Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance claim, never have I ever heard of this.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:28 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Do you feel like filing a claim against your insurance, minus your deductible, is worth it for one saddlebag?

Old 08-20-2018, 05:31 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Bill your insurance company the 2 hours...
It is a claim after all.
Two of the three dealers local to me wanted me to wait six weeks before they could come and pick it up.
The one that was 100 miles away was just about ready to come and get it when my regular wrench said he was free to do the estimate game .
My wrench wasnt in when I called and good thing I had call waiting so he could get through to me .
Rob

The following users liked this post:
PFWiz (08-28-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

When I lost my left saddle bag, I was quoted 825.00 for the bag painted my bikes color ready to go. As for insurance claims, the deductible was 500 so I just bought new stretched bags and called it a day. But, i have had and have heard that dealers charge for getting the quote. I was told it was the time involved and why would the dealer take the hit.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 860 Likes on 482 Posts

It's been normal around here for a couple decades that bike dealers charge for estimates. Two hours sounds extreme though! Insurance will reimburse the cost as part of the claim.

Good luck...

Old 08-20-2018, 06:13 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

When I totaled my last Street Glide in early 2017, the dealer I took it to charged a fee for the estimate. The insurance company picked up the tab. I'm ok with it...it took them time to do it.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:40 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,409 Likes on 4,015 Posts

Around here, they charge you one or two hours (depending on damage) for a collision estimate, but then waive the estimate fee if you have them do the repair.

I had a lady hit me on my '03 Heritage. Minor stuff, but I believed the first dealer didn't know what they were talking about, based on their estimate. I paid their fee and took my bike to another shop. Their estimate was little lower, but was far more accurate in my eyes.

When my Insurance company asked where the bike went, I explained that after hearing what they said, I believed the first place was incompetent and went elsewhere. I didn't even ask, but they told me to send them the first shops estimate bill, and they reimbursed me for it..!

Old 08-20-2018, 07:33 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Hmmmmm, I guess that standard opperating procedure then.

I called another dealer (about an hour away) and they said the will charge me 1 hour, and include it on my estimate to help cover the deductible. I think he said the rate is $90/hr.

I looked up parts on Ronnie’s, looks like parts alone are $800 and I assume there will be labor added to assemble. They will need to get me an unpainted bag, and a quote to paint it since my color is not available in Rushmore bags. (Hope that’s not an issue with State Farm.

When I painted the bags, the paint was $500. I have some base left, but no candy or clear.

i will paint myself, hopefully that will cover the dedudacable.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Find a local approved indy shop and give them the business screw the dealers, nowhere is it written it has to be from a dealer.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

My dealer charged $150 and I passed that cost on to the kids insurance. I think they know that a lot of us will just order the parts and bolt them on ourself and keep the labor cost for our pocket....It payed me pretty well to do the work myself.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:25 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1

Long story short, lost a saddlebag off my wife’s bike on I70 coming back from Sturgis. Have a bagertail kit with Rushmore bags.

My my insurance company needs an estimate, ok, that’s pretty normal, but the 4 dealers I called want to charge me 2 hours labor to do the estimate.

I never filed an insurance claim for a bike, but I can’t believe that this is normal. WOW! I simply can’t wrap my head around this. Makes me wonder if it’s a Harley dealer thing, or if all motorcycle dealers do this. Also makes me wonder if H-D is the brand to stick with on my next go around.

Is this normal for H-D dealers?
You might want to check with your state insurance commission or whatever agency is responsible for insurance. As far as I know, it is your insurance companies problem to figure out the cost of the repair, NOT yours. They are just trying to get you to do THEIR job.

The dealers are likely wanting to charge you because the can pretty well figure that you are going to take the insurance company check, find a used bag, have it painted and install it yourself, OR some other version of they will NEVER get any money for the time it takes for them to research all the parts and write you an estimate.

YMMV

Lon

Quick Reply: Insurance claim, never have I ever heard of this.