Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help with unexplained wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

New tires and in proper pressures were your problem you need to double check all work done by any mechanic mistakes are made all the time i make them show me tire pressures and oil levels and go over there work prior to taking the bike back. They dont like it but its to bad once i ride off there lot its my problem is so check there work good.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer
Sorry of this has already been mentioned, but use a quality pressure gauge. Those cheap ones at the register at diacount stores arent even close to accurate. Its one of those you'll buy once and use a lifetime. Buy quality. Buy once, cry once.

This! A $5 dollar tire gauge doesn't cut it. You can get an accurate one for $30-$50 dollars, that ill give many years of service.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 03:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nytryder
This! A $5 dollar tire gauge doesn't cut it.
Not so! A cheap guage will tell you if you have roughly 40psi or only around 20psi. A decent gauge will plainly be more useful in setting the correct pressure but isn't essential in this situation if, as many of us suspect, pressure was way below what it should be.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Markroadking
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Just an update on the mystery that is still a mystery. I was able to speak with the tech last week and explain what was going on. He went back through the bike this week (wheel bearings, motor mounts, axel, swing arm bushing, etc., etc. and yes tire pressure) and he found nothing abnormal. I picked the bike up today and it rides normal. Just checked the pressure and got 36.5 in the rear and 33 in the front. The gauge that I have is a digital one that I bought a few years ago at a local auto parts store and assume that it is accurate, but thought I would go get another today to keep on the bike and check it against it. The only thing I can come up with is that it somehow it was the tires. Now I'm not sure how they can react like they assumably did after over 100 miles on them, but thats all I can figure out at this point. My plans are to ride as much as possible on Sunday and see if any issues arise.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Those pressures sound low to me. I have an earlier bike than yours, but mine should be a little higher, how do those figures compare with your owners manual?

Old 10-19-2018, 04:07 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

OP... Stop riding until you learn more about pre-Ride basics. You drive a car but you ride a motorcycle. Part of riding is understanding what for lack of better terms is going on between your legs.

Drive Belt, Tires, Lubricants (Engine, Trans, and Primary), Wheel Bearings, Suspension components, front end components, brakes, electrical.... these are all things you need to know are good to go and that you’re safe to ride. If you need someone else to tell you the basics are good then stick to four wheels.

Not trying to be an a$$ just trying to save yours.

Read the manual and understand it... If you’re unsure about something jump on the forums and get educated. If one of these old bikers gives you advice you should take it! Just might save your life.

Keep the rubber side down!

Old 10-20-2018, 08:45 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Markroadking
He went back through the bike this week (wheel bearings, motor mounts, axel, swing arm bushing, etc., etc. and yes tire pressure) and he found nothing abnormal. I picked the bike up today and it rides normal. Just checked the pressure and got 36.5 in the rear and 33 in the front.
if that was the pressure in the tires when the tech checked it, then he isn't worth much. that pressure is low in the front. (i keep mine at 38/38). presumably, you got hd tires since you got them from the dealer. if not, then these pressures won't apply, but don't go above the max pressure on the sidewall of the tire.