Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on my 1991 flhtc the tail light bulb is a single filament. so how can it be a running light and a turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 PM
ericschellh
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx rode today and all the bikes don't have running lights in the rear. One of them things, you see it a million times but then say, huh?

Old 10-14-2018, 06:31 PM
ericschellh
2nd Gear

Yes... I'm sayin right here that I put LED bulbs in my bike and they made the lights all work totally wacked out. Just nothing worked the same two times in a row. Turn work front not back. Then they would. Almost comical if it was't my bike.That is why I questioned the amber running lights that are on in the front. My rear bottom of the fender light still won't work and I replaced it. And I most certainly am not the dumbass my friend posted that I just might be that. Thanx alot After further investigation I did conclude what you said. Also anyone goin to LED apparently needs an equlizer. What ever thats all about.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:42 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

I just read what you wrote.....twice, in fact.
It's harsh, but I am saying you really need to learn spelling, grammar, punctuation and how to put a thought together.

That, or you're drunk.

Seriously Dude. There are folks here willing to help you but I have no idea what you just said!

Old 10-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

THIS is why I come here.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ericschellh
Yes... I'm sayin right here that I put LED bulbs in my bike and they made the lights all work totally wacked out. Just nothing worked the same two times in a row. Turn work front not back. Then they would. Almost comical if it was't my bike.That is why I questioned the amber running lights that are on in the front. My rear bottom of the fender light still won't work and I replaced it. And I most certainly am not the dumbass my friend posted that I just might be that. Thanx alot After further investigation I did conclude what you said. Also anyone goin to LED apparently needs an equlizer. What ever thats all about.
a Load Equalizer is a resistor that adds load to the blinker circuit, that’s what the flasher needs to operate. With the LEDs alone it won’t blink. On newer bikes it blinks fast. This is are how it lets you know that you have a bulb out.
Older bikes the bulbs get bright but don’t blink.
Newer bikes hyper flash.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:25 AM
NewOldGuy
Stage III

I just got a 1992 FLHSTC. No turn signals work, 4 ways don't work. Right rear always on, no power at left rear. It's my understanding that rear amber lights are turn signals only, not running lights. the bike is stock with 21,000 miles.
Lights are original, not LED. Could it be the Turn signal module?

Old 10-17-2018, 04:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by NewOldGuy
I just got a 1992 FLHSTC. No turn signals work, 4 ways don't work. Right rear always on, no power at left rear. It's my understanding that rear amber lights are turn signals only, not running lights. the bike is stock with 21,000 miles.
Lights are original, not LED. Could it be the Turn signal module?
Despite what we have read above I have my doubts that bikes from this era had anything other than signals front and rear. IMHO your front and rear signal lamps should be similar and neither front nor rear are running lights. In any event, I suggest you take a closer look at your rear lights, as one having power and the other having none may just be down to a wiring problem. If anyone for example has lowered the rear suspension at some time the rear tyre may have scuffed and damaged the wiring under the rear fender, there may also be corrosion on grounds or connectors, so do some detective work first.

The TSM of that era was known to fail (mine did!), however check your wiring thoroughly before accusing it for all your ills. Also be aware that there are aftermarket replacements available from the likes of Badlands, who make versions for normal bulbs or LEDs, if you fancy swapping over to them.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Craigny
Road Master
Received 379 Likes on 229 Posts

I thought that most if not all Harley's have only running and turn (bi filament bulbs) in the front turn signals. The taillight is a running light but the rear turn signals should only go on when signaling unless you have some aftermarket setup that has them running or flashing when braking or something like that...at least all of my bikes over the years have had that setup.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 AM
NewOldGuy
Stage III

Exactly. The front are dual element, so they are running lights and turn signals. The rear are supposed to be turn signals only and should not be on with the switch in lights or ignition. Yet my right rear lights up always but should only light as a turn signal.
Add to that, no turn signals work at all, either side. What I can see of the wiring looks good. This bike has been treated very gently in 27 years.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:43 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Then I would think that you have a bad turn signal module.

Quick Reply: on my 1991 flhtc the tail light bulb is a single filament. so how can it be a running light and a turn signal