Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone through drive belt advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 PM
bigal190
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exact issue, and getting ready for a 700 mile ride for this weekend. Looking at these pictures, what do you think?

Thanks.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:48 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by bigal190

I have the same exact issue, and getting ready for a 700 mile ride for this weekend. Looking at these pictures, what do you think?

Thanks.

I hate to split straws....but you don't have the "same exact issue".....

Your belt is compromised near the edge, his is almost dead center.... That is a big difference... With the belt cut near the edge, there is a higher probability that your damage will migrate to the edge, causing a tear/split/break of the belt...

It's kind of like a tire.... shops will plug/patch a tire as long as the hole is in the center of the tread. If it's near the shoulder of the tire or in the sidewall.... they won't touch it...

If you're not riding hard, I believe you probably could make your trip on that belt..... but if it was me, I'd replace your belt sooner, rather than later....!

PS- Look at the last pic in post #1... that page from the manual says you should replace your belt...

Last edited by hattitude; 10-10-2018 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (10-16-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 08:52 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

I might ride it locally, but I'd be buying the parts to replace and setting aside the time to install them.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Thanks.
Two observations to make here. One is I agree with hattitude that your wound is not the same. Being near the edge of the belt like that, rather than close to the centre, you are on borrowed time as the belt is more likely to give way on that edge. You also seem to have the offending item still stuck in the belt, which is not wise IMHO. Second comment is you have damage on the back of the belt, as if it has been rubbing against something. That also needs to be investigated and sorted out, before replacement. A gentle 700 miles may be quite practical, but a new belt pdq would be very sensible!

Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks.
Yep, it is a bugger when you have a ride on, and you find a stone in your belt....
As mentioned, you have it closer to the edge , and a bigger stone// damage, than what I had... Re your ride, it is a bit like,, "your dammed if you do,, or your dammed if you don't "....
I did go for my 2000km ride last weekend with my stone damaged belt, (see first post) .. There was no change to the damaged area . In actual fact , it was hard to see the damaged area when I checked it on the ride.
I have the new belt and parts for the change over,, but have decided to replace belt next tire change , which is in approx 5000km if there is no change to belt damage...

Back to your predicament ,,, I would get the stone out .. Then check if there is any damage closer to the edge.. Looks like it will be at the limits of what it says in manual....
On a side note,,, there seems to be some chafing along the top side edge of belt , (below stone damage)… Just seems out of place....
Looks like its your call , unless you can replace belt before the weekend .. If it does your head in thinking about it,, just remember , there will be other rides and weekends away.....

Last edited by markwolula; 10-11-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Just curious, have either of the bikes shown had the belt guard removed and not replaced? Chance can do amazing and almost unbelievable things, but the belt guard seems to fit very closely and should keep the stones out of the belt.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by btsom
Just curious, have either of the bikes shown had the belt guard removed and not replaced? Chance can do amazing and almost unbelievable things, but the belt guard seems to fit very closely and should keep the stones out of the belt.
Good question. I've owned five belt drive bikes, all with their stock guards, but my one experience of stone damage was with all the guards in place.

By contrast a friend bought a new Buell Firebolt when they were first introduced, rode it 30 miles home from the dealer and promptly took those ugly (expletives deleted) guards off. Later the same day he rode the few miles over to show it off - and had picked up a large stone that pierced his belt. All on the day he bought his bike!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Belt guards are on my bike.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:16 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,247 Likes on 811 Posts

I'll presume there's really no way you can get the belt replaced tonight or tomorrow, so I'd ride it. But, I'd be gentle with my throttle hand. Not slow, just gentle. No banging shifts, no burn outs. I'd probably use a white paint pen to mark the edge of the belt so I could easily observe the spot to keep an eye on it.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:43 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
My bike , (original poster... No, belt guard has never been removed or replaced ….

Quick Reply: Stone through drive belt advice