had done this earlier.
2018 road king.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

You won't regret the upgrade but coming off a lighter smaller bike I do suggest you road test a Road King then maybe a SG or RG respectively to get a feel for where you would be more comfortable and how many gadgets you need to play with. The RK is a nice medium point to this, all the benefits and no fluff to distract you.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by tas_todd
Like the title says, I'm contemplating a move. Currently have a 13 Fatboy Lo, which I like a lot! Between some neck and lower back issues, I'm thinking this will be a better fit for me. Wanting to get into more long distant rides also. Plan on keeping it 14-16 model years. Anyone make this move and regret it? I have to start research into bars pipes etc...
Loved my 05 Fatboy, great motorcycle. Low center of gravity, handled really well. Easy to fix as it was stripped down so easy to get to parts. At 100k it was traded in while still in good order. Only have baggers now.

Fatboy- though I toured on it (Glacier, Smokys etc), it was hard to find luggage for it. HD stuff was tiny, aftermarket took monkey business to mount them etc....now w/ a bagger its so easy, I'll never go back.

Granted, I felt more cramped on a touring bike....I think the Softail frame allowed me to stretch out more.

If you plan to travel, touring bike is way to go.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You won't regret the upgrade but coming off a lighter smaller bike I do suggest you road test a Road King then maybe a SG or RG respectively to get a feel for where you would be more comfortable and how many gadgets you need to play with. The RK is a nice medium point to this, all the benefits and no fluff to distract you.
While I agree with what you saying because I own a road king as well I also have and do own a bat wing bike and they are different machines. I hate being cliche about this but you really should ride all 3 types, the king, a bat wing and a road glide. The road king does not feel all that big and has a certain openness about it. I have taken long trips on them. The fairing bikes offer more protection from not just the wind but from the cold which when you're on road trips can make a difference.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Bob_Loblaw
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightventure
I picked up my 2018 road king today. I had a 2011 softail deluxe and wow the difference is amazing. Rides so much better. Took a 200 mile ride straight off the dealer lot. Just had so much fun on it. I wish I had done this earlier.
2018 road king.
Congratulations! That is one fine motorcycle! Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: thinking of moving to a touring bike.