Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my first road mishap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:34 AM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,184 Likes on 2,253 Posts
Default Had my first road mishap

So yesterday went on a nice 100 mile ride (round trip) to a small town near Mt. Rainier. Headed back home later afternoon and ran into some light traffic near my house. To get to my neighborhood from the main 35 MPH 2 lane road I have two left turn options. The first option has me go into a center turn lane for my left, but I take the left when oncoming traffic is coming out of a soft right curve. Consequently, if there is any oncoming traffic, the first car coming my way in oncoming traffic sees me but any car after the first car won't see me until the first car passes me (due to the curve). Moreover, I turn into a fairly narrow street with a 30% incline and beat up and uneven grass on both sides.

Before I take my turn a truck is coming out of the narrow street I want to turn into. He sees me and actually backs up and repositions his truck so I have more room to get in. Car passes from oncoming traffic and another car is coming but I have enough time for me and my riding partner to make our turn. I initiate the turn (truck also turns right onto main road) but in an effort to make sure I don't get to close to the truck pulling out, I misjudge my turn and am to far right. Bike barely hits the grass (up a steep hill) and all hell breaks loose. Back tire spins and attempts to come out under me, insane high revs and handlebars all over the place. I thought I was going to crash or at least drop the bike.

Dirt bike riding experience helped as I basically go into dirt bike mode and am able to control the bike barely without going down or crashing. Bike stalls with me about 50% up the hill. I start the bike but can't get any traction on rear wheel so I'm stuck on a steep incline in beat up grass. Riding buddy pulls his bike over, pushes from behind while I throttle and I'm able to get out.

Was scary experience and I could have easily went down and dropped the bike. Experienced riding buddy (40+. years of riding) said he was impressed that I didn't go down and said I looked like I was dirt bike riding ha. He also griped that next time he's getting on the bike and I'm gonna push as he tweaked his calf helping me out lol.

Couple lessons:

1) Don't be lazy or be over-confident). At a stoplight I was talking to the riding buddy how comfortable I am on the bike and how the weight doesn't bother me anymore (I basically jinxed myself). In other words, I let my guard down and was being over-confident.

2) I should take the safer/easier turn into my neighborhood (which is just a block down the road). Making a left into oncoming traffic that is coming out of a right curve isn't all that safe. Sometimes oncoming traffic takes the curve too fast and I've seen many cars drift into the turn lane (and if I'm in that turn lane I'm toast). Also, the street I'm turning into is rather narrow, and on a steep incline whereas my second left turn option is a wide street and a less steep incline (literally adds 15 seconds to my commute if I take the second turn).

3) Use my head on turns. I think I tried to muscle the bike instead of using proper form.

So lesson learned. Just wanted to share the experience to remind everyone to be aware, don't get lazy, and take safer options when you have options.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:15 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

you muscled a RGU through dirt , grass and up a hill without dropping it ? i'm impressed ! i'd have dropped it for sure . taking the other route sounds like a good plan .

The following 2 users liked this post by not_so_newb:
shorelasHD (10-13-2018), wolverinehusky (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I did a lot of off roading in my younger days (only don't now because there just isn't anywhere near to do it where I live now) and I credit that experience with saving me several times. Dirt riding does a lot more for developing road skills than you'll ever get in a parking lot course. Even taught me how to eject over the handlebars when you don't see a ditch in time... hope I never do that on a Harley!

wolverinehusky (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 813 Likes on 560 Posts

Glad you are ok. The rides around Rainier are great!

Old 10-13-2018, 12:57 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Sounds like the OP learned from his choices.

You know, that's the funny thing about motorcycling~

You can ride for 30 feet, or 75 years. You can still learn something almost every time you ride.

And you're right. Complacency can be a killer, literally.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:22 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

Question: When you found you couldn't go straight up the hill, could you have let gravity help you back down in a turn so you could then power across the hill or begin a 2 point turn around to go back down rather than going straight up? More than one way to solve a problem IF conditions permit.

Last edited by btsom; 10-13-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:37 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by btsom
Question: When you found you couldn't go straight up the hill, could you have let gravity help you back down in a turn so you could then power across the hill or begin a 2 point turn around to go back down rather than going straight up? More than one way to solve a problem IF conditions permit.
Couldn't turn as the area where the grass and concrete met was ditch like. It also happened so fast and I was trying not to crash on the side of the road to my right and my handlebars were switchbacking left and right (and I was countering like on a dirt bike trying to get handlebars straight).

Old 10-13-2018, 05:27 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad that you are okay and a very impressive save. Yup ... can't lose respect for the danger of bikes. I've been ridding 40 years and they still scare the hell out of me.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:46 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member

This is where I ended up. I actually hit the grass about 20 feet before this. Bike went up grass incline a few feet towards those bushes with a little traction/roll, then I kinda got bike back under control and tried to make it out but eventually stalled with wheel spinning.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:31 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

It happens. You know why it happened that's the important part. We all get lazy from time to time. I try not to ride when I am tired or distracted but we've all been there. Glad it all worked out and you didn't drop it. Trying to pick it up and get it going on that hill would have monumentally sucked. That little ledge on the asphalt could have also put you down.