Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking Air Wing Rack LED

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Lex.08
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking Air Wing Rack LED

Joined a while ago, great site, very helpful and now I could use some help. First time posting.

I have an' 08 Ultra Classic with blue Dakota Digital gauges. Six months ago I installed the HD Air Wing Rack LED light kit on my tour pack luggage rack. For the most part an easy install, had to purchase a crimp tool for the plug but over all plug and play with provided Y cable adapter. Third brake light works with my regular brake light set up with standard bulbs. Been riding the bike, have taken some trips everything normal. A few weeks ago went for a ride with my wife, got home in the dark and parked the bike. We were hanging outside for a while and my wife asks whats up with the blinking red light, it was the LED air wing light. I'll cut to the chase. When I shut the bike off the approx 30 seconds later and then every 30 seconds the air wing LED light blink 3 times, not full on bright but 3 times every 30 seconds. Started the bike, moved it to the shed, shut her down, again every 30 seconds 3 blinks. Didn't stay long to see how long the lights blinked it was l;ate had an early morning. Put the battery on trickle and went to be.

Last week I take an afternoon ride with a friend, a couple local bar hop stops, and i noticed my battery dropping to 8.9 when starting. When cruising the volts are anywhere between 13.6-13.8. Final stop of the day dark outside sitting with buddies at a bonfire and i notice the 3 blink every 30 seconds. I was at the bonfire for at least 20 min and still 3 blink.

Now I'm thinking the battery is shot and this is why the light blinks? Then I think its an isolated light that is activated by the brake switch so there is no way it should blink.

After that I checked the battery and it is weak. Two year old HD battery didn't last very long. Thanks to the HD forum I saved a few bucks and I replaced it with a Big Crank! Replaced it yesterday, left it on trickle over night for a full charge and bike started up nicely today. And then then the friggen air wing LED blinked 3 times 30 seconds..3 blinks. I went back 35 minutes later and still blinking.

I know i could pull the plug but i like the visibility and but its bugging the crap out of me.

Has anyone experienced what I'm going through?

Sorry for the long story, just wanted to give a back round and as much info as possible.

Any advice and help appreciated.
Lex

Old 09-21-2018, 05:15 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Sounds like it may be hooked to the security system.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:57 AM
Lex.08
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that might be the case but when the security system sets the turn signals blink twice and out. The key blinks on the spedo gauge when alarm is set.